BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Ambient lighting part help

11-22-2021, 07:22 AM   #1
msk340i
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i M sport

Ambient lighting part help

Part of the dashboard ambient lighting went out. The far ends on the picture. What’s the part number of the lighting strip? Anything else I need to replace? Thank you in advance
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 08:09 PM   #2
RonronEG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i

When mine went out the dealer had to replace the entire wood dash panel. Then it needed to be programmed so the colors were correct.
Appreciate 1
540iSUP703.00
      11-22-2021, 11:15 PM   #3
akuwes710
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30 530i

Sorry no idea about part#, i don't suppose your SA might give you that info if he's cool.

you dont need the entire dash replaced. Long story short, they had to remove my trim, and when they put it back, the wood separated very slightly. Then they replaced it with the new trim which had faulty LED strip, but they didnt have to change the trim again. Simply told me they replaced it with a new LED strip.

Reprogramming might be needed, im not sure.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 08:19 AM   #4
msk340i
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akuwes710 View Post
Sorry no idea about part#, i don't suppose your SA might give you that info if he's cool.

you dont need the entire dash replaced. Long story short, they had to remove my trim, and when they put it back, the wood separated very slightly. Then they replaced it with the new trim which had faulty LED strip, but they didnt have to change the trim again. Simply told me they replaced it with a new LED strip.

Reprogramming might be needed, im not sure.
Thank you for responding.
My SA wants me to schedule a diagnostic visit (and pay for it since I’m out of warranty) but it looks like it’s the optical conductor not the whole thing. The part number for that is 63316824295. I wanted to see if I can get confirmation.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 09:42 AM   #5
akuwes710
Private First Class
Rep

I see, if they're doing diagnostic, which i assume involves removing trim… and you're already paying for it, hopefully it wouldnt cost much more to replace the parts. You should take pictures of your dash trim edges before, and inspect it after to ensure its not separating.

Good luck, please keep us posted on part# and cost breakdown if it gets done at the dealership.. im sure others would run into this at some points too.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 03:11 PM   #6
mrgicm
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M

The light strip is a part of the trim and camt be bought separately. You will need to replace the entire trim.
Appreciate 2
540iSUP703.00
      11-24-2021, 01:44 AM   #7
akuwes710
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgicm View Post
The light strip is a part of the trim and camt be bought separately. You will need to replace the entire trim.
Idk what to say, but when my led is half dead, my SA fixed it without replacing the trim. He said he could get the parts for light strip without getting a new trim
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 12:21 PM   #8
msk340i
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgicm View Post
You mean the “wood” trim? Do you know a part number? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 08:45 PM   #9
RonronEG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i

When mine failed they replaced the trim Fineline Trim Part# 51-45-9-378-022 according to invoice.
Appreciate 1
540iSUP703.00
      11-24-2021, 10:29 PM   #10
msk340i
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonronEG View Post
When mine failed they replaced the trim Fineline Trim Part# 51-45-9-378-022 according to invoice.
That’s the whole trim. Ok thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 07:14 AM   #11
540iSUP
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30, E36

Same thing happened to me. BMW fixed it under warranty, but they installed it incorrectly and my AC vents were stuck. When I got home I pulled the panel off and realigned the AC vents. When I looked at the repair I noticed that they replaced the entire panel, not just the LED strip. I was actually happy they did that because there was a scratch on the wood trim anyways.

The LED strip is plastic welded onto the trim. You can replace just the LED strip, but when ordering a new one you have to get the trim with it. I would only replace just the LED strip if I couldn't get the same trim or if another trim was significantly cheaper.

I wonder why it is very common for the LED strip to die at the ends of the dash like that.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2023, 10:10 PM   #12
tjbuggy2b
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i xDrive M Sport

My expense is your knowledge.

Ok, so I tried this polishing fix with the Turtle Wax Headlight Lens Restorer kit. It didn't really work. However, during the process I realized the back side of the tube has a texture to it. Thinking that textrue was interfering with the light, I commenced to polishing it down to shiny (just in the portion of the tube that wasn't working) with the 4 step polishing pads in the kit. It made a small difference but the second half of the tube was still dimmer than the first half.

In the middle of this, I broke one of the tubes. So, I started experimenting with the other tube, since I was going to have to buy whole stupid trim piece, now.

I realized (by hooking up the dash and plugging in the good light tube to the dash without snapping it in) that by placing my hand behind the light while it was on I could see that the light was brightest where the texture was.

That's when I realized that the texture on the back of the tube is probably there on purpose, to deflect the light toward the front of the tube. So, I took some super rough (like 80 grit) sand paper and VERY lightly scratched the back of the tube perpendicular to the length of the tube. This actually helped a lot but it takes a lot of fine tuning. You have to start with fewer scratches at the light end of the tube and gradually increase the scratch density toward the non-lit end.

I got bored with it because I'm going to have to buy the whole trim piece now, anyway. So, I didn't take the time to perfect it.

So, if you have a dim tube (I feel like there is a joke in there) and are feeling brave, the following process may (emphasize MAY) work for you.

PROCESS PROVIDED AT OWNER'S OWN RISK. (Don't sue me, bro!)

TIP: You can clearly see the texture and future scratches you'll make by shining a small LED flash light down the non-lit end of the tube. With the light shining down the tube, rotate the tube until the texture/scratches are away from you. The light tube will act as a magnifying glass and you can really see the detail of your work!

Be warned. This is going to be super fiddly. So, if you don't have a lot of patience, maybe just buy a new trim piece.

1. Follow the disassembly process in the video mentioned above.
2. Reconnect the dash trim plugs back to the car without the tubes in it, but don't secure it to the dash. It'll hang there just fine. It doesn't weigh so much that it'll damage the wires.
3. Use the polishing compound and get the tube nice and shiny. Don't go to town on the back of the tube. The front is the important part.
4. Plug in the light tube, without clipping it into the dash panel.
5. Place your hand behind the tube, moving it up and down the length of it to find the dim sections.
6. Mark those places with a sharpie. It's ok, all you have to do to remove the sharpie is color over it with a dry erase pen, and wipe it off.
7. Remove the tube.
WARNING!!! GO SLOW ON THIS NEXT STEP!!! ONLY MAKE A COUPLE SCRATCHES AT A TIME, UNLESS YOU FEEL LIKE POLISHING IT ALL BACK DOWN AGAIN.
8. Between your marks apply a FEW scratches perpendicularly to the tube with some 60 or 80 grit sand paper. REMEMBER THAT YOU MOST LIKELY WANT FEWER SCRATCHES CLOSER TO THE LIGHT SO THAT THE LIGHT DOESN'T GET TOO ATTENUATED ("USED UP") BEFORE IT GETS TO THE END OF THE TUBE.
9. Repeat steps 5 - 9 until you get an even distribution of light.

I don't know if this process will make it as good as new, since I broke mine. Most likely, it'll be as good as the amount of time you're willing to put into being slow with it.

Edit: Here is the difference it made for me, just with the amount of lazy effort I put into it.

Not my car but exactly the same as I was seeing...

Ignore the right side being dark. That's the tube I broke.

Another pic in full darkness.
Appreciate 0