BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition Gym Talk! Daily gym related talk

01-09-2020, 11:13 AM   #1761
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Versa-grips FTMFW!!!!

Last night doing cable pulls, narrow and wide. Normally for my 6 sets of 12, I'm using 90, maybe 100lbs. With the grips on, I was able to easily do 120s, and didn't once have to shake my forearms out between sets. When I was doing "heavy" I was only pulling 130 or 140 6@ I felt good enough to add an extra 3 sets of standing bent pulls at the end of everything else. Would have gone on, could have gone on, but it was already 9 and I knew I needed some cold water soaking.

I may now NEED to do grip exercises. For Wednesday.

I may be seeing a name change to "Uncle Cobra"
boooooooooooooo, strengthen your forearms!!!!! Kidding, understand their usefulness, I just refrain.

Years ago, maybe 4-5, I asked this real impressive guy for a spot, I could tell he has been at this for decades. He was a monster, and I respected his attitude in the gym. Just kept his head down and fucking worked every single day. And I know this might seem pretty dumb to most. I remember after my set, he said "if you can't handle the weight, don't lift it". Every lift he did was raw, completely unsupported and he was moving some ridiculous weight. In the past I used straps, belts, all that shit. I know he was probably being an asshole at the time, but those words alone have stuck with me for years. Basically revolutionized the way I train. I thought to myself "well, maybe he's right, who am I trying to impress? Everything I do should be centered around my goal, not based on what is perceived by those onlooking." Stopped using all of my training gear and haven't used any of it since. Again probably stupid to most, but it has lingered with me for awhile now. And before anyone asks, yes I definitely see the benefit in using the equipment, I just refrain.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 12:47 PM   #1762
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

^ Lat work is the only thing I use anything but what God gave me. The rest is more about making sure I have proper form, bending my knees all the time to protect my low back. I actually learned a lot more about my body and form those years I spent doing yoga. Even how to "properly" tie my shoes.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 12:58 PM   #1763
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

You get someone else to do it amirite
Appreciate 1
UncleWede17874.00
      01-09-2020, 12:58 PM   #1764
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
^ Lat work is the only thing I use anything but what God gave me. The rest is more about making sure I have proper form, bending my knees all the time to protect my low back. I actually learned a lot more about my body and form those years I spent doing yoga. Even how to "properly" tie my shoes.
Yoga is intense!

But until you try it especially if you are not too flexible from lifting weights....I wouldn't knock it. It can put a "hurt" on a lot of unsuspecting people!
      01-09-2020, 01:00 PM   #1765
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Yoga is intense!

But until you try it especially if you are not too flexible from lifting weights....I wouldn't knock it. It can put a "hurt" on a lot of unsuspecting people!
I'm hardly moving, yet sweat BUCKETS more than any other activity. I'm that guy who has to take the mat home and wash it before returning to class
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 04:53 PM   #1766
hybrid_eg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 90 S13, 22 MSP, 23 JLUR 4xe

Has anyone heard or had experience with Tonal equipment?
I ended up getting it over the holidays and love it so far.

I'm working towards getting back in shape after 7yr hiatus (the usual excuse; family, small kids etc).. since the local gym is stupid packed anytime of the day i figured turn the mudroom into a small home gym and Tonal worked out well given small amount of space i had to work with (9'X13'). I was also able to stuff some free weights and a bench to mix it up in getting back to glory days, lol!

I'm also going to try outdoor running although in the past I've always done cardio on treadmill so hopefully getting shoes with custom insoles will pay off.. never had issues running but I was never 40 either. I don't plan on exceeding 25 miles per week even when in best shape.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 06:07 AM   #1767
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

So on my way to the gym this morning, and what appears to be something metal off of a truck is just lying in the road on an unlit stretch of highway. It's black, hard to see...and I swerve at the last minute.

Ended up ruining both rims (Apex) and tires on the passenger side of my car. I'm at work right now setting my guys day up, then have to leave and go put on my factory set of wheels/tires to get the car home and properly check it out.

Already ordered two new wheels, but they are back-ordered until next month.

And I was debating going to the gym this morning. If I hadn't...I would have taken an entirely different road.

UGGGGGGGHHH!
      01-10-2020, 06:15 AM   #1768
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So on my way to the gym this morning, and what appears to be something metal off of a truck is just lying in the road on an unlit stretch of highway. It's black, hard to see...and I swerve at the last minute.

Ended up ruining both rims (Apex) and tires on the passenger side of my car. I'm at work right now setting my guys day up, then have to leave and go put on my factory set of wheels/tires to get the car home and properly check it out.

And I was debating going to the gym this morning. If I hadn't...I would have taken an entirely different road.

UGGGGGGGHHH!
Similar issue happended to me the other month. It's pouring rain at 4:45am as I'm on my way to the gym. I see this figure in the middle of some rail road tracks I have to cross. At first I thought it was nothing until I got within a few feet from it, luckily I was going slow. Slammed on my breaks, but too late "WHAM!" there goes my front lip . Luckily not as bad as your though sorry for the bad luck man. It's just the world reminding you that it truly is fuck off friday.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      01-10-2020, 10:14 AM   #1769
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:

UGGGGGGGHHH!
I believe Apex still gives you half price on rims you damage if you send them back to them.
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
VMRWheels2037.00
      01-10-2020, 10:28 AM   #1770
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
I believe Apex still gives you half price on rims you damage if you send them back to them.
I will have to check into that. Thanks!

I am fortunate enough that I still have the OEM wheels with brand new PS3's on them and can afford replacements. So it was just an inconvenience of my time.

I realize that it's petty compared to what some may have to go through if this were to happen to them. So I consider myself blessed.

