BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions M550i suitable?

01-24-2024, 01:37 AM   #1
alexxs
Rep
Drives: C63s AMG

M550i suitable?

Hey All,

I'm writing to you from eastern Europe, looking to get into my first BMW, after driving a C43 AMG, C63S AMG and for the past 6 months a base Cayenne which I hated. As hopefully I'm selling the Porsche tomorrow, I'm back in the market for a car. With the Cayenne gone, we'd be left with my wife's 2020 Golf GTI TCR (290HP FWD with LSD). A very fun car, but not suitable for long distance driving. We work from home, so the normal driving is essentially just a 10kms (6 miles per day) to drop our 2.5 yo at kindergarten.

As you can tell from the car history and how much I hated the Cayenne, I enjoy a sporty car. In hindsight, I sold the 63 more because I was bored of the same C-class interior (C43 + C63 ownership combined lasted 6 years) and wanted to do away with the harshness of the ride.

To be honest, my ultimate dream car is probably an M5/E63, but I don't want to stretch my budget that much this year. So I was thinking M550i.

1. If there's anyone who has driven both the W205 C63s AMG and the M550i, how do they compare dynamically and comfort-wise? I'd prefer the M550i to be on the sporty side, rather than too much of a boat.
2. If sportiness can be optioned in/out, what options should I look for?
3. Have they introduced the particulate filter at any point on these cars?

Options wise (happy to hear opinions on this), I'm thinking of the following:
Absolutely needed:
- Adaptive cruise control (not sure what the option name is)
- At least rear view camera, but 360* preferred
- At least HK sound system
- Ventilated seats
- Lights-wise : are the stock ones on the 550i good enough?

Preferred:
- Nappa leather
- Ceramic controls
- Massage seats (never had them on any car)
- Shadow line (I can probably just wrap the trims afterwards)
- Remote engine start.

Anything I'm missing? The above options are based on various threads I read here.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 01:51 AM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Are you thinking pre LCI m550 or LCI?

There are some differences and enhancements with the lci

Re lights, I had adaptive lights on the pre LCI they were great and the LCI I have the standard lights which are also adaptive which to me appear to be the same in performance terms

How sporty you want the m550 is subjective
It has m adaptive dampers which allows you to put the suspension in a sport mode , ie firmer

Only driving will let you know if that’s to your taste

Only thing to be aware of issues wise are coolant leaks which seem to be fairly common across the range (just look through the threads here)
Engine seems to be holding up well ( tu2/3) to date
Appreciate 2
w1zk1d34.50
alexxs6.00
      01-24-2024, 02:09 AM   #3
alexxs
Rep
Drives: C63s AMG

Thanks for the reply! I've set a hard limit of 2020 for the model year as it's both within budget and doesn't have the chip shortage problems with missing features. So I guess that means I'm favoring the pre-LCI, but from what I've seen, I should overlap with 2020 LCI cars as well.

It'd be very hard if not impossible for me to drive one unfortunately. Regarding coolant leaks, I'll be getting it with the BMW Premium Selection 2 year warranty, so I'd hope there won't be any surprises there.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 02:39 AM   #4
Neusser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 G31 540i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxs View Post
Hey All,

I'm writing to you from eastern Europe, looking to get into my first BMW, after driving a C43 AMG, C63S AMG and for the past 6 months a base Cayenne which I hated. As hopefully I'm selling the Porsche tomorrow, I'm back in the market for a car. With the Cayenne gone, we'd be left with my wife's 2020 Golf GTI TCR (290HP FWD with LSD). A very fun car, but not suitable for long distance driving. We work from home, so the normal driving is essentially just a 10kms (6 miles per day) to drop our 2.5 yo at kindergarten.

As you can tell from the car history and how much I hated the Cayenne, I enjoy a sporty car. In hindsight, I sold the 63 more because I was bored of the same C-class interior (C43 + C63 ownership combined lasted 6 years) and wanted to do away with the harshness of the ride.

To be honest, my ultimate dream car is probably an M5/E63, but I don't want to stretch my budget that much this year. So I was thinking M550i.

