BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion i4 vs Model 3

12-31-2021, 08:01 AM   #1
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

i4 vs Model 3

Better build quality, driving dynamics and competitive pricing vs Tesla's charging network. At least in the US East Coast, and use cases where people are using Tesla M3, the i4 will have a good enough charging network. Both Apple and Google Maps now include EV charging in their navigation.

https://insideevs.com/news/557180/bm...l3-comparison/

Looks like with the i4 and iX BMW finally gets EV right. IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 09:12 AM   #2
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
Better build quality, driving dynamics and competitive pricing vs Tesla's charging network. At least in the US East Coast, and use cases where people are using Tesla M3, the i4 will have a good enough charging network. Both Apple and Google Maps now include EV charging in their navigation.

You say that... as if these weren't the FIRST bmw EV's lol
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 10:56 AM   #3
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by micvite View Post
Quote:

You say that... as if these weren't the FIRST bmw EV's lol
The i3 and iX3?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 09:59 PM   #4
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The i3 and iX3?
pretty sure ix3 isn't even for sale yet... and the i3... is basically a hybrid with the option to remove the engine lol plus does anyone really consider the i3 to even be a car? ))
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 10:44 PM   #5
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Wish I could say i4 without a doubt, however it's a very heavy car compared to the Model 3. Really not sure how "fun to drive" it would be.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2022, 01:38 PM   #6
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by micvite View Post
Quote:
The i3 and iX3?
pretty sure ix3 isn't even for sale yet... and the i3... is basically a hybrid with the option to remove the engine lol plus does anyone really consider the i3 to even be a car? ))
I have seen several videos and reviews on the i3 and iX3. Even sat in an i3. From what I know, the ICE range extender on the i3 was an option.

Anyway, the i3 was quirky and more of a Prius competitor and the iX3, never made it to the US but is RWD and the range is lacking compared to other EVs. It is sold in the EU for sure…

The i4 and iX seem legit top tier competitors IMHO. I'd take them over their respective Tesla competitors.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2022, 03:36 PM   #7
Merami fan
めらみぽっぷ fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive

The i4 is obviously a better car by typical car metrics, but I'd wait for improvements to charging infrastructure and for BMW to roll out its dedicated EV platform (2025). Personally, I'd wait and see where the styling goes for next generation as well. (:
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1w...1L3y6cmPEyGSoI
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2022, 04:25 PM   #8
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I have seen several videos and reviews on the i3 and iX3. Even sat in an i3. From what I know, the ICE range extender on the i3 was an option.

Anyway, the i3 was quirky and more of a Prius competitor and the iX3, never made it to the US but is RWD and the range is lacking compared to other EVs. It is sold in the EU for sure…

The i4 and iX seem legit top tier competitors IMHO. I'd take them over their respective Tesla competitors.
Lol yeah the ice was the "option" but it's the same difference lol. But yeah I don't consider a prius a car either it's a death trap that does 0-60 eventually and well I have many strong opinions on those things I will not get into.

I google the ix3 couldn't find anything relevant which is why I asked.

The i4 and the ix are trying to compete more in the luxury department like if you look at the eqs it has more or less the same weight and comparable specs. I have an order in for an i4 depending on what the individual options run me, I might back out of it and look into a used full self driving model s since I don't really like hatchback and the model s would be faster and more technologically advanced, then get rid of it when the i5 comes out or something.
Appreciate 0