BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications BMW 540i - Armytrix Exhaust Review (sounds and pictures)

11-21-2021, 09:23 AM   #1
Sophisto540
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i

Garage List
2017 BMW 540i  [0.00]
Purchased an Armytrix exhaust from Extreme Power House a few months ago so it's time to share my thoughts with you all.

Aesthetics:
The exhaust looks great. Really good looking stainless steel pipes and solid, clean welds. Carbon fiber wrapped tips are exactly what I was looking for to match the theme I am going for in the car.

Pictures attached for your viewing pleasure.

Sounds:
Videos will be attached. For reference, I also have BM3 stage 2, a BMS intake, and an Evolution Racewerks catless downpipe.

This combination reduces the impact of a cold start because I've turned that off and switched on the GTS roar. This video is while the car is in sport mode. As I'll explain later, this exhaust doesn't have closable valves so they are wide open.
https://youtube.com/shorts/bGE8QrcZQaU?feature=share

Next video shows a couple quick revs, burbles, and acceleration. I think it sounds nice and deep. Really reminds me of the sounds you would expect from a sports car but coming from a sedan! Again, this clip has the car in sport mode.
https://youtube.com/shorts/wn0y1wKeKUQ?feature=share

For those that are concerned that this sound would be insane for daily driving, I've included the next video in comfort mode. This is still spirited acceleration so louder than just cruising or standard acceleration. I really get a kick out of the intake sound at the end when I get off the gas.
https://youtube.com/shorts/jZMpd1pcEKY?feature=share

Now for the downsides because the looks and sounds are great.

Stainless steel construction: this material does NOT bind to itself, which is great if you plan on removing it easily later. It is bad in that I've had to adjust the exhaust twice in three months to correct the movements that bumps and such cause in the piping. These movements cause the muffler and exhaust tips to dip lower and lower from the bumper. Really annoying.

No bracket support: nothing connects this exhaust to the car other than the bolt next to the downpipe and the rubber hangers in the very rear. Stock mid-pipe has an attached rubber bumper than is in line with the centrally placed chassis bracket. This reduces vibration and prevents metal on metal contact. It would have been really nice for Armytrix to add something like this. Especially since the exhaust likes to shift with driving, which makes the pipe get really close the the chassis bracket.

Controllable valves: this is a dumb and super expensive feature. None of the websites that sell this exhaust describe the installation of this feature and that is because it would make you choose a different exhaust altogether. The stock valves run off of an electronic motor that connects at the rear of the car. This exhaust runs off of the car's vacuum system. You HAVE TO splice in to that system, which is in the engine compartment. This vacuum tubing then has to connect to two valves on the exhaust tips at the back of the car. Thus, you have to run rubber tubing through the entire car's underbody to get it where it needs to be. Thoroughly a pain in the rear.
You also have to pass the OBD wiring through the fire wall so that you can connect the Bluetooth remote in the driver's footwell. All of this extra silliness caused me to just forego this installation and I'm perfectly happy with the sound levels but if you are considering this exhaust due to the ability to control the valves via the phone app, you need more mechanical experience than me or the money to pay a shop to install this feature.

Hope you enjoyed or, at the least, found this review helpful.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 09:50 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Thank you for the review and congrats

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 12:21 PM   #3
Sophisto540
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW 540i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Thank you for the review and congrats
Thank you! The exhaust came in much quicker than anyone expected with the current issues related to cargo ships. Weeks early in fact.

The down pipe and intake also came from Extreme Power House so I've come to expect great service like that.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 01:40 PM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisto540 View Post
Thank you! The exhaust came in much quicker than anyone expected with the current issues related to cargo ships. Weeks early in fact.

The down pipe and intake also came from Extreme Power House so I've come to expect great service like that.
Thank you!!

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 05:07 PM   #5
Zeroheight
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i M Sport

Garage List
2018 540i  [0.00]
Quote:
Purchased an Armytrix exhaust from Extreme Power House a few months ago so it's time to share my thoughts with you all.

