BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board My New Hobby - Shipping Container Homes

05-10-2019, 02:25 PM   #45
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd307 View Post
Have you guys checked on city codes, state regulations, etc...? Those would be bigger issues than the product and design.

Another thing to consider is the politics. You are trying to undercut a traditional home builder.

My uncle used to import these container homes from China to New Zealand (4-5 years ago). There were a lot of regulations involved and he eventually did not find it to be worth the time and moved on to other business.

Another area that may worth for you to look into is the commercial/industrial side. For example, providing office spaces or warehouse spaces. Less restrictions.
I know there's a Mexican restaurant in Hamilton Ontario that's used containers.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      05-10-2019, 02:26 PM   #46
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

These container homes are pretty cool, I have definitely looked into them before. Good luck on the venture and look forward to seeing your first one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd307 View Post
Have you guys checked on city codes, state regulations, etc...? Those would be bigger issues than the product and design.
Yeah I'm sure other states are way more lenient but from what I saw about building a container home in CA it was kind of pointless since the building codes and stuff are ridiculous. Pretty much have to frame up the whole container which at that point why not just build an actual regular wood framed house.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      05-10-2019, 02:28 PM   #47
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjm120 View Post
Very interesting. I think this is something that could take off.

Good luck on this!

PS. Remember your BMW fan friends when you do your IPO.
Thanks!

The IPO will probably be on the Pharma side, not this...

Cheers-mk
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 1
gjm1202180.00
      05-10-2019, 02:31 PM   #48
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love_Hounds View Post
HGTV already has a show around this style of construction: https://www.hgtv.com/shows/container-homes

That being said, I think it is a great up-cycling use of conex boxes (shipping containers).
Thank and Yes!

That show was one of the research points and helped to drive the decision to move forward.

Cheers-mk
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 02:34 PM   #49
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post
The models pictured in the OP look amazing!!

I wish you nothing but success as you expand on your new hobby.

Would you be able to build these on any lot or space in the US...?

Please forgive my ignorance on this topic, as I have been serving since I was 19, so never looked into buying or owning property as a single Male minimalist, who has to pick up stakes every 3-5 years.

If possible, I would love to reach out to you in about 3 years when it's time to retire because if there can be built pretty much anywhere, I would love a model designed similar to some of the pics that have a modern, self sustaining design for a guy who just wants a place to enjoy working on fixing and cleaning my toys and enjoying a drink in front of an amazing home entertainment system as I start a new career field.

Keep me in mind!
Thanks for your service.

Whenever you are ready I will give you the plans for nothing and help walk you through the construction acquisition and construction of your materials.

Now about me using that Duc during the weekend you're assembling your home...

Cheers-mk
Appreciate 2
      05-10-2019, 02:34 PM   #50
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Super cool, MK! But will there be enough room in the livingroom for me to get my prancercize on? Gotta keep in shape you know.
Appreciate 5
MKSixer34171.50
SakhirM410783.00
      05-10-2019, 02:35 PM   #51
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Super cool, MK! But will there be enough room in the livingroom for me to get my prancercize on? Gotta keep in shape you know.
Stop! Please! My eyes are still bleeding.
      05-10-2019, 02:43 PM   #52
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
Exactly what the wife says when she catches me doing my prancercize exercises in my undies.
Appreciate 2
MKSixer34171.50
      05-10-2019, 02:50 PM   #53
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
With many housing markets in need of starter and entry level homes, this should be a huge success. I would imagine one of the bigger hurdles with a project like this getting the buy in from cities and counties for approval to build what is probably considered non-standard construction. This is an awesome project. I wish you the best of luck.
Thanks Jason.

These are great points and the team we have assembled has politics in mind. The foray in the underserved housing market for entry level homes is based on creating a market wedge in that market. The reason for this are manifold:

1. Introduce the planning commission to the concept as a solution for their challenge of entry level and low-income homes which are exciting and affordable. (Begins Tuesday)

2. Use positive PR for the project to engage local sustainability advocates and get their buy-in on the project and political horsepower on their side. (Starts Thursday)

3. Use the first completed home as a model for any potential political stakeholders.

4. Engage a local media partner (already done) to provide air cover and normalize the concept within the community.

5. Find the local hipster population and get their buy in. (J/K)

These are broad strokes but provide a basic framework of our intentions.

Cheers-mk
Appreciate 2
SakhirM410783.00
      05-10-2019, 02:53 PM   #54
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
I will help you find a piece of land large enough to Prancercize like a fiend. Because it does actually make you a fiend!

Quote:
Is this a request for me to put the video up?

Quote:
Exactly what the wife says when she catches me doing my prancercize exercises in my undies.
Take it to PM with cmyx6go!!
Appreciate 3
DETRoadster11446.00
cmyx6go15560.00
      05-10-2019, 03:21 PM   #55
arkie6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
How do you insulate these homes to get them up to code minimum? Insulation inside the metal shell or outside the shell?
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      05-10-2019, 03:42 PM   #56
CLABRO
THUNDER UP!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Sport G30

Garage List
I'm surprised how many people on here have never seen/heard about building with shipping containers! Maybe since I'm a millennial and my generation is part of the "waiting longer to start a family and buying your first home because of student debt" movement lol, but I stumbled upon shipping container homes for their relatively low cost compared to traditional builds and the modern/contemporary aesthetics of them.

