BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis Anyone had to do a control arm yet?

02-10-2022, 01:18 PM   #1
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

Anyone had to do a control arm yet?

Neighbor hit a pothole/curb and bent his lower control arm, was going to replace it and see about resetting the steering angle sensor to resolve the code and get it aligned and was wondering if anyone had done it and knew of any tips/pitfalls.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2022, 05:13 PM   #2
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

Ill make it echo then.

Just helped my neighbor with his. Looked at TIS and realoem and figured out its basically an update of the wishbone setup from the F15 X5 with the main difference being the ball joint is no longer pressed into the control arm but bolts on, so instead of undoing the massive bottom nut you can remove a regular ole 21mm from the top, no puller needed!

He said the car immediately drove better/straighter and he was able to get the alignment done and the code reset (I only have the old Kcan cable).

The dealer had quoted him almost $7grand because they also wanted to replace the steering rack for some reason (guessing the dealer "tech" didnt know what the steering angle sensor code meant).

Instead $500 for the parts, 2 hours on a Sunday (half of it being getting the car off the ground because my jack didn't fit in that tiny ass hole in the metal undertray) and then another couple just to get the alignment done and have an independent recalibrate the sensor and reset the code.

Dont let the dealer rip you off.
Appreciate 3
paquet629.50
Joe-BMW337337.50
      07-16-2023, 03:16 PM   #3
Kaapo_97
Canada
Rep
Drives: 540i XDrive

Garage List
Thank you!
Appreciate 0