BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding rear view camera retrofit

10-27-2021, 02:43 PM   #45
padraigg
Rep
Drives: 520D G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
This site has links to everything you need to do both fdl and vo coding. You can also PM ShawnSheridan and he'll send you his version which might have some additional or newer info.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/c...-links.983244/
It's the coding specific to adding a reverse camera that I'm looking for. I don't intend to change any other settings.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 04:19 PM   #46
Marodon
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by padraigg View Post
Hi Marodon, just got a response from Bimmercode to say coding of reverse camera is not supported by the app.
Hi Padraig, disappointing to hear that is the response from Bimmercode.
I wonder if that is their answer in the context of using the app and not going into "Expert Mode".
I found something about coding an F30 for a reverse camera elsewhere on this forum and they are using Bimmercode but looks like Expert Mode - it's a short enough exchange at this link.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1665408

The big fear for me would be screwing up other things when doing the coding but yet no great evidence of that anywhere on this forum.
I must contact some independent BMW garages around Dublin and see if they do coding. Did you ever get anything back from joe51, he said the coding was done remotely from Lithuania. I think I would prefer to have it done by someone or somewhere more local, just in case.... but it seem to have worked out fine for him.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 05:59 PM   #47
mrgicm
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M

I can code remotley rear camera retrofit if someone needs help, pm me.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 06:11 AM   #48
padraigg
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodon View Post
Hi Padraig, disappointing to hear that is the response from Bimmercode.
I wonder if that is their answer in the context of using the app and not going into "Expert Mode".
I found something about coding an F30 for a reverse camera elsewhere on this forum and they are using Bimmercode but looks like Expert Mode - it's a short enough exchange at this link.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1665408

The big fear for me would be screwing up other things when doing the coding but yet no great evidence of that anywhere on this forum.
I must contact some independent BMW garages around Dublin and see if they do coding. Did you ever get anything back from joe51, he said the coding was done remotely from Lithuania. I think I would prefer to have it done by someone or somewhere more local, just in case.... but it seem to have worked out fine for him.
I just got mine coded and working with huge help from Sasquartch https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/member.php?u=320666

I used esys 3.30.0 with v.4.32.12_PSdZData_Lite and then connected to the car with an ethernet/OBD interface cable - Bimmercode doesn't support this. I used TargetSelector: Project=S15A_21_07_562_V_004_000_001, VehicleInfo=S15A and connection via VIN to connect to the car.

I had issues initially as I downloaded a pinout for the BDC connectors which I read incorrectly. The pin numbers are stamped on the bottom of both connectors so follow those. Because it's a tight space in there and I didn't notice them at the start.

The result of my dodgy wiring was that the module ICAM4 didn't appear when I clicked read ECU in esys. I right clicked ICAM4 when it was sorted, selected code and then got an error - File for "cafd_ffffffff-255_255_255" not found! [C012]

If you follow post #31 from this thread by sashafirst, this error is then resolved.

All features of the camera are working perfectly.

Last edited by padraigg; 10-29-2021 at 06:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 03:05 PM   #49
Marodon
Rep

Quote:
I just got mine coded and working with huge help from Sasquartch https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/member.php?u=320666

I used esys 3.30.0 with v.4.32.12_PSdZData_Lite and then connected to the car with an ethernet/OBD interface cable - Bimmercode doesn't support this. I used TargetSelector: Project=S15A_21_07_562_V_004_000_001, VehicleInfo=S15A and connection via VIN to connect to the car.

I had issues initially as I downloaded a pinout for the BDC connectors which I read incorrectly. The pin numbers are stamped on the bottom of both connectors so follow those. Because it's a tight space in there and I didn't notice them at the start.

The result of my dodgy wiring was that the module ICAM4 didn't appear when I clicked read ECU in esys. I right clicked ICAM4 when it was sorted, selected code and then got an error - File for "cafd_ffffffff-255_255_255" not found! [C012]

If you follow post #31 from this thread by sashafirst, this error is then resolved.

All features of the camera are working perfectly.

That's great news Padraig and fair play to Sasquartch.
This is a fantastic forum and great to see people sharing their hard earned experience.
I ordered a camera from a breakers yard today, it's from a 2017 G30 that had front damage - findapart.ie they show pictures and it's an original factory fitted camera. The guy I spoke to told me he checked it and that it worked fine. It was €100 (including delivery) - I know I am taking a bit of a chance but anyway......
Ordered the fitting kit (66212450878) from https://www.hubauer-shop.de/en/ and that was about €50 which includes delivery.