1. If there's anyone who has driven both the W205 C63s AMG and the M550i, how do they compare dynamically and comfort-wise? I'd prefer the M550i to be on the sporty side, rather than too much of a boat.
2. If sportiness can be optioned in/out, what options should I look for?
3. Have they introduced the particulate filter at any point on these cars?

Absolutely needed:
- Ventilated seats

Preferred:
- Nappa leather
- Ceramic controls
- Remote engine start.

Anything I'm missing? The above options are based on various threads I read here.
The C63 is dimensionally smaller and lighter, and the suspension is tuned more agressively as it is a full-on AMG product and in a class where there is less emphasis on luxury.

The sportiest car in the G30/31 lineup is the M5, after that I would say it is the 540i. Both the 550i and d are quite heavy, particularly in the nose, so the R6 is a better proposition where dynamics are concerned. It is also a (naturally) harmonically balanced engine, meaning it will be the smoothest powerplant.

As far as setup, everything below the M5 gets the same suspension options, more or less. The 704 M-Sport suspension is used across the range, including the M550. I have brochures here that verify this.

If you want the sportiest non-M5 drive (excluding power), then a 540 with the 704 suspension is the ticket (no adaptive dampers). This setup will be softer than a C63, but more balanced. To get the C63's stiffness, you will have to go aftermarket.
Appreciate 2
w1zk1d34.50
alexxs6.00
      01-24-2024, 03:03 AM   #5
AP
Major General
Rep

Suspension may be market dependant. In the U.K., the m550 only came with m adaptive suspension. 704 wasn’t offered.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 06:32 AM   #6
Neusser
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Suspension may be market dependant. In the U.K., the m550 only came with m adaptive suspension. 704 wasn’t offered.
M-adaptive should be equivalent, aside from a bit more weight maybe.

The main difference in the normal series cars with adaptive vs. non was that the adaptive cars did not get the sport springs.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 06:46 AM   #7
AP
Major General
Rep

I don’t think it is
There are 4 suspension setups on the 5 (not counting the M5s here)
SE
Msport
Adaptive
M adaptive

MSport and m adaptive are 10mm lower than SE and adaptive

Both adaptives obviously have the choice to select either comfort or sport suspension setup depending upon driving mode

Given madaptive is continusally making changes based upon the road, I can’t see how it can be equivalent to msport which is passive

U.K. m550 as I say are madaptive and pretty sure those in the US are and I’d be surprised to be honest if other markets were not the same given it’s the top non m model.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 09:00 AM   #8
w1zk1d
Just here to learn.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M550i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxs View Post
Absolutely needed:
- Ventilated seats

Preferred:
- Nappa leather
- Ceramic controls
- Remote engine start.

I can't speak of that series C63 AMG, but when I drove my friend's earlier version, I would compare it more to M3 than 5 series and it was definitely stiffer/sportier/smaller than the M550i. However, I'm not sure how that changed with their evolution of the platform. I would say that the 5 series may feel bigger if the dimensions of C63 hasn't changed too much, and (to me) like riding on a cloud almost, but not in a bad old Cadillac kind of way, but extremely comfortable- over potholes/bumps, it just eats them up. I still am not used to how comfortable the suspension is over harsh conditions and I find myself bracing for potholes that I couldn't avoid only to feel a slight thump when going over them. For me, that's ideal as a sporty family car. But, in sport mode when I push it, I find the power more than enough but I do feel the suspension could be slightly tighter. There are several people here that have added F10 M5 Comp sway bars and state that has dramatically changed the dynamics of the car while not impacting Comfort mode. I feel like that's a route I may go as well in the future but, I have yet to experience what that feels like.

In terms of options:

Need:
- Adaptive cruise control - I cannot live without this as I drive long distances and amazing on the highway. I rarely touch the gas or brakes when I drive on the highway.
- At least rear view camera, but 360* preferred - this is also a great feature as I park in tight spots and am scared of scratching my rims.
- At least HK sound system - the HK system is decent enough sounding to me but not special like B&O.
- Ventilated seats - these don't work well as my Audis.
- Lights-wise : are the stock ones on the 550i good enough? Do you mean headlights? I like the adaptive LEDs/highbeams.

