BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Downgrade over F10?

03-11-2017, 09:32 PM   #1
Herofmine
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3, F10535i, 15 M5,340i,X5M

Garage List
2015 X5M  [10.00]
Downgrade over F10?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Today first time i sat at 540i and one of the first thing got my attention overall build quality of the interior, and i felt dissipated by seeing some details, i have 2014 535i M Sport and i didn't feel anything special about G30 interior.

What is this? Is it from BMW or Honda Civic?
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
remmib1567.50
SDRX204.00
oz555672.00
      03-11-2017, 11:27 PM   #2
stubenhocker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91 2016 F30 328d

You can always be sure that the harshest critics of any new model are the owners of the previous model.
Appreciate 4
      03-12-2017, 12:54 AM   #3
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

What you are doing is called selective abstraction (picking out the worst aspect of an issue rather than looking at the issue as a whole).
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2017, 01:56 AM   #4
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
Thanks. This is the cubby I was asking about. Yeah it does look cheap. Bit lame of Bmw not to stick some felt in there really.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 03:54 AM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubenhocker View Post
You can always be sure that the harshest critics of any new model are the owners of the previous model.
IMO, rightly so, as current owners are in often in the market to buy the new model.

For me, seeing something like an obvious downgrade to something like the cubby hole, gets me questioning what else has been short changed in the new model?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 03:57 AM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZigmundUK View Post
Thanks. This is the cubby I was asking about. Yeah it does look cheap. Bit lame of Bmw not to stick some felt in there really.
I suspect this will be a big niggle for some users, as it will now be a source of rattles, if anything loose is put in there.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 04:02 AM   #7
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Yeah it's pretty lame no doubt about it. I'll see if I can get some sticky back felt to cut out and place in there...
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 04:14 AM   #8
Badger
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 520d, 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herofmine View Post
Today first time i sat at 540i and one of the first thing got my attention overall build quality of the interior, and i felt dissipated by seeing some details, i have 2014 535i M Sport and i didn't feel anything special about G30 interior.
This is a bungle and it's obvious. At the first (unofficial) presentation in September I was told that "this is pre-production version and will be improved". As we can see, it wasn't... However, I've heard that this problem is yet to be solved (hmmm... for those who already bought the car by kind of retrofit or something?)
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 04:34 AM   #9
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herofmine View Post
This is a bungle and it's obvious. At the first (unofficial) presentation in September I was told that "this is pre-production version and will be improved". As we can see, it wasn't... However, I've heard that this problem is yet to be solved (hmmm... for those who already bought the car by kind of retrofit or something?)
I was thinking the same thing when I saw this on the pre production model in October.
It's weird why they made this so cheap, when at the same time the sliding cover in front of the gear stick appears to be of high quality.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 05:56 AM   #10
Badger
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmib View Post
I was thinking the same thing when I saw this on the pre production model in October.
It's weird why they made this so cheap, when at the same time the sliding cover in front of the gear stick appears to be of high quality.
Oversight, apparently... I can't believe this has been done deliberately.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 07:06 AM   #11
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M2

I have never owned a 5 series, but I like the F10 a lot better than the G30. I like the new rear end, but I think the F10 front looks way better than the G30, and the side profile doesn't look much different. Kind of feel if I had an F10 I wouldn't bother "upgrading". Just my opinion.
      03-12-2017, 10:03 AM   #12
babaikram
United Kingdom
Rep

I agree the pocket is really a downgrade but overall G30 interior beats F10 hands down and much better to drive. The side light button referred to by the OP is an upgrade to me not a down grade IMO
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 11:57 AM   #13
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
Oversight, apparently... I can't believe this has been done deliberately.
Can't see that myself. We are talking about a component that was much better in the previous model. Someone at BMW passed that off as finished. Not as if it isn't obvious the first time anyone opens it.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 12:10 PM   #14
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaikram View Post
I agree the pocket is really a downgrade but overall G30 interior beats F10 hands down and much better to drive. The side light button referred to by the OP is an upgrade to me not a down grade IMO
Seriously interested in what makes the G30 interior superior to the F10. I've only seen pictures and the impressions they give, but not seen anything yet which clearly marks the G30 as beating the F10 hands down. Yes, appreciate there are changes and slightly different interior design approach.

Looking forward to the chance of trying a G31 540i to see how it 'improves' on the F11 535i.

Personally I have reservations on changes to some of the functions. Like the indicator switching, auto wiper function, loss of manual face vent thumbwheel, and no doubt other features as they get discussed.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 01:37 PM   #15
Badger
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Personally I have reservations on changes to some of the functions. Like the indicator switching, auto wiper function, loss of manual face vent thumbwheel, and no doubt other features as they get discussed.
Exactly! And that unfortunate passenger mirror without dimming...
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 01:43 PM   #16
nickb3
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

When I had a test in a 520d SE I thought the standard seats were very comfortable, but I was comparing to a F25, not a F10. The indicator stalk felt very strange, and despite driving in poor weather conditions I wasn't aware of anything 'different' in the auto wiper function.

The cabin was very nice, especially the electronic dash and updated iDrive display, but I am not sure the interior is a huge step forward.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 02:32 PM   #17
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
The carwow review shows the differences quite well. The door pockets can hold bottles now. I like the design around the centre dash controls. It's clearly down to personal preferences or perceptions but from my e61 it's a bit of a leap and I'm happy I skipped a generation
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 05:19 PM   #18
babaikram
United Kingdom
Rep

The auto wiper stays auto all the time after turning off the engine. Isn't that better than needing to remember to put it in auto whenever you start the car? It is difficult to describe but the interior (M Sport) just feels more expensive than F10's. Cognac interior is superb with alpine white exterior. I have been getting compliments from friends that use Range rover and Mercedes etc.