The breakers yard are supposed to send the camera mounted in the boot release handle - hope they do. Does the new boot release handle come in the fitting kit or is it packed with the camera (66555A1BC30).
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 04:27 PM   #50
padraigg
Rep

Quote:
That's great news Padraig and fair play to Sasquartch.
This is a fantastic forum and great to see people sharing their hard earned experience.
I ordered a camera from a breakers yard today, it's from a 2017 G30 that had front damage - findapart.ie they show pictures and it's an original factory fitted camera. The guy I spoke to told me he checked it and that it worked fine. It was €100 (including delivery) - I know I am taking a bit of a chance but anyway......
Ordered the fitting kit (66212450878) from https://www.hubauer-shop.de/en/ and that was about €50 which includes delivery.

The breakers yard are supposed to send the camera mounted in the boot release handle - hope they do. Does the new boot release handle come in the fitting kit or is it packed with the camera (66555A1BC30).
It comes with the loom kit. The best of luck with the fitting and don't be afraid to ask for help.

Also check out https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/
If you register you get access to a vast BMW technical library.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 01:08 PM   #51
Sasquartch
Major
Rep
Drives: 520i G30

Glad you're giving it a go Marodon I'm sure you'll be able to get it working

Make sure you have esys 3.30, the psdzdata files, obviously the cable, the updated fitting instructions and preferably ISTA/D or ISTA+ If necessary do the research on VO coding. I have a good guide (which I gave to Padraig) which explains it well.

Just take your time with the wiring, it's time consuming taking the various bits of trim off to run the cable and I'd recommend you buy a trim removal kit, mine was this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293514542096
The connections to the BDC are fiddly, just make sure you have your best reading glasses to hand if your eyesight is as crap as mine, check and double check you have inserted the wires in the right pins.

The coding is straightforward as long as you follow the guide. There's absolutely no need to pay any of the remote coding people, some who will charge £50 and upwards for what is a 10 minute job.

Feel free to get in touch if you need any help. All I've learnt has been from various forums so happy to see the knowledge passed on.

Let us all know how you get on with any of your own tips for a successful job
Appreciate 1
themac0.00
      11-06-2021, 07:09 AM   #52
Marodon
Rep

The fitting kit arrived today from https://www.hubauer-shop.de/en and the camera came from the breakers yard the day after I ordered it.
The breakers yard had damaged the handle a little - looks like they tried to pry it out first without getting to the back to release it properly, however the camera looks perfect and thankfully the fitting kit, as Padraig confirmed includes a new handle included.
Progress so far is that I have fitted the camera to the new handle!! - baby steps.
Looking at the weather that well may be the height of it for today.
Are the attached fitting instructions the best or most up to date ones to follow.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Reversing Camera fitting instructions_JM (11).pdf (2.33 MB, 415 views)
Appreciate 1
      11-14-2021, 10:49 AM   #53
padraigg
Rep

Quote:
The fitting kit arrived today from https://www.hubauer-shop.de/en and the camera came from the breakers yard the day after I ordered it.
The breakers yard had damaged the handle a little - looks like they tried to pry it out first without getting to the back to release it properly, however the camera looks perfect and thankfully the fitting kit, as Padraig confirmed includes a new handle included.
Progress so far is that I have fitted the camera to the new handle!! - baby steps.
Looking at the weather that well may be the height of it for today.
Are the attached fitting instructions the best or most up to date ones to follow.
They are the best instructions to use as the original BMW instructions has a typo that would cause you to terminate in the wrong connector.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2021, 03:51 PM   #54
Marodon
Rep

Quote:
They are the best instructions to use as the original BMW instructions has a typo that would cause you to terminate in the wrong connector.
Happy to say that I installed and coded successfully - a bit of a struggle at times but with huge help from Padraigg and Sasquartch I got there in the end.
Removing the trim and reassembling was relatively straight forward.
Most difficult was the connections down in the footwell, took a while to figure out how disconnect the 2 plugs - all revolves around a little white plastic lock that sits at the bottom of the connector. Once released that swings (it pivots at the centre) to the top and the connector comes out. When the connector is going back in that white piece needs to be all the way to the top and the swings to the bottom to lock back in the connector.

The coding is relatively OK once you have done it but did have to read a lot here and Sasquartch's info on the 3 modules in post 36 of this thread got me there, I had just coded ICAM4 with no success until I read that.
I did get some errors when coding ACSM5 (2 I think - warning message like limp home mode) but once I restarted the car they were gone and a warning about a service that I have for a couple of weeks is all that there now.

Thanks to everybody for the contributions I read here which all helped.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      12-18-2021, 03:38 AM   #55
carnivora
If you don't try you'll never know
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E60, G30 520d

Greetings all

Hi all
New to the forum and joined up on the strength of this thread!
I've had an E60 since 2011 and just upgraded to a G30... with no reversing camera. Bought the retrofit kit and a "new" camera from a guy in Poland. Done the install and just getting to grips with E-Sys (3.30 of course after reading previous posts!) Also installed the wireless charging pad while I was at it.
Very useful posts.. thanks guys!
Thanks for the heads up on the error in the install instructions! I hadn't spotted it D'oh! Wondered why both connectors were called out in the illustration.
Will let you know how I get on with the coding!