I have already swapped them out, and back at work. Just got an e-mail that my new wheels are shipping out today (so they didn't go on back order). And I did buy the Road Hazard Warranty with the tires. They barely had 3,000 miles on them.

Last edited by Rmtt; 01-10-2020 at 01:31 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2020, 10:41 AM   #1771
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Good deal. May need to be track delayed incident not sure. But I've used that option once for an off.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      01-10-2020, 09:36 PM   #1772
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:

UGGGGGGGHHH!
Oh man that sux bro! Did the wheels get damaged?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 09:56 PM   #1773
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Dude 2 girls tonight in almost completely see thru yoga pants, I saw it all like a creeper.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      01-10-2020, 11:19 PM   #1774
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Dude 2 girls tonight in almost completely see thru yoga pants, I saw it all like a creeper.
ah yoga pants
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      01-11-2020, 04:54 AM   #1775
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Oh man that sux bro! Did the wheels get damaged?
Yeah....whatever it was took out like a 4" section around the lip on the front wheel, and about 2" on the back wheel.

I hadn't had the wheels maybe 6-7 months, and waited 3 months before that to get them as they were back-ordered.
      01-12-2020, 03:45 AM   #1776
kissme
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 3-E90, bmw-i8

Talking of doing gym, how is your diet? I'm looking for clean eating
      01-12-2020, 07:08 AM   #1777
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissme View Post
Talking of doing gym, how is your diet? I'm looking for clean eating
Clean eating is fairly simple. First set a target as far as caloric intake. From there establish your diet based on that value. Clean eating to me is staying away from a lot of the processed junk. I'll usually cut snacking to an extent and just try to get my meals in.

Breakfast:
eggs, oatmeal & peanut butter, toast, etc.

Lunch/dinner:
white rice, whatever vegetable you want, and an adequate amount of protein to fill your macros.

Could've made this post pretty long, but like I said it isn't hard to figure out. Rather, just need discipline to stick to it.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      01-12-2020, 08:42 AM   #1778
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Clean eating is fairly simple. First set a target as far as caloric intake. From there establish your diet based on that value. Clean eating to me is staying away from a lot of the processed junk. I'll usually cut snacking to an extent and just try to get my meals in.

Breakfast:
eggs, oatmeal & peanut butter, toast, etc.

Lunch/dinner:
white rice, whatever vegetable you want, and an adequate amount of protein to fill your macros.

Could've made this post pretty long, but like I said it isn't hard to figure out. Rather, just need discipline to stick to it.
Perfect post. People make it harder than it needs to be. You're last statement concerning discipline sums it up perfectly. After that....all you need is consistency.
      01-13-2020, 11:43 AM   #1779
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

I pinched a nerve in my neck Tuesday night. I've been battling to "tough it out" but now the rest of my upper back is strained in trying to protect my neck. Wife took me to a sobador Friday night and he WORKED me for an hour, almost exclusively on my back. Relief for a few hours but I'm dying at work today. I think I'm going to set up a regular routine with him though, his deep tissue stuff is what I think I need regularly. The way he got up under my scapula means he knows where to really find some knots. I'm scared/anticipating turning him loose on my hamstrings.

Yesterday I had all the stuff ready and told the wife I would transplant her avocado. Ground was soft, but even medium scoops of dirt into the wheelbarrow was a vicious pain on both sides of the spine.

Needless to say, I didn't make the gym this weekend.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      01-13-2020, 04:02 PM   #1780
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I pinched a nerve in my neck Tuesday night. I've been battling to "tough it out" but now the rest of my upper back is strained in trying to protect my neck. Wife took me to a sobador Friday night and he WORKED me for an hour, almost exclusively on my back. Relief for a few hours but I'm dying at work today. I think I'm going to set up a regular routine with him though, his deep tissue stuff is what I think I need regularly. The way he got up under my scapula means he knows where to really find some knots. I'm scared/anticipating turning him loose on my hamstrings.

Yesterday I had all the stuff ready and told the wife I would transplant her avocado. Ground was soft, but even medium scoops of dirt into the wheelbarrow was a vicious pain on both sides of the spine.

Needless to say, I didn't make the gym this weekend.
I've been going to my guy regularly getting my shoulders and scapula done and it's the best decision I have ever made.

It takes awhile, but I can't believe the difference in how I feel.
      01-14-2020, 08:11 AM   #1781
tony55343
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335i coupe 6mt

I had a tattoo appt this past Friday so I made sure to get my workout in before that . I took Sat/Sun off to allow the tattoo to heal up a tad bit , and made it back to the gym yesterday for some arms/chest and cardio . Havent strayed over my 1825 daily calories since I have started , and /i think tomorrow I'll be under 250 lbs for the first time in years !! Feels nice feeling pants get loser and seeing those numbers go down . Have a ways to go to reach my goal , but I',m gonna keep on grinding!!
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      01-14-2020, 11:58 AM   #1782
Teufel_Hunden
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 6MT LMB ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony55343 View Post
I had a tattoo appt this past Friday so I made sure to get my workout in before that . I took Sat/Sun off to allow the tattoo to heal up a tad bit , and made it back to the gym yesterday for some arms/chest and cardio . Havent strayed over my 1825 daily calories since I have started , and /i think tomorrow I'll be under 250 lbs for the first time in years !! Feels nice feeling pants get loser and seeing those numbers go down . Have a ways to go to reach my goal , but I',m gonna keep on grinding!!
Been jonesing for another tattoo myself.

Have a full sleeve, a 3/4 sleeve, and one on my chest.

Wife just raises her eyebrow though...

What did you get?
Appreciate 0