Aesthetics:
The exhaust looks great. Really good looking stainless steel pipes and solid, clean welds. Carbon fiber wrapped tips are exactly what I was looking for to match the theme I am going for in the car.

Pictures attached for your viewing pleasure.

Sounds:
Videos will be attached. For reference, I also have BM3 stage 2, a BMS intake, and an Evolution Racewerks catless downpipe.

This combination reduces the impact of a cold start because I've turned that off and switched on the GTS roar. This video is while the car is in sport mode. As I'll explain later, this exhaust doesn't have closable valves so they are wide open.
https://youtube.com/shorts/bGE8QrcZQaU?feature=share

Next video shows a couple quick revs, burbles, and acceleration. I think it sounds nice and deep. Really reminds me of the sounds you would expect from a sports car but coming from a sedan! Again, this clip has the car in sport mode.
https://youtube.com/shorts/wn0y1wKeKUQ?feature=share

For those that are concerned that this sound would be insane for daily driving, I've included the next video in comfort mode. This is still spirited acceleration so louder than just cruising or standard acceleration. I really get a kick out of the intake sound at the end when I get off the gas.
https://youtube.com/shorts/jZMpd1pcEKY?feature=share

Now for the downsides because the looks and sounds are great.

Stainless steel construction: this material does NOT bind to itself, which is great if you plan on removing it easily later. It is bad in that I've had to adjust the exhaust twice in three months to correct the movements that bumps and such cause in the piping. These movements cause the muffler and exhaust tips to dip lower and lower from the bumper. Really annoying.

No bracket support: nothing connects this exhaust to the car other than the bolt next to the downpipe and the rubber hangers in the very rear. Stock mid-pipe has an attached rubber bumper than is in line with the centrally placed chassis bracket. This reduces vibration and prevents metal on metal contact. It would have been really nice for Armytrix to add something like this. Especially since the exhaust likes to shift with driving, which makes the pipe get really close the the chassis bracket.

Controllable valves: this is a dumb and super expensive feature. None of the websites that sell this exhaust describe the installation of this feature and that is because it would make you choose a different exhaust altogether. The stock valves run off of an electronic motor that connects at the rear of the car. This exhaust runs off of the car's vacuum system. You HAVE TO splice in to that system, which is in the engine compartment. This vacuum tubing then has to connect to two valves on the exhaust tips at the back of the car. Thus, you have to run rubber tubing through the entire car's underbody to get it where it needs to be. Thoroughly a pain in the rear.
You also have to pass the OBD wiring through the fire wall so that you can connect the Bluetooth remote in the driver's footwell. All of this extra silliness caused me to just forego this installation and I'm perfectly happy with the sound levels but if you are considering this exhaust due to the ability to control the valves via the phone app, you need more mechanical experience than me or the money to pay a shop to install this feature.

Hope you enjoyed or, at the least, found this review helpful.
Would you buy it again? If not, which one would you go with? Dinan, Rembus, M performance??
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 06:28 AM   #6
Sophisto540
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW 540i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroheight View Post
Would you buy it again? If not, which one would you go with? Dinan, Rembus, M performance??
Short answer is no. Was considering Armytrix and Meisterschaft so I would go with the latter.

I already had an M Performance system so I wasn't considering that or the other axle back systems, like Dinan.
Appreciate 1
G30 B581546.50
      12-11-2021, 10:27 PM   #7
Zeroheight
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i M Sport

Garage List
2018 540i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroheight View Post
Short answer is no. Was considering Armytrix and Meisterschaft so I would go with the latter.

I already had an M Performance system so I wasn't considering that or the other axle back systems, like Dinan.
Thank you for your response 🙂
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 11:44 AM   #8
matty81
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Sounds nice! Sounds exactly like my mpe with decat
Appreciate 0