Update: Camera all working!

Last edited by carnivora; 12-22-2021 at 02:59 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2021, 05:55 PM   #56
Marodon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivora View Post
Thanks for the heads up on the error in the install instructions! I hadn't spotted it D'oh! Wondered why both connectors were called out in the illustration.
Will let you know how I get on with the coding!

Update: Camera all working!

Missed this when you posted but delighted to hear that it all worked out OK for you.
It does feel good when you manage to do it all yourself.
As you mentioned carnivora, I found the information, the detail and just the good will here incredibly helpful.
Well done for seeing it through!!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 02:12 PM   #57
dmirish
Long Term Member
Rep
Drives: G31

Great info lads, do you think it’s harder to do this on a G31 with tricky tailgate? Is €500 a reasonable budget? Going to look at a g31 tomorrow, can’t believe it’s 13 years since I last posted on this site and moved into the Audi world! Thinking of rejoining the BMW family and found a nice couple of 19 tourings to look at but I’m very used to reversing camera with a tricky angled reverse onto a busy enough road a few times a day will look at a retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 03:49 PM   #58
dmirish
Long Term Member
Rep

Well have a deposit down on the car now, so have ordered the kit from the hubauer shop above and the camera from a German eBay seller, roughly 130€ in total which is a great price but obviously it’s the easy bit

Have to get CarPlay sorted first, I though it was standard on uk models but the car doesn’t have it.

Last edited by dmirish; 01-08-2022 at 07:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 02:25 PM   #59
padraigg
Rep

Are you going to fit the camera yourself?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 03:55 PM   #60
dmirish
Long Term Member
Rep

Quote:
Are you going to fit the camera yourself?
Yeah, planning to give it a go.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 11:46 AM   #61
2tek
Daddy Wagon
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmirish View Post
Well have a deposit down on the car now, so have ordered the kit from the hubauer shop above and the camera from a German eBay seller, roughly 130€ in total which is a great price but obviously it’s the easy bit

Have to get CarPlay sorted first, I though it was standard on uk models but the car doesn’t have it.
you mind sharing a Link to the parts...got a g31
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 02:19 PM   #62
dmirish
Long Term Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tek View Post
you mind sharing a Link to the parts...got a g31
The retrofit kit is linked above and I just got the camera off an eBay seller. I’m not sure the kit is correct for G31, the power and earth cables don’t reach. It’s also a lot more difficult job than the g30, in the end I got an expert to do fit it for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2022, 12:42 AM   #63
fanaticbmw
Romania
Rep
Drives: F30 320d Sport Line

Hello, i have new retrofit kit for G30. Many set. Instructions and coding include. Pm
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 02:51 PM   #64
greid
Rep
Drives: BMW G30

All the cabling is completed, now the hard part... coding.

Anyone have a simple step by step guide to code this? I am first time user.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2022, 10:34 AM   #65
Topcat111
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgicm View Post
I can code remotley rear camera retrofit if someone needs help, pm me.
hi there. i've just finished retrofiting a reverse camera on a g31. now it's just coding left. Can you please help. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 06:23 PM   #66
themac
Registered
Rep
Drives: 530e XDrive MSport

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe51 View Post
Posts in this thread (and outrageous dealer prices) gave me the courage to take on the task of fitting the camera. Had never done anything as tricky as this before. A few tips which others may find helpful;

1. I have attached BMW fitting instructions to this post.
Also lots of useful info on removing trim on https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...ody-equipment/

2. Second most difficult part was fishing wires through from boot to car interior. Eventually managed to push a straightened wire coat hanger through to the boot from under removed seat side panel

3. Most difficult was terminating the cables in the BDC connector blocks. Firstly they are very difficult to access under the driver side foot well (RHD) and there is very little slack on the cables Secondly, took me a while to figure out how to disassemble the connector block to insert the new wires/pins. Eventually figured that they are pushed out from the rear after having inserted a small nail down the front of the block to release the locking tabs (unfortunately forgot to take a picture to upload).

4. Thought I was home and dry at that stage until I discovered that one of the sockets in the connection block specified on Page 14 of the BMW Instructions (highlighted in yellow in the attached doc) was already occupied !! Eventually figured out that there was in error in the BMW document. Branch A6 connects to PIN 54 on A258*8B and not A258*9B as listed. The correct version is actually specified on Page 8 of the document.

5. The only thing left was to have the camera coded. This was done remotely by the company who supplied the camera (based in Lithuania) as I didn't have the courage to risk that myself. Not sure what the etiquette is regarding recommending a supplier in the forum but happy to do via PM.

Hope someone finds this post useful.https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/im...es/thumbup.gif
Thanks Joe! It was extremely helpful![
[/B]
Appreciate 0