BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Carplay issues with sound cutting out

09-25-2018, 12:59 PM   #1
richiemail
Private
Rep
Drives: X4 M40d (G02) LCI

Carplay issues with sound cutting out

Not sure if anyone else has had this issue, googling hasn't turned anything useful up.

If I use Carplay with my iPhone 8 (always Spotify) music starts fairly promptly after ignition (20-30 seconds), but I get really bad audio drops most of the time, sound drops for 2-5 seconds but the elapsed track time on the carplay screen keeps moving. I did think this was Spotify streaming at first, but even downloaded music has this issue. The problem seems to be between the head unit and the phone.

As a result I switched back to the iDrive/Apps approach of phone integration. However, using this approach Spotify can take well over a minute to pickup (never get audio drops once it's going I should add), and probably 2/5 times it doesn't connect at all. If I try to select it in the media menu I get a spinning wheel indicator next to Spotify indefinitely (until I go back to CarPlay. Where I stay until a bad period of audio drop outs, when I go back to iDrive).

Round and round it goes. My iPhone is an 8, so not old. Car was registered in Jan 2018. Just trying to understand if the wireless audio performance is bad for a lot of people, or my experience is particularly bad, and warranting a dealer visit.

Thanks for your input!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 01:35 PM   #2
Theophilus
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW i5 M60

Given the fact that CarPlay is wireless, I would begin looking at the network settings of your iPhone 8. If everything looks okay, perhaps using the Reset Network option will clear things up (it will also clear any saved Wifi passwords.) Finally, maybe unpairing and repairing CarPlay with your phone might clear the problem.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 03:56 PM   #3
richiemail
Private
Rep

Thanks Theo,

I had the same thought, and I've been through those steps without improvement. I'm wondering if I have a damaged or shifted WiFi antenna if my case seems isolated...
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 12:30 AM   #4
BHK
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 bluestone M550i

I’ve been using Spotify thorough CarPlay for the past year in my G30 with no dropouts. Hope it doesn’t start now!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 02:37 PM   #5
Ebanksd
Rep
Drives: Audi A4

Hi Richiemail,

Did you ever get this sorted?

I picked up a G30 a couple of weeks ago and am loving it so far! Decided to go for the 530d, lots of mileage....

However I'm also having issues with CarPlay stuttering occasionally switching between different menus but most annoyingly the audio cutting out for a couple of a seconds at a time. The music track or podcast (downloaded to iPhone) continues to play on the iPhone but then cuts back in having moved along a couple of seconds.

It's as though the WiFi cannot handle the bandwidth. In my last car - an Audi A4 it worked fine using a cable connection with no lag, stuttering or cutting out ever.

It happens when on the sliding tray in the centre console, in the armrest or in my pocket. It does seem to happen a little more when charging but the device is not hot to the touch so I'm a bit at a loss to what's happening.

Otherwise the interface is better implemented than on the Audi with more shortcuts direct to the phone menu, hanging up with the phone icon on the wheel actually works and you can also cut to now playing, all via they numbered shortcuts. Even dialling programmed phone numbers work using the shortcut buttons!

Thanks in advance for any help!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 02:27 PM   #6
richiemail
Private
Rep

I did resolve this, in a roundabout way. All the issues I saw were with the iPhone 8 I had when I got the car. I switched to an iPhone XS in December, and the issue never reoccurred. Suggests the issue related to the phone rather than the car in my case at least.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 01:46 PM   #7
Ebanksd
Rep

Thanks Richiemail, I reset the iPhone yesterday and on the next 30 minute journey it had no cutting out at all. Will check again tomorrow but fingers crossed it's resolved.
The soft reset process is different than in previous iphones. You now have to press volume up the volume down, then hold the power button for 10 seconds til it reboots...
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 02:34 PM   #8
kopkings19
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 420d

Hi guys - I’m having this same issue in my 420d. It’s driving me nuts. Did anyone find a better solution than replacing the phone?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 04:31 PM   #9
CLABRO
THUNDER UP!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Sport G30

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kopkings19 View Post
Hi guys - I’m having this same issue in my 420d. It’s driving me nuts. Did anyone find a better solution than replacing the phone?
Make sure your media software in your car is up to date.

Put in your vin and it will tell you if there's an update available. If so, I'd suggest updating as it won't hurt and it possibly may even fix the issue. It's a lot cheaper than getting a new phone

https://www.bmw.com/en/footer/software-updates.html

G30 l Alpine White l M Sport Package l Executive Tier l Icon Adaptive Full LED Headlights l Mocha Nappa Leather l Multi-Contour Seats l Drivers Assistance Package l Drivers Assistance Plus Package l Dynamic Handling Package l Parking Assistance Package l Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System l M Sport Brakes l Apple Carplay
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 02:32 PM   #10
Damo Engelbrecht
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e 2017 G30

CarPlay Audio out of Sync

Hi there, I wonder if anyone can assist or point me to the correct forum?

I am having audio latency issues when playing YouTube videos or any videos for that matter through CarPlay. Video plays on iPhone and audio through CarPlay however it is out of sync by a good few seconds. I think it has to do with the fact that the CarPlay connects wirelessly?

Can I change from wireless CarPlay to the lighting cable through USB as this might resolve the lag. Or is there a app or tweak anyone is aware of that can adjust the frame rate in YouTube or adjust the audio timing?

Have anyone heard of this before? If so, any suggestions?

Thanks Damo
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 05:32 PM   #11
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damo Engelbrecht View Post
Hi there, I wonder if anyone can assist or point me to the correct forum?