The shipping containers themselves come in various lengths and heights and once you start moving them around like legos, putting in windows/walls, incorporating other material with the containers, paint, etc. you'll be shocked how similar they can look to a regular home (on the inside and outside). Obviously, you can keep them looking exactly as a shipping container (raw and rusted) or you can incorporate it into your more contemporary design and use them as elements which is how most of the photos show them that the OP posted.

Another great thing about them is that they are quite energy efficient and strong once a foundation is poured and price per sq/feet wise, you can't beat it. What's more, your average shipping container home can be completed in less than 4 weeks.

I've actually kept a note in my phone for the last 18 months that I update every so often detailing what I'd want in my shipping container loft. There are quite a few blogs/websites out there that have great content. YouTube is also a great place to find them as they can sometimes be mixed in with tiny homes even though they aren't tiny lol.

Good luck with your endeavor! I wish you nothing but the best. I think it's a great idea and coming from someone like myself, I think you'll get a lot of interest.

G30 l Alpine White l M Sport Package l Executive Tier l Icon Adaptive Full LED Headlights l Mocha Nappa Leather l Multi-Contour Seats l Drivers Assistance Package l Drivers Assistance Plus Package l Dynamic Handling Package l Parking Assistance Package l Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System l M Sport Brakes l Apple Carplay
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      05-10-2019, 04:46 PM   #57
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkie6 View Post
How do you insulate these homes to get them up to code minimum? Insulation inside the metal shell or outside the shell?
Thanks for the question. Spray in insulation inside the standard framework we will install. Basically a frame, similar to that of stick-built construction is placed inside the container to increase rigidity as well as provide the foundation hide conduits for wiring and piping as well as to hang the sheetrock.

It's not dissimilar from stick-built in many ways however the economy with beginning from a semi-completed structure is nearly unbeatable.

Cheers-mk
Appreciate 1
SakhirM410783.00
      05-10-2019, 04:50 PM   #58
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLABRO View Post
I'm surprised how many people on here have never seen/heard about building with shipping containers! Maybe since I'm a millennial and my generation is part of the "waiting longer to start a family and buying your first home because of student debt" movement lol, but I stumbled upon shipping container homes for their relatively low cost compared to traditional builds and the modern/contemporary aesthetics of them.

The shipping containers themselves come in various lengths and heights and once you start moving them around like legos, putting in windows/walls, incorporating other material with the containers, paint, etc. you'll be shocked how similar they can look to a regular home (on the inside and outside). Obviously, you can keep them looking exactly as a shipping container (raw and rusted) or you can incorporate it into your more contemporary design and use them as elements which is how most of the photos show them that the OP posted.

Another great thing about them is that they are quite energy efficient and strong once a foundation is poured and price per sq/feet wise, you can't beat it. What's more, your average shipping container home can be completed in less than 4 weeks.

I've actually kept a note in my phone for the last 18 months that I update every so often detailing what I'd want in my shipping container loft. There are quite a few blogs/websites out there that have great content. YouTube is also a great place to find them as they can sometimes be mixed in with tiny homes even though they aren't tiny lol.

Good luck with your endeavor! I wish you nothing but the best. I think it's a great idea and coming from someone like myself, I think you'll get a lot of interest.
Thanks for the input!

Like many, I had seen it but didn't take the time to delve into it in any detail until an opportunity and need arose.

I think your demographic is perfect for this type of home and should accelerate the ability of first time home buyers in many places to purchase a home of good quality at a reasonable price.

I'll definitely keep the thread updated.

Cheers-mk
Appreciate 1
SakhirM410783.00
      05-10-2019, 04:59 PM   #59
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
This is uber cool - please keep us posted.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      05-10-2019, 05:05 PM   #60
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLABRO View Post

I have seen some shipping container builds for commercial use around here, and a few one off home builds using containers online. I have yet to see larger housing projects/developments use them though, so that's what I find highly intriguing about this project.
      05-10-2019, 05:34 PM   #61
9vapors
Major
Rep
Drives: CB X5M

Most of the larger shipping containers are insulated already. I spent years living in these in the military, one of our checkpoints also had one that we worked out of. In Afghanistan, we lived out of them, showers, and all. If you want to sign on a network engineer as well, I'm always available. I'm in the Des Moines area.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
      05-10-2019, 06:19 PM   #62
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Long ago and far away in my previous life I worked for a foreign freight forwarder. Steamship lines at the time were apprehensive about shipping to certain African countries (don’t recall if east or west Africa) because people were stealing or not returning the empty containers and living in them. Obviously they were just living in the shell of the steel container. Who would have thought this could be done. Great idea and opportunity for gentrification and affordable housing.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      05-10-2019, 09:46 PM   #63
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 330i xDrive

Garage List
Very interested - right now we're working on a project/challenge called the Solar Decathlon with some friends from school, and our design is very similar to the whole concept of a self-sufficient container home (net zero design is the objective).

