BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions G30 5 Series LCI to Receive the New All Digital Dashboard?

02-15-2019, 04:20 AM   #23
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
they'd better do over the air update on this...
From the current set up? No chance.
      02-15-2019, 05:14 AM   #24
gooselee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

If they do an OTA update, I hope that a) they've fixed some of the ID7 bugs by then and b) they give us the option to retain the look of ID6 in the dash. I rather like the circular gauges and haven't warmed up to those trapezoid things in ID7.

I'm driving a car, not playing a video game.
Appreciate 1
reesch33.00
      02-15-2019, 09:22 AM   #25
Bymep
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i; sold 2003 330Ci

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [0.00]
agree. I'd like the option to switch to ID7, and also the option to switch back to ID6
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 10:21 AM   #26
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
If they do an OTA update, I hope that a) they've fixed some of the ID7 bugs by then and b) they give us the option to retain the look of ID6 in the dash. I rather like the circular gauges and haven't warmed up to those trapezoid things in ID7.

You've got nothing to worry about there - No chance ID6 cars will get ID7 over the air. There are hardware differences including a new gauge display unit.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      02-15-2019, 10:30 AM   #27
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottlilo View Post
I know this is old, but what a great find!

Is there any news on whether the 2020 5 series will see the new digital dashboard?

It's really interesting they chose to showcase the 5 series in the press release photos for this.

If the 2020 M550i includes the new digital dash + Driver assistance Professional (Mobileye Eyeq4 Trifocal), I would upgrade from my 4 series in a heartbeat!
I believe MY2020 5 series will see some improvements - like digital dash and ver 7 Nav

July 2019 is big change month for several cars, X3, X5, 5 series
getting new engines and digital updates.

I'm more interested what will happen with LCI a year from that in July 2020? New 5 body updates>?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 02:56 PM   #28
Bymep
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i; sold 2003 330Ci

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyam5 View Post
I'm more interested what will happen with LCI a year from that in July 2020? New 5 body updates>?
a really, really, BIG grille!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 06:50 PM   #29
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 540xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bymep View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bymep View Post
Quote:
New grill looks as stupid as lexus grill. What was BMW thinking?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 07:42 PM   #30
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:

Yeah lots of ID7 issues being reported.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 10:44 PM   #31
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
Quote:

You've got nothing to worry about there - No chance ID6 cars will get ID7 over the air. There are hardware differences including a new gauge display unit.
Sadly, I believe this is correct. Even if it's not, there's zero past evidence of BMW ever upgrading anything. Certainly not for free!

Don't confuse updating with upgrading.
      02-15-2019, 10:47 PM   #32
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottlilo View Post
I know this is old, but what a great find!

Is there any news on whether the 2020 5 series will see the new digital dashboard?

It's really interesting they chose to showcase the 5 series in the press release photos for this.

If the 2020 M550i includes the new digital dash + Driver assistance Professional (Mobileye Eyeq4 Trifocal), I would upgrade from my 4 series in a heartbeat!
I believe MY2020 5 series will see some improvements - like digital dash and ver 7 Nav

July 2019 is big change month for several cars, X3, X5, 5 series
getting new engines and digital updates.

I believe you're off by one model year. My estimation is G30 LCI comes Spring 2020 or July 2020 as a MY21 car.
      02-15-2019, 10:50 PM   #33
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Quote:

Yeah lots of ID7 issues being reported.
Yes there are. ID7 so far has proven to be problematic. And the OTA software upgrades have also not proven to be helpful to avoid dealership visits. G05 customers are largely frustrated and waiting patiently for stable software. Latest rumor is March 2019 update (forthcoming) will include major fixes.
      02-16-2019, 06:33 AM   #34
gooselee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Even from MY19 with full digital cluster? The shape of my cluster screen looks like a dead on match to what's showing up in 3ers/X5 etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 09:06 AM   #35
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Even from MY19 with full digital cluster? The shape of my cluster screen looks like a dead on match to what's showing up in 3ers/X5 etc.
Yes, even from MY19. Firstly I don't think its a fit - there is that little notch on the top of the new cluster for starters and I'm not certain the sides are the same shape. But even if it were a physical fit, it is a different cluster. In addition, the new cluster requires ID7. I would hazard a guess that you would probably need a new HU to get ID7.

All of that aside, as said above, manufacturers do not give anything away. Why would you buy a newer car/LCI if they simply updated existing models to match?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 12:02 PM   #36
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Stay away from ID7. Buggy as hell.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 01:39 PM   #37
MikeElmendorf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5/2021 M550

Again, as someone with an iDrive 6 and iDrive 7 car, I'd caution against the idea that 7 is an automatic upgrade. I'd be much happier with our 2019 X5 if it had Drive 6 (and the same full digital dash as my 5 series).
Appreciate 1
530iDriver1707.50
      02-19-2019, 09:27 AM   #38
gooselee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, even from MY19. Firstly I don't think its a fit - there is that little notch on the top of the new cluster for starters and I'm not certain the sides are the same shape. But even if it were a physical fit, it is a different cluster. In addition, the new cluster requires ID7. I would hazard a guess that you would probably need a new HU to get ID7.

All of that aside, as said above, manufacturers do not give anything away. Why would you buy a newer car/LCI if they simply updated existing models to match?
Gotcha - makes sense. I haven't spent much time with ID7 in person so only have online pictures to go off of. I don't really want ID7 actually, was more just curious about the compatibility.

I agree that BMW (or any business with a brain) will look for ways to monetize new tech anytime they can.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 07:27 AM   #39
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Gotcha - makes sense. I haven't spent much time with ID7 in person so only have online pictures to go off of. I don't really want ID7 actually, was more just curious about the compatibility.

