BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions 530E 2017 wobbling at idle and in drive

03-24-2021, 05:25 PM   #45
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW 530E 2017

Haven't watched but will check tomorrow at my local friendly balance place.

I'm running Hankook ventus evo3, really like them as they are soft a quiet and they are now oem install on the LCI in some countries.

QUOTE=HighlandPete;27387690]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CnSky View Post
BI feel the alloys may be buckled, watch the edge it appears to gets thicker and smaller as it rotates which may indicate non circular alloys as it blurring when rotating. If that's the case the two coincidences is more likely that my alloys are bad even after refurb and that the set of 19s I tried which were used are also bad.

Video link below that BMW sent me off all 4 on the balancer just being rotated. They state the first alloy is the worst.
The outer edge appears to rotate without run-out. The face you are referring to is the cut face, that could have a some slight run-out without being an issue. May well be within original casting tolerances.

Were the rims recut when refurbished? If so, that is where the machining 'error' could have come from.

The rim's inner edge would be the place where I'd look for the worst of run-out. Have you actually watched them spin yourself, when having them balanced?

BTW, what brand are your tyres?[/QUOTE]
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 06:12 PM   #46
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Haven't watched but will check tomorrow at my local friendly balance place.

I'm running Hankook ventus evo3, really like them as they are soft a quiet and they are now oem install on the LCI in some countries.
What tyres did you have on the wheels fitted today? (Brand and if RFTs).

When you say OEM... is that BMW approved 'Star marked'? Are you comparing apples with pears?

Could simply be the tyres are too soft for the weight of the 530e. Might not be the rims. BMWs can be fickle beasts on a poorly matched tyre.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 07:22 PM   #47
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

My original tyres were Bridgestone potenza RE50s so they are oem.

These current non RFT Hankook ventus evo3s are star marked and are now being fitted to g30s.

I'm wondering if all my issue are due to the tyres deforming but can't see that being the case on both my old RFTs and my current Hankooks.

Also it would have to be the case the 19 inch set BMW fitted for testing also.

The wheels I used today the brand new 20s were Pirelli p zeros.

My idea is that my alloys and the 19s I previously tested with had similar buckle issues. It's more likely than 3 sets of tyres being flat spotted and faulty.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 05:27 AM   #48
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

What I can't grasp is, instability due to rims, which don't show an 'obvious' buckle and balance on a road force machine. I can't get my head around the similarity to feeling something is loose when in a left-hand bend. In my mind, if that is the feeling and definitely associated with wheels, it has to be tyres.

I've read many times on the forums of tyre changes causing such feelings, where rims are not in question.

BTW, was the Pirelli P Zero a run-flat?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 11:05 AM   #49
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

Pete yes it was a RFT.

Regards instability I think what's happening is because the wheel/tyres are not making the same contact on the road in each revolution the car feels like it looses power monetarily on certain wheels now and again (no routine to it) which upsets the geometry.

The car won't stay stable it's twitchy when slow and then at speed if I hit a small bump on the road at the wrong point during a wheel revolution then the same happens the car gets unsettled.

It's like night and day with the new alloys yesterday.

QUOTE=HighlandPete;27389975]What I can't grasp is, instability due to rims, which don't show an 'obvious' buckle and balance on a road force machine. I can't get my head around the similarity to feeling something is loose when in a left-hand bend. In my mind, if that is the feeling and definitely associated with wheels, it has to be tyres.

I've read many times on the forums of tyre changes causing such feelings, where rims are not in question.

BTW, was the Pirelli P Zero a run-flat?[/QUOTE]
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 11:46 AM   #50
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Pete yes it was a RFT.

Regards instability I think what's happening is because the wheel/tyres are not making the same contact on the road in each revolution the car feels like it looses power monetarily on certain wheels now and again (no routine to it) which upsets the geometry.

The car won't stay stable it's twitchy when slow and then at speed if I hit a small bump on the road at the wrong point during a wheel revolution then the same happens the car gets unsettled.

It's like night and day with the new alloys yesterday.
I really wonder which it is, rims or tyres?

I've viewed your rear mounted videos again, I don't see much issue with the rear rims to be honest. The insides are running very true on the lead into the contact parch. I'm not seeing the error that should disturb the chassis. There is a bit of lateral movement, that fits with a softer tyre. There is also a bit of 'fast' weight transfer at times, which leads to my next point.

I'm still wondering if it is the extra weight and where the batteries are situated. The car may need a pretty stiff tyre sidewall to keep best chassis control. Control at a level that can't be felt through the car.

The other thing that could be possible, the smallest 'wheel' error is amplified out of proportion, to the actual run-out, on the 530e chassis.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 04:49 PM   #51
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

Pete I'm starting to worry you are correct I have my doubts that this is wheels at all and may just be tyre related.

I park on a 15 degree downward slope on my drive. I'm wondering if all my problems stem from tyres not being used much in Covid and weight being applied down and forward.