Another minor negative: the glove box is smaller than F10's.
The positive include door pockets being able to hold bottles, two distinct 20v sockets, better interior lighting, multifunctional display and ambient lighting and better leg room at the back, touch screen idrive (extremely fast to use when stationary), highly intelligent connected drive that includes google searches for destinations, listing of current prices for different grades of fuel in petrol stations within 5 miles of your locations (very useful for bargain hunters like me) not to mention siri-like voice commands.

I parked the car besides a F10 Alpine white MSport and they are quite distinct from one another regarding side profile, rear and front views to anybody that is used to different BMW models. This is my 3rd BMW in succession.

In summary I find it a huge upgrade to my well specced Pre-LCI F10.

Last edited by babaikram; 03-12-2017 at 05:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 06:33 PM   #19
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaikram View Post
The auto wiper stays auto all the time after turning off the engine. Isn't that better than needing to remember to put it in auto whenever you start the car? It is difficult to describe but the interior (M Sport) just feels more expensive than F10's. Cognac interior is superb with alpine white exterior. I have been getting compliments from friends that use Range rover and Mercedes etc.

Another minor negative: the glove box is smaller than F10's.
The positive include door pockets being able to hold bottles, two distinct 20v sockets, better interior lighting, multifunctional display and ambient lighting and better leg room at the back, touch screen idrive (extremely fast to use when stationary), highly intelligent connected drive that includes google searches for destinations, listing of current prices for different grades of fuel in petrol stations within 5 miles of your locations (very useful for bargain hunters like me) not to mention siri-like voice commands.

I parked the car besides a F10 Alpine white MSport and they are quite distinct from one another regarding side profile, rear and front views to anybody that is used to different BMW models. This is my 3rd BMW in succession.

In summary I find it a huge upgrade to my well specced Pre-LCI F10.
Interesting viewpoint and comments.

Personally I hope the wipers have "frost protection", or it is a backwards step. Plus I don't like the idea you have to go back through the off position for a single wipe, (if I'm reading it correctly). For me the current wiper switching is perfect. Off by default and you can make a single wipe without disengaging auto sensing.

As to the internal ambience, F10 examples can be 'chalk and cheese' inside, black interiors being very drab, compared to some of the trim and colour combinations, which elevate the interior, a feeling of class and better quality. So do wonder if it is simply the same spec' sensitivity for the G30.

Your middle paragraph, with the different features, like space for water bottles, more rear leg room and most of the tech, is unimportant for me. Nothing there that means anything for a better car, or improved driving.

I'm not saying the G30 isn't a better car, just not reading or seeing much that lights my fire, or excites me enough to desire a change from an F10. Possibly part of my 'problem', I love the F10 interior, it really is my kind of dash layout, not too much chrome. I also like the external form, including the front.

I wanted the G30 to make me go WOW! It doesn't, I'm not really liking the front, too messy a design IMO, and those big 'nostrils'! To give you an idea of my BMW taste, for the 3-series M-sport I prefer the looks of the E90 LCI front, compared to the front of the F30.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 09:19 PM   #20
Herofmine
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3, F10535i, 15 M5,340i,X5M

Garage List
2015 X5M  [10.00]
I think it's all about where you coming from, what was your previous car, for someone who is coming from Honda or etc...even 320i will be WOW. I am not fan of new speedometer on g30.
A lot of details that made me pass on this model, maybe LCI version will fix those problems?
This is all i can say.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 01:42 AM   #21
babaikram
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Interesting viewpoint and comments.

Personally I hope the wipers have "frost protection", or it is a backwards step. Plus I don't like the idea you have to go back through the off position for a single wipe, (if I'm reading it correctly). For me the current wiper switching is perfect. Off by default and you can make a single wipe without disengaging auto sensing.

As to the internal ambience, F10 examples can be 'chalk and cheese' inside, black interiors being very drab, compared to some of the trim and colour combinations, which elevate the interior, a feeling of class and better quality. So do wonder if it is simply the same spec' sensitivity for the G30.

Your middle paragraph, with the different features, like space for water bottles, more rear leg room and most of the tech, is unimportant for me. Nothing there that means anything for a better car, or improved driving.

I'm not saying the G30 isn't a better car, just not reading or seeing much that lights my fire, or excites me enough to desire a change from an F10. Possibly part of my 'problem', I love the F10 interior, it really is my kind of dash layout, not too much chrome. I also like the external form, including the front.

I wanted the G30 to make me go WOW! It doesn't, I'm not really liking the front, too messy a design IMO, and those big 'nostrils'! To give you an idea of my BMW taste, for the 3-series M-sport I prefer the looks of the E90 LCI front, compared to the front of the F30.

For BMW to make an improvement on F10 (a car that topped its segment consistently for like six years for quality and in sale) was always going to be a big ask. I believe they have done it. It is like apple upgrading iPhone 6 to 7. It was always going to be tough.

HighlandPete, you can get your single wipe by depressing the stalk once.

Every motoring reviews have found G30 to be quieter, to have better steering feel, better agility and precision; engine for engine compared to F10 and its rivals including Merc E Class. Even Topgear which could be critical of driving experience described the driving experience of G30 520D as impressive etc. This car has won overall WhatCar of the year. We are talking of motoring magazines across Europe and America

I have always found the roundish bulbous rear view of F10 to be ungainly anyway but found the interior to be classy, one of the main reasons for moving from 3 series to F10 for me.

They were not going to turn a car to an aeroplane. It would be the small improvements here and there that would make the overall difference.

Last edited by babaikram; 03-13-2017 at 02:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 02:07 AM   #22
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I have to say though the only thing they needed to change for the wiper stalk was to allow memory on the autowipe feature. Instead they seem to have done a backwards step.
Appreciate 0