I agree that BMW (or any business with a brain) will look for ways to monetize new tech anytime they can.
You got it! Manufacturers live off repeat business. Remember when people bought cars and kept them 10 years? That was terrible for business. Hence these constant new 'must have' latest features.

With regards to the ID7 hardware, albeit BMW have kept a consistent look, they are using new equipment. No doubt someone will come along with a retrofit kit like they have done for every previous version of iDrive, but only a handful of people will take it up because of the cost and work involved for what never feels like 'a total revolution'.

For now, ID6 works and works well. I'll look forward to ID7 in the LCI G30 when (hopefully) they have fixed all the bugs. Still not sure on the backwards rev counter though...
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 09:22 AM   #40
Soussef24
Rep
Drives: Volvo XC60 D5 Momentum MY11

Quote:
You got it! Manufacturers live off repeat business. Remember when people bought cars and kept them 10 years? That was terrible for business. Hence these constant new 'must have' latest features.

With regards to the ID7 hardware, albeit BMW have kept a consistent look, they are using new equipment. No doubt someone will come along with a retrofit kit like they have done for every previous version of iDrive, but only a handful of people will take it up because of the cost and work involved for what never feels like 'a total revolution'.

For now, ID6 works and works well. I'll look forward to ID7 in the LCI G30 when (hopefully) they have fixed all the bugs. Still not sure on the backwards rev counter though...
Even if you are right that this is the mainstream reasoning among car manufacturers' marketing departments and mainly the German ones. I do not agree this approach/strategy makes sense (anymore) and think it will quickly stop to be sustainable.

You cannot expect customers to switch cars because of a small operating system update at the HU level. Most of customers don't care and don't notice those changes when an LCI passes by. And for most of those customers who notice those changes, they are only frustrated that the manufacturer expects them to upgrade to the newer model and lose a great amount of money through devaluation...

Today, everybody is used to OTA software updates, and manufacturers like Tesla push the model to a great extent which is really to the benefit of the customers. With this approach, my opinion is that the brand would benefit much more from customer satisfaction and turn it into customer loyalty! Especially that, the value of moving from ID6 to ID7 isn't huge, but it's a nice have that customers would be sensitive to.

Moreover if you look at how BMW (and other traditional manufacturer) build their cars and options, it is a nightmare of logistic, part numbers, manufacturing processes, etc. Which makes the options far more expensive than what they are really worth... Look at the different levels (at least five if I recall) of Park Assist that BMW has, each with different hardware and control units, and mix that with the different aesthetic options (for instance side mirror cameras with glossy black plastic covers or mate plastic), then with different generations and year models, and it quickly turn into a nightmare that probably costs more than the option itself.

If you compare that to the fact that Tesla decided for their Model 3 to put additional battery capacity built-in, and activate it over the air, if the customer pays for the option, you understand how behind the curve traditional car makers really are!

Last edited by Soussef24; 06-25-2019 at 10:42 AM..
Appreciate 1
munna129.00
      06-25-2019, 04:57 PM   #41
gooselee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soussef24 View Post
Even if you are right that this is the mainstream reasoning among car manufacturers' marketing departments and mainly the German ones. I do not agree this approach/strategy makes sense (anymore) and think it will quickly stop to be sustainable.

You cannot expect customers to switch cars because of a small operating system update at the HU level. Most of customers don't care and don't notice those changes when an LCI passes by. And for most of those customers who notice those changes, they are only frustrated that the manufacturer expects them to upgrade to the newer model and lose a great amount of money through devaluation...

Today, everybody is used to OTA software updates, and manufacturers like Tesla push the model to a great extent which is really to the benefit of the customers. With this approach, my opinion is that the brand would benefit much more from customer satisfaction and turn it into customer loyalty! Especially that, the value of moving from ID6 to ID7 isn't huge, but it's a nice have that customers would be sensitive to.

Moreover if you look at how BMW (and other traditional manufacturer) build their cars and options, it is a nightmare of logistic, part numbers, manufacturing processes, etc. Which makes the options far more expensive than what they are really worth... Look at the different levels (at least five if I recall) of Park Assist that BMW has, each with different hardware and control units, and mix that with the different aesthetic options (for instance side mirror cameras with glossy black plastic covers or mate plastic), then with different generations and year models, and it quickly turn into a nightmare that probably costs more than the option itself.

If you compare that to the fact that Tesla decided for their Model 3 to put additional battery capacity built-in, and activate it over the air, if the customer pays for the option, you understand how behind the curve traditional car makers really are!
While I personally don't disagree that updating the same car is what *I* would want, I think this misses that about one-third of new car transactions (at least in the US) are leases. And that number is growing. We're also seeing the initial success of car subscription and car-sharing services where you don't have the same car for your term or even just pay-per-use from a fleet. Traditional auto ownership is very much separating from the asset ownership model of the past.

The constantly changing tech reinforces that trend by encouraging people to stay in the lease cycle in order to get new hardware and tech every 2-3 years. Downstream, this also supplies the pre-owned market with a bunch of 2-3 year-old vehicles, with that supply driving down costs to obtain those preowned cars and encouraging even the used car market to move toward vehicles that are only 2-3 years old vs. 4-5 or more.

End result is you have more churn throughout the industry - new car lessees are getting a new car every 2 years, and used car purchasers have their pick of newer pre-owneds to cycle through faster as well. All of this keeps production #s up year to year and the money flowing through the entire food chain.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 08:42 PM   #42
///M-er-gized
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i

I like the new digital display, but I like the current digital display too. I'm happy with what I got. So I really don't care one way or the other.