Strange thing is the old RFTs had the same issue and they are super hard RFTs. I mean one of the hardest tyres I have ever kicked or picked at. Like a stone. So If they deformed due weight in my driveway then no chance for the Hankook non RFTs as they are a soft compound.

But the weight difference between a 520d and 530e is only 200kg it's significant but not that significant.

What do you think. If this is the case I'm screwed as my drive has no level section at all and my charger is in the side I currently park on.

I had planned to purchase a set of slightly used wheel and tyres with RFTs so I make sure I hit both possible problems I see some nice sets at the below site for only 300 euro more than a new set of wheels only will cost me at bmw.

https://www.werksraeder24.com/summer...wr0139922.html
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 07:55 PM   #52
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

By way of an update:

I'm waiting on a response from BMW UK(Ireland).

My local dealer made an out of warranty claim to replace my wheels as they may have a factory fault although it could be the tyres they just can't tell.

Once the response comes back and depending in what BMW say I will be buying new tyres and fitting them to a new alloy set or my own alloy set of if they refuse a free change.

I can then come back and update everyone but it will be a few days before BMW respond and probably another week before I can order new tyres and have the fitted.

Standby for an update then.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 03:39 PM   #53
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

To summarise and close this thread.

Try find a dealer who will fit brand new alloys and tyres to test it as that's how we figured out what my issue was..of course that was after balancing including road force twice, new tyres, alloys refurbished and alignment were done... it all came down to non centric wheels!!

Regards noticing the wobble when balancing you don't see it as the safety cover is down, my guys spooled up the wheels with the cover off to see the wobble in every wheel and videoed it to make it easy to review if the wheel was hopping.

I sorted my issue today fitted new wheels with MPS3 tyres and car drives perfectly no instability or shaking etc.

Super happy finally feels like I have a new car to play with. picture below..I like these alloys as they are different.
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2021, 03:42 PM   #54
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

Pictures of car and alloys.

I think these alloys are super rare as I haven't seen a single g30 with them yet.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 02:30 PM   #55
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

One final note while I solved the shaking at speed with new alloys and tyres the slight shaking on uneven surfaces remained at low speed.

Today plying with BimmerLink I cleared all codes in the history and info section two of which were stability related codes.

They were not permanent codes.

Suddenly no shake at all at slow speeds which is super weird. Maybe the VDC was in a safety mode due to the codes or something but whatever it was the shaking at low speed is gone.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 08:35 AM   #56
vustean
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 530E 2020

Quote:
One final note while I solved the shaking at speed with new alloys and tyres the slight shaking on uneven surfaces remained at low speed.

Today plying with BimmerLink I cleared all codes in the history and info section two of which were stability related codes.

They were not permanent codes.

Suddenly no shake at all at slow speeds which is super weird. Maybe the VDC was in a safety mode due to the codes or something but whatever it was the shaking at low speed is gone.
It is quite old topic but can't find anything else related to the same issue so if you could help me with a question, will be much appreciated
I am experiencing a wobbling with my 530e 2020 when stationary with engine on. Visited BMW dealer 8 times. They verbally accept the issue but because there are no dashboard warnings, the car is perfect...
I can see in the initial threads, you had the same issue but reading down it was all about the wheels. Can you clarify what was the problem and solution for wobbling on idle?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 03:26 PM   #57
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

If it’s at idle it’s not your wheels. It likely mounts either engine or transmission that may need changing. Do you have variable dampers?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 06:53 AM   #58
vustean
Registered
Rep

Quote:
If it’s at idle it’s not your wheels. It likely mounts either engine or transmission that may need changing. Do you have variable dampers?
Thanks for getting back. no, don't have variable dampers. When I was viewing the car to buy it was on lowered springs. I asked to change to genuine ones. I was thinking if this somehow relates but at my local garage guys said suspension/springs are fine.
I visited different BMW dealers so many times and complained to everyone I could. As long as there are no dashboard warning lights on or sensors give bad reading, there are no issues but they did some work like engine blasting, injector and spark plug change assuming its misfire or something. The engine pressure is good and to be honest it drives perfectly, all the power is there. It is just when I stop with engine on, it wobbles badly. BMW said it can't be the mounts... BMW technicians drove with me and they confirmed that something is wrong but they have no idea what this is and they would never write this down as confirmation.
The car starts to wobble only after some time driving with engine on. Seems like something is warming up, but from all the above its not engine. could be even engine or transmission mounts. I am thinking to change these but wanted to ask you if there was anything specific to your 5 series on idle. Any suggestions will be useful. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 06:08 PM   #59
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

Have someone test your vaccum system if controls the hardness of the mounts they may be stuck hard when parked the valve controller could be faulty. Simple swap.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 07:46 AM   #60
vustean
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Have someone test your vaccum system if controls the hardness of the mounts they may be stuck hard when parked the valve controller could be faulty. Simple swap.
They didn't even look at the mounts. The "experts" excluded this possibility as it would show an error in the logs. Thanks for advise, will double check.
Appreciate 0