BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions airbag led lights up and dissapears after about 30sec

01-31-2024, 04:11 PM   #1
alvoryx
Rep
Drives: 540i

airbag led lights up and dissapears after about 30sec

Hello

Just got my G31 540i for about 1 week now. It's not my first BMW, I had a few 3 series diesel in the past. So far I love that car it's something else than my previous A6 C7 3.0tdi 204ps.
It surely has enough power. Let's wait&see how it behaves over the next few years

So today I bought bimmercode to disable (not "enable memory", you read me, I said DISABLE) this... ******* auto start&stop B.S.

and also coded the default driving mode to adaptative

Nothing very special I guess.

So far so good.

Next, I went out for a quick test drive and I immediately noticed the big orange airbag led (located on the roof, next to the big white interior led) which keeps lighted up for -what seems to me- an fairly unlogical amount of time. We are talking about like 60 seconds after starting to drive, and then automatically switches off (and keeps off).

I didn't pay attention to that before, maybe it's just me, like some placebo effect linked to the fact I used bimmercode... But it is not the first time I drive the car by night and I *think* I would have notice that before, because the led is very visible and I don't understand the reason for the car to light up this airbag led so long if the airbag has no issue.

I saw some video in "POV" where this same led features the same behavior (for example starting at about 1:10 :
)

but still, I would like to double check Is this a normal behavior each G30/G31 does ?

Thank you

Last edited by alvoryx; 01-31-2024 at 04:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 06:14 PM   #2
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Normal. The car tests the system at startup. It isn’t a problem unless it stays on.

The manual covers it (shocking I know!)

Name:  IMG_0252.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  100.4 KB
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 12:22 AM   #3
alvoryx
Rep
Drives: 540i

Ok so it was me
Thanks for that, I'm reassured :-)

For auto start&stop forced to be on after each startup, I understand this is done along with regulations

But I don't understand why BMW don't let people select their default driving mode.
At least the sporty modes I could somehow imagine why but adaptative (which makes sense if you buy the option) ??
Wondering if anyone knows the reason behind that?
Appreciate 0