BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding HBA Button Doesn't Always Work

12-01-2021, 09:12 PM   #1
Zuza_Zoomin8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i Xdrive

HBA Button Doesn't Always Work

Hi guys,

I just bought a 2017 540i xdrive with the icon LED full adaptive headlights. I have the HBA button on my steering wheel stalk but it doesn't always turn on the light in my dashboard at night. I will press it and nothing happens sometimes, and other times it will work perfectly. Is there a trick I'm not noticing?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 11:00 PM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Have you got the light switch set to auto?
Adaptive headlights only work if the light switch is in that position. They will not if in manual dipped or "0"
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2021, 11:52 PM   #3
Zuza_Zoomin8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Have you got the light switch set to auto?
Adaptive headlights only work if the light switch is in that position. They will not if in manual dipped or "0"
Yes, I've got the headlights in auto. Sometimes it works and sometimes I press the button and nothing happens.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 01:55 AM   #4
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 520i

Sorry no trick it's a simple toggle switch. Do you have a warranty from the dealer? In the uk there is a minimum 6 months in used cars
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 11:32 AM   #5
Zuza_Zoomin8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephead2004 View Post
Sorry no trick it's a simple toggle switch. Do you have a warranty from the dealer? In the uk there is a minimum 6 months in used cars
The dealer told me it'll only work while I'm driving. But sometimes it only activates while parked. No warranty unfortunately but it's just weird.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 12:10 PM   #6
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuza_Zoomin8 View Post
The dealer told me it'll only work while I'm driving. But sometimes it only activates while parked. No warranty unfortunately but it's just weird.
It depends on what you mean by activating…

As long as your headlights are on A in the switch and it is dark enough out to activate your low beam headlights you can turn in HBA. You will get the HBA green light in the cluster when this is done. Once you are driving and the conditions are right you’ll see the high beams activate.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 09:04 AM   #7
guho
Rep
Drives: 540xi g30

Quote:
Hi guys,

I just bought a 2017 540i xdrive with the icon LED full adaptive headlights. I have the HBA button on my steering wheel stalk but it doesn't always turn on the light in my dashboard at night. I will press it and nothing happens sometimes, and other times it will work perfectly. Is there a trick I'm not noticing?
I have the exact same issue on my car, which is same year and model. The other button at the end of that stalk, 'BC', for the onboard computer display, is also intermittent. Could you try that button to see if it is also unresponsive at times? I am wondering whether this is a hardware or software issue. Because when the high beam assist button works, it is totally fine and never misses a click. Which software version do you have in yours? I have S15A-21-03-xxx.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 10:23 AM   #8
Mach550
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [8.00]
I had an issue a while back where my auto brights would turn on but randomly disable themselves. Dealer had to replace the light switch and no problems since.
      12-06-2021, 01:18 PM   #9
guho
Rep
Drives: 540xi g30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach550 View Post
I had an issue a while back where my auto brights would turn on but randomly disable themselves. Dealer had to replace the light switch and no problems since.
Had to replace the Auto High Beam button at the end of the stalk or the main light turning knob? Did you ever have problems with the 'BC' button at the end of the stalk?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 07:56 PM   #10
BluBlacG30
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i

Quote:
Hi guys,

Quote:
Hi guys,

I'm having the same problem...frustrating!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2023, 06:10 AM   #11
KingPP
Rep
Drives: G30

same here....any solutions?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2023, 06:15 AM   #12
LuckyW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d M Sport

I hope I don't have to explain how to use it, and it's safe for your electronics and plastics anyway.

(without disassembling the components, we spray on the button, we allow it to penetrate and pressing the button several times solves the problem)
Attached Images

Last edited by LuckyW; 02-25-2023 at 06:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2023, 06:43 AM   #13
KingPP
Rep

that have fixed your problem with the hba button? srsly?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2023, 09:31 AM   #14
KingPP
Rep

Still not working...Button is only sticky now-.-
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2023, 01:01 PM   #15
LuckyW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d M Sport

I really don't know what can stick after using this preparation, used many times in the improvement of electronic connections and various types of connections, and nothing stick to me,- This preparation does not making miracles, it only improves electronic contact, if the micro switch is damaged only its replacement will help.

It's probably better to try something for a few euros before you start replacing expensive modules

I saved the multi-function steering wheel flooded with coffee and it works to this day, and nothing sticks to me and the coffee was sweet.

Last edited by LuckyW; 02-26-2023 at 01:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2023, 08:50 PM   #16
RonronEG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElBabo View Post
Still not working...Button is only sticky now-.-
You did you use specialized WD-40 contact cleaning spray not WD-40 lubricating/penetrating oil???
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2023, 09:52 AM   #17
KingPP
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonronEG View Post
You did you use specialized WD-40 contact cleaning spray not WD-40 lubricating/penetrating oil???
i used contact spray....but the soft paint on the Buttons is now sticky. Maybe i will code "Remember last FLA Position" and its done the cheap way without spending few euros
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2023, 08:41 AM   #18
bau33
Registered
Rep

same issue here
Seems related to the stalk - and both buttons (BC and HBA) does not work in the same time
what i observed is that when i press the stalk down (blinkers left) in an road junction, after i turn left in the road junction and stalk is returning to normal - the BC and HBA button are not working anymore. In order to make them work again i need to push the stalk up (blinkers right) and then press the stalk again to return to neutral position
so maybe is a contact issue or a bug? strange thing is as long as stalk is pushed down - the buttons are working but just when the stalk returns to neutral position after is pushed down - the buttons stop working
Maybe somebody can try to see if the same case?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 03:27 AM   #19
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Quote:
Hi guys,

Do you have your fog lights enabled?

The HBA button is not speed dependent, but enabling High beams is.

Sounds possibly like a faulty stalk or wiring.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 04:57 PM   #20
KingPP
Rep

Yeah faulty stalk sounds reasonable.
In german forums many people got this problem. Seems to be a weak point in this generation.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 09:15 AM   #21
covid.na
Registered
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW 530i 2017 M Sport G30

Quote:
Hi guys,

I was having the same issue with my car, the button is not broken, but it is not work all the times.

I was figuring out how to make it work by turning the signal to the right or the left. Then you keep pressing the button and it’s always work. The signal turn must be complete turning blinking signal, not the three times turn signal. While the turn signal is blocking, then try to press the button again and again and again let’s see if it’s always work however, it’s not designed to use that way if it worked that way, So I got mine replaced by warranty, after replacement it’s fixed.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 09:20 AM   #22
covid.na
Registered
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW 530i 2017 M Sport G30

Quote:
Sometimes the technician is not knowing everything we met. Most of time they test car on the move and still. We are using it daily, problem we met they never experienced, like auto High Beam activated at 60KM/h for my edition. But you will see the indicator lid up.
Appreciate 0