BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Head Up Display - Odd behavior

06-27-2019, 06:39 PM   #1
///M-er-gized
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i

This evening, while driving home from work, I noticed Head Up Display was not working.

I didn't realize how much I love Head Up Display until it was gone.

At a traffic light, I checked the configuration settings. It was on, brightness was set to about 65%, and it was set to standard mode. I kept toggling it on and off, but that didn't fix it.

There was one other unusual event. When I started my car, the sound system was off. I had to turn it back on. That was bizarre. Now believe me when I say that I'm 100% certain I never shut it off to begin with. 100% absolutely certain.

So that's 2 unusual events.

When I came home, I just figured I'll call tomorrow morning and schedule an appointment for service.

However, later this evening, I had to run a quick errand. Great news. Head Up Display is working and there were no events re: sound system either.

So I guess there is a happy ending here.

Did any of you ever experience anything like this?
      06-27-2019, 07:51 PM   #2
CyberJudas
Rep
Drives: G30

...Haven’t had such things happen (yet) in my G30 (thankfully) but my F10 would suffer from very rare system gremlins (too few to quantify as a percentage) where my Digital gauge (6WB) would screen glitch and have an artefact or radio would reset mid drive. Freaked me out the first time I saw it - not so much the second/third time it happened during my 5yrs of ownership.

Thankfully, for me, just a blue-moon occurrence that didn’t need any intervention - just for the vehicle to power down and sit for a while. On subsequent start-up, everything went back to normal again.

Good luck with your situation - but I wouldn’t worry too much.
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2019, 08:03 AM   #3
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

not for me either. But little gremlins do seem to appear randomly just like in personal PCs. But the fix is usually the same. Shut it down, Wait about a minute, turn it back on.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 12:22 PM   #4
BimmerGeneral14
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M550ix

A couple thoughts:
1. My HUD disappeared one day......right after I picked up my new, polarized, sunglasses......no worky.
2. The more computers in the car, the more often power cycling fixes the problem. In airplanes, often there are individual system switches to do it while in flight. But most car systems are on the one, ignition, switch. So, cycle that.........uh, pull over first.
My 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 12:28 PM   #5
///M-er-gized
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerGeneral14 View Post
A couple thoughts:
1. My HUD disappeared one day......right after I picked up my new, polarized, sunglasses......no worky.
2. The more computers in the car, the more often power cycling fixes the problem. In airplanes, often there are individual system switches to do it while in flight. But most car systems are on the one, ignition, switch. So, cycle that.........uh, pull over first.
My 2 cents.
I have polarized sunglasses too, but that wasn't the issue.
1) I could still see HUD when I'm wearing them (albeit not that great), and
2) I wasn't wearing my sunglasses at the time.

Last edited by ///M-er-gized; 06-28-2019 at 01:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 01:01 PM   #6
Bob in IL
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 G01 X3, 2019 G30 5 Series

Maybe a bit off topic, but I bought a (cheap) pair of non-polarized sunglasses from Shady Rays which allows me to see the HUD nice and clear. They don't do much for glare but do help on a sunny day.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 05:03 PM   #7
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

I, too, have had strange events, although not to this degree. Mine consist of the on board computer, which I always leave on the mileage settings, changing to eco displays, etc. I also started up one day and my stereo was on a pop Sirius station which I have never listened to (and hopefully never will again!). Go figure?
Appreciate 1
      07-05-2019, 04:38 PM   #8
jjscsix
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540, 2016 GX460

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
not for me either. But little gremlins do seem to appear randomly just like in personal PCs. But the fix is usually the same. Shut it down, Wait about a minute, turn it back on.
Open and close your windows just for good measure