BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding BMW navigation vs waze

12-21-2021, 07:09 AM   #1
ppendyck
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550

BMW navigation vs waze

I realize that the BMW navigation does not have police alerts but what is the feeling of the BMW route guidance?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 08:24 AM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I think this needs to be broken out into 2 parts

The software and the map data

I'm in the U.K. and find (like the satnav that was in my previous f10) to be very good indeed

With the addition of RTTI over the top, it provides good routes around traffic info updated I believe every 3 minutes.

The software itself I find good and the map data again seems to be good

I think the map data however will be supplied by different OEMs in different regions and so the view of the satnav may be down to how good the map data is when the software itself will be the same the world over bar language differences

I've certainly never felt I needed to get an alternative at any point

I also like the fact that the guidance is in the HUD
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 09:08 AM   #3
ppendyck
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550

Thanks.
I am in the US.
I just got a M550 and like the navigation and like you appreciate the detailed info in the HUD.
I just used it to drive about 400 miles and did find a couple of unusual directions as it is a route that I drive frequently. I looked on my phone where I had waze running and their directions were different.
I am not sure what navigation BMW uses over here. Through experimentation I am sure I could find out or someone out there most probably knows.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 09:32 AM   #4
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

You can configure what route it takes, ie fastest or shortest or an eco pro route .
(That's on ID6 but presume ID7 is similar)

I rarely question the route and if it differs from what I am expecting, it's squally down to traffic which it is routing around

On IF6 there is a RTTI symbol and if this is white, there is no significant traffic disruption. Yellow will signify potential disruption and your route may be amended

Red indicates heavier traffic or something more significant. Don't see this that often in my experience
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 02:23 PM   #5
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
The BMW maps are pretty solid for me. I use it primarily and will occasionally turn on Waze for spotting speed traps.

The US map for BMW is done by Here (formerly Nokia). I assume that is consistent in most markets around the world as BMW has an ownership stake in Here. It is pretty accurate.

The navigation system will learn your routes as well and start to suggest those if you prefer to drive one way over another. So ignoring it when you “know a better route” has its value as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
You can configure what route it takes, ie fastest or shortest or an eco pro route .
(That's on ID6 but presume ID7 is similar)

I rarely question the route and if it differs from what I am expecting, it's squally down to traffic which it is routing around

On IF6 there is a RTTI symbol and if this is white, there is no significant traffic disruption. Yellow will signify potential disruption and your route may be amended

Red indicates heavier traffic or something more significant. Don't see this that often in my experience
You are very lucky on the red not showing up often for you!

Mine is red 90% of the time. Welcome to Philly where congestion is our way of life!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2021, 02:14 AM   #6
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 520i

Ah the joys of the M25 London circular. Red red red.

Maps in the UK are also Here maps. I find them indispensable. Easy to view and accurate especially the traffic reports. Wish more minor roads had traffic data on them though like Google maps
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2021, 07:11 PM   #7
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
(That's on ID6 but presume ID7 is similar)...
I made the mistake of using shortest vs. fastest route on a trip from Carson City to Bend, OR. The NAV took us on over 50 miles of Forest Service "roads!" 'Twas an adventure.
Appreciate 0