BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum I want to import my X7 from the US to Switzerland

12-08-2019, 12:36 PM   #1
Brukes
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328ix / 2020 X7 40i

I want to import my X7 from the US to Switzerland

Hello - looking to the forum for any advice.

It is looking likely that I will need to relocate to Switzerland from New York for work for several years (if not longer). We have a new 2020 X7 40i M Sport (owned not leased); we would like to keep the car it possible if we do end up relocating to Europe.

From what I've read online, importing to Switzerland is possible, and I will be able to skip the import duties due to a relocation (and having owned the car for 6months by the time we get there). It seems the registration process should be possible, especially since the 40i is sold in Switzerland. What I don't quite know or understand, however, is what kind of retrofitting is needed to make a US spec car registrable in Switzerland. Does the retrofitting cause any problems if we ever come back with the car? Is my US warranty not valid in Europe?

All the expense will be handled by the Company, but I would be curious if anyone has any advice as far as what I need to ask them for and / or if I should just request that they cover the difference between what I can get as far sale price and the cost to purchase a similar X7 in Switzerland.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 12:56 PM   #2
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Driving a huge SUV on Swiss roads will be much more of a challenge than driving it in the USA.
Appreciate 2
      12-08-2019, 01:27 PM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

don’t think the U.S. warranty is valid in Europe. The warranties are backed by for instance BMW N. America Incorporated not bmw Germany.

As for regs, u need to contact the Swiss. It’s things like side marker lights and lens colors, warning signals and sounds and the Swiss vehicles normally have VERY stringent noise regs and often exhaust systems are Swiss only.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 01:40 PM   #4
John H.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i XDrive

It would be best to acquire a vehicle there.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 06:45 PM   #5
kanovic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 evo

My father in-law imported a e60 when it was new to Germany when they moved and he had to get it up to their spec. Had to change taillights since our blinkers were red and theirs had to be orange. He had aftermarket wheels and had to be factory with their approved tires. Ended up being the biggest waste of money, but if you want it bad enough it’s possible.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 10:36 PM   #6
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
I wouldn't bother, it's going to be a big hassle, especially if your company will cover
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 07:41 AM   #7
BSquared+
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i

Best to re-think that idea and just get the company to pay for a more suitable car for the duration. Get a new ride when returning to the USA. Gas cost, driving ease, parking spaces , etc. will be a challenge with that big boat on European roads.

Sell that X7 before you sail.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      12-09-2019, 11:49 PM   #8
bono
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5d

If the company provides a car in CH, I would leave X7 in the US. If you need to take care of the car in CH, I would take X7 with you. X7 will easily cost double what it costs in the US.

Not sure about Switzerland, but when you take the car from the US to the EU, you should be covered by the European BMW warranty, i.e. two years, unlimited mileage. Just contact BMW AG about this.

In relation to the retrofitting - this is not an issue. There are companies doing this. Not sure about Switzerland, but definitely there are some in Germany.

If you decide to sell X7, please ping me before
Appreciate 0