BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) AWD towing capacity?

02-26-2019, 12:37 PM   #23
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 Tesla MY + '23 Tesla MY

Sorry to bump an old thread, but the Canadian F48 X1s are prewired, what exactly does that mean? BMW does not sell an electrical wiring harness in North America.
      07-19-2020, 08:13 AM   #24
AL20153
Rep
Drives: F30 2015-03

Hello!!!

I am trying to install a brake controller (Tekonsha Prodigy P3) to me 2016 X1 xDrive, US model in order to tow a trailer with electric brakes. Brake Controller instructions said to connect its red wire to the cold wire of the brake sensor switch. However, the break switch is electromagnetic and all I see are two wires – a ground (brown) and a hot (blue) with 8.9V. Pressing the brake produces a slight variation in voltage on the hot (from 8.9V goes down to 8.8V), ground shows no change. {Note: I’ve installed same controller on a Honda Odyssey which have a mechanical switch and the cold switch wire shows 0V (brake not pressed) and 12.6V (brake pedal pressed)}
Does any of you have any suggestion where I can get the input from for the brake controller? I was thinking that the switch must have some other wires (besides the two I mentioned that powers the electromagnet of the switch) that will send the break signal to the car’s modules, but I do not see any. I am sure somehow transmits, but I do not see how.

Can any of you suggest a solution? I see IPStevieB mentioned Hitch House in Chamblee GA (Atlanta area) did the installation for him, but I leave in FL and driving there it is not an option.
I was thinking to run a wire from the stop lights from the back of the car to the brake controller input, but I have a feeling it is not best thing to do.

Please help me solve this challenge!
Thank you,
-Alin
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 04:17 PM   #25
BrianJ
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F48 X1 xDrive20i Sport B48

To get back to the original subject, if you spec the towbar option in Europe you get an enhanced engine cooling system.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 09:09 PM   #26
SN2020
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 xDrive28i

Any Canadian owners have experience with an aftermarket hitch? A local trailer/hitch company said they've done it for a few customers but haven't been able to find first hand accounts/reviews from actual owners. I'm looking to do some light weight towing under 1000lbs, such as lumber and ride-on mower.
Appreciate 0