Preferred:
- Nappa leather - I have upgraded Nappa- really nice feel.
- Ceramic controls - I think this nice but not a must have for me.
- Massage seats (never had them on any car) - the massaging function is not great. Personally, I would do without this feature because it doesn't really massage hard enough for me at all.
- Shadow line (I can probably just wrap the trims afterwards) - Agreed
- Remote engine start. Here in US you need MY2021+ I believe for this. Previous years don't have the ability and those that tried to retrofit with programming went through nightmarish effort. I wish I had it in mine, but I personally like the 2020 model pre-LCI model the best.

Either way, you have a nice list of rides. Good luck with whatever you choose!
2020 Audi SQ7 Prestige
2020 BMW M550i xDrive
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 09:20 AM   #9
Gautam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M550

Garage List
2018 BMW M550i  [0.00]
To be perfectly honest I don’t think any g30 is quite what you’re looking for. What you’re looking for is the M5. The M550i is simply not sporty. It is brutally fast off the line, and not that hard to get it competitive with the M5 and E63 in a straight line. Driving dynamics though, not even close. You’ll get all the comfort and options you want, but it’s nothing like an AMG or M. I think of it as a 7 series-lite, not an M5-lite.
Appreciate 1
xander_g1009.00
      01-24-2024, 09:47 AM   #10
Neusser
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I don’t think it is
There are 4 suspension setups on the 5 (not counting the M5s here)
SE
Msport
Adaptive
M adaptive

MSport and m adaptive are 10mm lower than SE and adaptive

Both adaptives obviously have the choice to select either comfort or sport suspension setup depending upon driving mode

Given madaptive is continusally making changes based upon the road, I can’t see how it can be equivalent to msport which is passive

U.K. m550 as I say are madaptive and pretty sure those in the US are and I’d be surprised to be honest if other markets were not the same given it’s the top non m model.
You misunderstood my post. I said M-adaptive on the 550 would more or less be equivalent to 704, with ofc option to change to a softer mode.

The regular adaptive system has longer, softer springs. So M-adaptive or the 704 would both be a sporting option, weight penalty aside for the adaptive.

I would rule out M-adaptive simply due to consistency and feel, as the damping is in part computer controlled, which is the opposite of what you want when driving more aggressively.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 10:09 AM   #11
AP
Major General
Rep

Gotcha

Yeh echoing what’s said previously, maybe the m5 really is what you are after

I think the m550 is a faster 540 msport rather than a slower m5
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 10:23 AM   #12
BMW012
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M550i CBM/Ivory

Garage List
Had a new 2020 C43 for 2 years, placed an order for a 22 m550i, which ended up taking more than 9 months during covid and still didn't arrive, so eventually picked up an used 2021 M550i with around 5k miles. Drove it for a year and now i'm on my 2nd M550i which is a new 2023. I usually keep my cars for about 1 year.

Long story short, the M550i I would say is a more mature car. Its roomier, and rides more upscale and the selling point for me over the C43 was the HP/torque. Naturally, you will probably drive it slower than your C43/C63, but occasionally when you have the opportunity to punch it, it will feel fantastic.

The C43 was extremely fun due to the amg performance exhaust, rode harsher, but wasn't horrible by any means.

Really, comes down to what "sporty" means to you. Do you like to weave on the highways, or do you have backroads with bends? You didn't mention tracking so will skip that question.

The M550i doesn't drive like a boat, as it isn't floaty, but you will naturally drive it less aggressively due to the size and weight. Once you put it into sports+ it wakes up and is noticeably different and I would think it drives closer to an M5 for sure. It does become quite capable on the highway and you will get a good thrill. The front will feel heavier for sure from start compared to your c63, due to the AWD, which isn't a bad feeling. it will feel more stable. Additionally, it has another ~100+ of torque/hp (as BMW understates their figures).

My biggest pet peeve is that the exhaust isn't anywhere loud enough for a car with +500hp. But if you are okay with removing your resonators, it will sound like your C43.

That said, I am considering a m440i convertible next. I'ts always good to go back and forth to appreciate the different types of characteristics.