If I remember correctly a team from Netherlands(?) built a lego-like structure using containers/something very similar to containers a few years ago for solar decathlon. I'll PM you if I find it

Also, maybe I'm not the one to say this to you but look into modular construction past just shipping containers. The industry is heading that way and it's very promising - Skender for example has a few prototypes of modular homes. Their chief design officer especially has a very big hard on for modular construction.

Let me know if you guys are hiring interns
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      05-11-2019, 12:47 AM   #64
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
I know there's a Mexican restaurant in Hamilton Ontario that's used containers.
Thanks for the info. Now the real question is whether or not they serve some horrible bastardized version of Mexican Poutine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
These container homes are pretty cool, I have definitely looked into them before. Good luck on the venture and look forward to seeing your first one.

Yeah I'm sure other states are way more lenient but from what I saw about building a container home in CA it was kind of pointless since the building codes and stuff are ridiculous. Pretty much have to frame up the whole container which at that point why not just build an actual regular wood framed house.
The head of the planning and zoning committee is my fraternity brother. We will work closely to educate him, the department and his inspectors which should reduce the learning curve and cut through any red tape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlstyle View Post
This is uber cool - please keep us posted.
Thanks! Will do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9vapors View Post
Most of the larger shipping containers are insulated already. I spent years living in these in the military, one of our checkpoints also had one that we worked out of. In Afghanistan, we lived out of them, showers, and all. If you want to sign on a network engineer as well, I'm always available. I'm in the Des Moines area.
Awesome information! I will PM you as we get closer to chat a bit though Des Moines is a bit of a long commute to Louisiana!!

Quote:
Long ago and far away in my previous life I worked for a foreign freight forwarder. Steamship lines at the time were apprehensive about shipping to certain African countries (don’t recall if east or west Africa) because people were stealing or not returning the empty containers and living in them. Obviously they were just living in the shell of the steel container. Who would have thought this could be done. Great idea and opportunity for gentrification and affordable housing.
Thanks! It's amazing how many of these containers are in existence. Since I've been doing the research, I've tried to put a number on them but it's clearly a fools' errand. For the affordable housing venture, we are attempting to get both the land donated by the city and the containers donated by many different organizations. The lower we can keep the hard costs, the more affordable the housing can be for the families. We have a unique opportunity with the revitalization pice: We can actually work to keep families in the area and not price them out of the market. It will be a win win and allow a blending of new and vital energy into neighborhoods without destroying the history of the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Pickle View Post
Very interested - right now we're working on a project/challenge called the Solar Decathlon with some friends from school, and our design is very similar to the whole concept of a self-sufficient container home (net zero design is the objective).

If I remember correctly a team from Netherlands(?) built a lego-like structure using containers/something very similar to containers a few years ago for solar decathlon. I'll PM you if I find it

Also, maybe I'm not the one to say this to you but look into modular construction past just shipping containers. The industry is heading that way and it's very promising - Skender for example has a few prototypes of modular homes. Their chief design officer especially has a very big hard on for modular construction.

Let me know if you guys are hiring interns
Thanks for the update Pickle! It's good to be posting outside of the Dating Thread!

There are quite a few fantastic designs from Europe and they definitely provide a guidepost for the team. I do love the modular construction and think it has it's place. I think the two design theories exist to complement each other. I like the recycling and sustainability achieved using the containers. Speed of construction is an advantage both share as well as ultimate flexibility.

PM me if you get any additional information or place it up here! Thanks!
Cheers-mk
Appreciate 3
      05-13-2019, 09:27 AM   #65
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
Quote:
The models pictured in the OP look amazing!!

I wish you nothing but success as you expand on your new hobby.

Would you be able to build these on any lot or space in the US...?

Please forgive my ignorance on this topic, as I have been serving since I was 19, so never looked into buying or owning property as a single Male minimalist, who has to pick up stakes every 3-5 years.

If possible, I would love to reach out to you in about 3 years when it's time to retire because if there can be built pretty much anywhere, I would love a model designed similar to some of the pics that have a modern, self sustaining design for a guy who just wants a place to enjoy working on fixing and cleaning my toys and enjoying a drink in front of an amazing home entertainment system as I start a new career field.

Keep me in mind!
Thanks for your service.

Whenever you are ready I will give you the plans for nothing and help walk you through the construction acquisition and construction of your materials.

Now about me using that Duc during the weekend you're assembling your home...

Cheers-mk
I will definitely reach out when the time is right.

As far as the Duc goes, I'm waiting to see how the 100 year anniversario intrigues me when it debuts in/around 2024-2025... I'll let you take that one out for a spin after my house is built
      05-13-2019, 09:40 AM   #66
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
I will definitely reach out when the time is right.

As far as the Duc goes, I'm waiting to see how the 100 year anniversario intrigues me when it debuts in/around 2024-2025... I'll let you take that one out for a spin after my house is built
Deal!

I still want a Desmo.
I heard one when they were introduced and was hypnotized.

Start looking at property in the areas you like start looking at tax sales and sheriff's sales to save money.
Appreciate 1