BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions BMW diesel additive (FOR diesel engine)?

05-04-2017, 03:52 AM   #1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G30 520D

BMW diesel additive (FOR diesel engine)?

Dear all,

Do you used BMW diesel additive at your 520D or 530D? if yes how often you will put it into your fuel tank.

BMW technician told us they use this diesel additive often for customer complain of engine noise.....

any comment?

best regards,

Stanley
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 04:04 AM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10511555 View Post
Dear all,

Do you used BMW diesel additive at your 520D or 530D? if yes how often you will put it into your fuel tank.

BMW technician told us they use this diesel additive often for customer complain of engine noise.....

any comment?

best regards,

Stanley
What is your fuel quality like?

Over here in the UK many diesel drivers use a premium diesel, for the benefits of the 'additive package'. Helps keep the engine cleaner, both the injection components and helps reduce carbon deposits. Used regularly you shouldn't really need separate additives.

BMW's own additive is obviously approved to use in current diesels. There are other products to choose from over here, some added every tank, others designed more for every few months, or every few thousand miles.

Personal experience, the premium fuels can help engine noise, my own diesel running quieter on premium fuel.

My 535i, injectors developed a bit of a tick. Used BMW's petrol additive in a tank of fuel, quietened the injectors. Still quiet several thousand miles later.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 08:58 AM   #3
Enlisted Member
Rep

Dear HighlandPete,

We got Esso, Caltex & shell provide a diesel fuel in state; but we don't have premium diesel, however whats other brand of product add to tank have same result, can you introduce?

best regards,

Stanley
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 07:20 AM   #4
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10511555 View Post
We got Esso, Caltex & shell provide a diesel fuel in state; but we don't have premium diesel, however whats other brand of product add to tank have same result, can you introduce?
Not knowing what products you may have available, I can only speak for the UK market.

Many will use a product such as 'Millers' (Millers Diesel Power Ecomax) from Millers Oils. Other products like Countdown, Forte are commonly used. Product is available from the injection equipment manufacturers, like Delphi, Stanadyne and many others.

I've used 'Millers' as an alternative to the premium diesel fuel. Very similar differences above basic diesel in use, quieter running, improved mpg, more urgent under load, sweeter mid range. Less DPF regeneration.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 07:57 PM   #5
Shakespere
Private First Class
Finland
Rep
Drives: Bmw G30 530D xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Not knowing what products you may have available, I can only speak for the UK market.

Many will use a product such as 'Millers' (Millers Diesel Power Ecomax) from Millers Oils. Other products like Countdown, Forte are commonly used. Product is available from the injection equipment manufacturers, like Delphi, Stanadyne and many others.

I've used 'Millers' as an alternative to the premium diesel fuel. Very similar differences above basic diesel in use, quieter running, improved mpg, more urgent under load, sweeter mid range. Less DPF regeneration.
But I says strictly diesel with no additives on the refueling lid of my car?????
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2017, 04:18 AM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakespere View Post
But I says strictly diesel with no additives on the refueling lid of my car?????
Good point to raise.

It is the reason many users will simply fill with premium fuel to get the benefit of more additives. For example, Esso state their premium fuels (in the UK) have double the additives of the standard fuel. I used premium while my 330d was under the manufacturer's warranty for that very reason.

BMW have their own approved diesel additive, (Part No. 83 19 2 296 922). I assume that is the one the OP has been referred to. If so, then BMW have tested for compatibility. I've used the BMW approved petrol additive (Part No. 83 19 2 183 738) in my N55 engine, the only one I would use, other than premium fuel, due to the HPFP, etc.

I used the Millers diesel product in my 330d, as it has earned a good reputation over the years and is formulated for engines with a DPF.

I suppose it could be quite a discussion on whether the additive package supplied in fuel is any different than adding a shot of additive from a reputable manufacturer. Obviously we would have to consider what additive we use, also understand the risks. Any doubt, don't add anything to fuel other than BMW product.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2017, 08:32 AM   #7
Enlisted Member
Rep

Dear all,

Diesel addict might be a alternative; but what about "Adblue" ? can it be used any market product for refill?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2017, 01:22 PM   #8
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
Just got a Costco fuel place opened in Newcastle - they say the diesel is 'premium diesel' - I suspect it's a marketing thing coz it is at the price of the non-premium petrol.
Appreciate 0