Last edited by BMW012; 01-24-2024 at 10:30 AM..
Appreciate 1
w1zk1d34.50
      01-24-2024, 11:05 AM   #13
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep
Drives: '18 M550i|'21 X5|'03 540i

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2015 Infiniti QX60  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW012 View Post
Had a new 2020 C43 for 2 years, placed an order for a 22 m550i, which ended up taking more than 9 months during covid and still didn't arrive, so eventually picked up an used 2021 M550i with around 5k miles. Drove it for a year and now i'm on my 2nd M550i which is a new 2023. I usually keep my cars for about 1 year.

Long story short, the M550i I would say is a more mature car. Its roomier, and rides more upscale and the selling point for me over the C43 was the HP/torque. Naturally, you will probably drive it slower than your C43/C63, but occasionally when you have the opportunity to punch it, it will feel fantastic.

The C43 was extremely fun due to the amg performance exhaust, rode harsher, but wasn't horrible by any means.

Really, comes down to what "sporty" means to you. Do you like to weave on the highways, or do you have backroads with bends? You didn't mention tracking so will skip that question.

The M550i doesn't drive like a boat, as it isn't floaty, but you will naturally drive it less aggressively due to the size and weight. Once you put it into sports+ it wakes up and is noticeably different and I would think it drives closer to an M5 for sure. It does become quite capable on the highway and you will get a good thrill. The front will feel heavier for sure from start compared to your c63, due to the AWD, which isn't a bad feeling. it will feel more stable. Additionally, it has another ~100+ of torque/hp (as BMW understates their figures).

My biggest pet peeve is that the exhaust isn't anywhere loud enough for a car with +500hp. But if you are okay with removing your resonators, it will sound like your C43.

That said, I am considering a m440i convertible next. I'ts always good to go back and forth to appreciate the different types of characteristics.
+1,000 here. In terms of "sporty", the M550 is the G30 to get. The V8 is an absolute beast with torque like there is no tomorrow. It does have some body roll due to size and weight, but those are the trade-offs when you are looking for long road trip comfortable rides. The 540 is not "sporty". It is a great daily driver and smooth as silk with the i6 B58, but the sound and power of the N63 with two real tailpipes puts it in a different class. The 540 is lighter and will handle marginally better, but nothing truly noticeable. Given your trail of cars that you provided to help with your profile, the M550 fits into that profile more than the 540. You could also tune it very easily to M5 specs. There is almost a 200 horsepower difference between the 540 and the M550 and that 200 hp will make you forget pretty quickly that it's a little heavier than the 540. No disrespect to the 540, it is what it is, as the M550 is what it is.

But at the end of the day, the handling of a smaller wheelbase will always be more nimble than a larger non ///M car.
w1zk1d34.50
BMW0121007.50
2022M550i3034.00
      01-24-2024, 11:11 AM   #14
xander_g
Major
Rep
Drives: G30 M550i

Garage List
Go for some test drives in cars optioned the way you want or as close as possible to what you want.

Like it was said before the benz you're thinking of is a full amg product whereas the bmw is not an m in the traditional sense. Both will definitely be better than a base Cayenne though, lol.

Go driving.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 12:02 PM   #15
adhrp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i (G30)/2021 X3 (G02)

Just got back from a drive in my M550i and was thinking to myself what a great car it is to drive! Re: 540i vs M550i, remember that once you get to the size of the 5 series, sportiness is going to be compromised. If that's what you truly want, then get the M340i. But at the size of the 5 series, the M550i is a blast to drive, and unless you are carving corners regularly, I think it will be sporty enough while also being a wonderful highway cruiser for the fam.

Sold/Retired: 2012 328i (F30)
Appreciate 3
Joe-BMW337337.50
2022M550i3034.00
w1zk1d34.50
      01-24-2024, 12:33 PM   #16
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

i hate the throttle response (even in sport plus) and the boat springs on my M550i. my V6 toyota van has a better pull off the line and more supportive springs. but the B&W and the V8 is like a home cinema mounted on a missile (when the computer decides it will finally give power to the engine).

if i could do it again instead of having a M340i + M550i, I'd have just one F90 M5 C LCi - but knowing me, that would probably not make me any happier.

HOWEVER! springs and throttle can be fixed easily - buy stiffer springs and get a throttle response kit (10 mins install).