I am having audio latency issues when playing YouTube videos or any videos for that matter through CarPlay. Video plays on iPhone and audio through CarPlay however it is out of sync by a good few seconds. I think it has to do with the fact that the CarPlay connects wirelessly?

Can I change from wireless CarPlay to the lighting cable through USB as this might resolve the lag. Or is there a app or tweak anyone is aware of that can adjust the frame rate in YouTube or adjust the audio timing?

Have anyone heard of this before? If so, any suggestions?

Thanks Damo
You can't connect to CarPlay via the lightning cable as it's implemented wirelessly.
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2020, 12:15 PM   #12
Ebanksd
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebanksd View Post
Thanks Richiemail, I reset the iPhone yesterday and on the next 30 minute journey it had no cutting out at all. Will check again tomorrow but fingers crossed it's resolved.
The soft reset process is different than in previous iphones. You now have to press volume up the volume down, then hold the power button for 10 seconds til it reboots...
Confirmed - the stuttering has now been fixed after moving from an iPhone 8 Plus to an 11 pro max. Either it’s a fault with some or all iPhone 8’s when using CarPlay wirelessly. No issues when cabled to my old Audi
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 11:26 PM   #13
Aalfie88
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e, 2011 X5 35d

Have a iPhone XS and an iPhone 11pro max. Doesn’t happen often, but i do run into issues on both phones where it doesn’t connect automatically. Once every so often, I have run into streaming issues on both of those phones for Apple Music and Spotify. The way it was resolved on these phone was to reboot the phone. Couldn’t pin point if it was a phone issue or car, but I see it just as often on an XS and a Pro max.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 03:59 AM   #14
beanbaguk
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 520d M-Sport

I have this issue on mine too, and the solution is a hard reset of the iPhone. Not a standard shutdown.

It fixes the problem instantly, but it has come back again every once in a while which is frustrating.
      01-31-2020, 01:22 PM   #15
EricOV
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Rhodonite Silver G30

Noticed a stuttering Spotify via Carplay too, first thought my watch interfered, noticed it's not stuttering when the phone is unlocked, so next try is enabling all Carplay apps with Background Refresh, until now no stuttering, let's wait and see if it stays away.

Apologies,
Eric

- This parts turns out to be untrue -
only when I wear my non-Apple smartwatch. Once I disconnect that watch from the 11 Pro, the stuttering is gone. Maybe the phone interferes via the media controls on the watch. Haven't been able to solve it other then not wearing that watch.
- end of text -
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 01:50 AM   #16
antah
Private First Class
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: G31 530xD

I use iPhone XR and has the same issue. The only way I found to fix it is to place the phone into the door pocket where BMW Wifi antenna is. It always helps, but... you can't charge it that way. I was evening thinking of adding USB port into the door trim... looks like getting new iPhone later this year would be a better fix
      08-24-2020, 12:11 PM   #17
d0n3y
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i XDrive

I was having the same cutouts from my iPhone X it was driving me insane. Apple said it could be interference with VoLTE (Voice over LTE).
So I turned it off and BOOM. It hasn't happened since. Solid connection all the time now. [IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 03:22 PM   #18
choppedliver
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550ix Pure

I have the same issue in my 2020 M550i. Both iPhone 8 and both mine and wife’s. Will try the reset method and turn off Volte and see if that works.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 02:43 AM   #19
hopz
Rep
Drives: '18 530i xdrive; '15 218i

I have a similar issue but my screen starts to lag as well. When the phone is left near the cupholders there is no problem, however when I pick it up and leave it on the passenger seat, carplay disconnects.

Is it possible that the car has such weak connection or it is another thing causing this, because when I play music through Bluetooth only there is no need to leave the phone down near the cupholders?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 01:34 PM   #20
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopz View Post
I have a similar issue but my screen starts to lag as well. When the phone is left near the cupholders there is no problem, however when I pick it up and leave it on the passenger seat, carplay disconnects.

Is it possible that the car has such weak connection or it is another thing causing this, because when I play music through Bluetooth only there is no need to leave the phone down near the cupholders?
Did you purchase the car new? Was CarPlay active on the sticker?

I from my understanding was that BMW would only add the additional WiFi antenna on cars that opted for CarPlay early on. If you purchased it used or had CarPlay coded on without adding that antenna you’d have an experience similar to what you have where the signal range seems really small.

I only say used as the previous owner could have had it coded on without the extra work on the antenna.

https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1832273
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 01:55 PM   #21
blewcheese
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 540i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
Did you purchase the car new? Was CarPlay active on the sticker?

I from my understanding was that BMW would only add the additional WiFi antenna on cars that opted for CarPlay early on. If you purchased it used or had CarPlay coded on without adding that antenna you’d have an experience similar to what you have where the signal range seems really small.

I only say used as the previous owner could have had it coded on without the extra work on the antenna.

https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1832273
That's not true, I had my carplay and antenna from the factory and I have this issue on my iPhone X.
      10-14-2021, 02:48 PM   #22
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blewcheese View Post
That's not true, I had my carplay and antenna from the factory and I have this issue on my iPhone X.
What part isn’t true? It is very true that cars without CarPlay on the sticker as either present or “preparation” for it lack the antenna… Search for forum for details. My MY2020 car had it as CarPlay is standard on the car…

I didn’t suggest that it was the only cause of this issue. It could be caused by interference, but the post I responded to specifically cited working in the cup holder and not on the passenger seat which aligns with a missing or faulty antenna…

Are you having the same issue where it works in your cup holder, but not in your passenger seat? Have you had BMW replace the antenna or have you diagnosed the issue with another iOS device or updating to the latest version?
Appreciate 0