Last edited by G30M; 01-24-2024 at 12:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 12:40 PM   #17
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by g21 View Post
i hate the throttle response and the boat springs on my M550i. my V6 toyota van has a better pull off the line and more supportive springs. but the B&W and the V8 is like a home cinema mounted on a missile (when the computer decides it will finally give power to the engine).

if i could do it again instead of having a M340i + M550i, I'd have just one F90 M5 C LCi - but knowing me, that would probably not make me any happier.

HOWEVER! springs and throttle can be fixed easily - buy stiffer springs and get a throttle trick kit (10 mins install).
What's stopping you from trading them both in for the M5C? Seems pretty straightforward to me, especially since you are so underwhelmed.
2022M550i3034.00
      01-24-2024, 12:50 PM   #18
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-BMW33 View Post
What's stopping you from trading them both in for the M5C? Seems pretty straightforward to me, especially since you are so underwhelmed.
not sure lol. depreciation (of my cars)? or maybe i know i won't be happy either way (my M550i fun lasted 1 day and once i got used to the acceleration it didn't "feel" fast after 1 day) - M5 will probably make me happy for a week before i want a more powerful car. it never ends. i'll just keep these cars as a testament to the last 2 pure ICEs that BMW made

but to be honest I'd never considered this option. maybe i'll look into it.
Appreciate 1
Joe-BMW337337.50
      01-24-2024, 01:17 PM   #19
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by g21 View Post
not sure lol. depreciation (of my cars)? or maybe i know i won't be happy either way (my M550i fun lasted 1 day and once i got used to the acceleration it didn't "feel" fast after 1 day) - M5 will probably make me happy for a week before i want a more powerful car. it never ends. i'll just keep these cars as a testament to the last 2 pure ICEs that BMW made

but to be honest I'd never considered this option. maybe i'll look into it.
Yeah, the problem is when you daily drive your performance car or top car, the novelty can wear off the the rush of power in week one becomes happenstance. I recommend you get a more conservative daily, then when you hop in the (insert fun car here) it will feel like a monster. I pretty much drive my X5 or QX60 daily and the M550 Friday-Sunday weather permitting. Garaged all winter and what a rush that first spring drive is. I haven't noticed any issues with throttle response. May want to get that checked.
      01-24-2024, 01:21 PM   #20
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-BMW33 View Post
Yeah, the problem is when you daily drive your performance car or top car, the novelty can wear off the the rush of power in week one becomes happenstance. I recommend you get a more conservative daily, then when you hop in the (insert fun car here) it will feel like a monster. I pretty much drive my X5 or QX60 daily and the M550 Friday-Sunday weather permitting. Garaged all winter and what a rush that first spring drive is. I haven't noticed any issues with throttle response. May want to get that checked.
i have a cable throttle NA V6 toyota van as my daily. that thing responds instantly off the line. my BMWs are driven fortnightly at most.

i also test drive a few EVs. those things are crazy responsive with their throttle.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 02:38 PM   #21
Neusser
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhrp View Post
Just got back from a drive in my M550i and was thinking to myself what a great car it is to drive! Re: 540i vs M550i, remember that once you get to the size of the 5 series, sportiness is going to be compromised. If that's what you truly want, then get the M340i. But at the size of the 5 series, the M550i is a blast to drive, and unless you are carving corners regularly, I think it will be sporty enough while also being a wonderful highway cruiser for the fam.
The current 3er is nearly the same size as the 5er.

That is one of the reasons I took the 540 over the M340. The difference in the drive is largely down to suspension tuning in the 3 vs. 5.

That said, the 5 does quite well. The Euro cars are sprung stiffer, so perhaps that is also going to play a role on how people view the setup on an international forum.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 02:41 PM   #22
Neusser
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Gotcha

Yeh echoing what’s said previously, maybe the m5 really is what you are after

I think the m550 is a faster 540 msport rather than a slower m5

Yes, the 550i is a faster 540 M-sport. But it objectively handles worse. IIRC, as a sedan the 540 has a weight balance of around 52/48--and 51/49 for the lovely wagon. Very good.

There is nothing you can do about the weight in the nose other than tune the suspension, and BMW opted to save that for the M5.

But even suspension tuning can't overcome physics at the limits of grip.

Last edited by Neusser; 01-24-2024 at 02:59 PM..
Appreciate 0