BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos 2020-202x Corvette Stingray

08-05-2019, 03:25 PM   #573
duder13
Captain
Rep
Drives: Cashmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
Agreed, the rear look is the Achilles heel for me also, way too damn busy. I can get past that though for everything else the car should offer. From all the other angles it’s a winner. IMO
Yeah, I'm not in the market for it, since there is no manual, but everything outside of the rear end seems outstanding.

Optioning out the spoiler altogether helps a little, I think.
Appreciate 2
N54Yankee2706.00
Rmtt8206.00
      08-05-2019, 03:29 PM   #574
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRace View Post
If you had indeed driven a C7 but still preferred the NSX, then I don't think you will change your mind about the C8. Fundamentally they are more or less the same mechanically abeit with the engine in the middle. The handling characteristic may be different with the new weight distribution but the mechanical feel won't be too different.
What? It is practically a completely different car. They moved the engine to the rear(mid), ditched the leaf springs for all coilovers, also ditched the awful slushbox for a dual clutch transmission. That is about as mechanically different as your will get from one generation to the next of any car.

Read an article the other day, only one single part is carried over from the C7.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 03:39 PM   #575
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

08-05-2019, 03:40 PM   #576
WestRace
Major
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
What? It is practically a completely different car. They moved the engine to the rear(mid), ditched the leaf springs for all coilovers, also ditched the awful slushbox for a dual clutch transmission. That is about as mechanically different as your will get from one generation to the next of any car.

Read an article the other day, only one single part is carried over from the C7.
The mid engine weight distribution will give it a different handling characteristic, but mechanically, it's basically the same car.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 03:48 PM   #577
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
One word: EV1. GM had tried production EV tech before. It failed. Besides: The Volt was a plug-in hybrid. Those existed in the marketplace before 2011. But I'll grant that it made the middle-tier plug-in EV niche viable.
The 914 was the first mass-market RMR mid-engine car. All others followed it: the Fiat X1-9, the Fiero, the MR2, and so on.

Yawn. That's like saying the K Car was Chrysler's first serious attempt at a compact car. Please. All Cadillac did was re-target its competition with a new lineup and a re-designed chassis. Toyota does that every 6-8 years.

Considering the Fiero lasted 1.5 generations and the Zx has now lasted four -- and its primary competition from Mercedes and Porsche has continuously been built for 22 years straight now -- I'd say not.
Really, you went with the EV1. Hardly anywhere near the same architecture and technology as the Bolt. The EV1 was not a mass-produced market car and was built for the California CARB market. And there is 20 years separating the vehicles.

The Volt is not a plug-in hybrid. You are thinking of a Prius. The Gen 1Volt was an extended-range EV. Gen 2 had a slightly parallel hybrid design (for speeds above 70 MPH), but still is classified as an extended range EV. When the Z4 gets to 370,000 sales, call us back. And when the Z4 architecture launches an entirely new car company and several different models, then we'll know it's importance to automotive history; maybe Toyota will branch off a new Luxury car line... oh, wait. In 1986 BMW copied the Fiero's architecture for the most part, except the surfboard floor panel. I think BMW sold 10,000 Z1 IIRC. It mostly borrowed parts from the E30.

It can be argued that Cadillac actually got BMW off its ass to build a sports sedan again, since the ATS embarrassed it in most every driving dynamics rating.
Appreciate 1
See5449.00
      08-05-2019, 03:57 PM   #578
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
It can be argued that Cadillac actually got BMW off its ass to build a sports sedan again, since the ATS embarrassed it in most every driving dynamics rating.
Alpha chassis is world class.
Appreciate 1
See5449.00
      08-05-2019, 03:59 PM   #579
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post

+1

Quote:
The mid engine weight distribution will give it a different handling characteristic, but mechanically, it's basically the same car.
You crazy.
Appreciate 4
N54Yankee2706.00
Red Bread4462.00
3798j11167.00
      08-05-2019, 03:59 PM   #580
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
yup, caddy really took the traditional BMW approach, but yet it doesn't sell..., so I guess form market stand point of view BMW did the "right thing"...
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 04:29 PM   #581
See5
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Quote:
Why do you say things like this?

Mechanically, the only thing it shares, is *looks at spec sheet* nothing. Not the frame, powertrain, suspension, body, etc.

If you were talking about the C5 and C6, you'd be somewhat accurate. That's not the case here.
Appreciate 4
Red Bread4462.00
SoCal_NSX2363.00
3798j11167.00
      08-05-2019, 04:52 PM   #582
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
yup, caddy really took the traditional BMW approach, but yet it doesn't sell..., so I guess form market stand point of view BMW did the "right thing"...
Well looking at the recent sales of the benchmark 3-series... maybe not.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 05:08 PM   #583
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Really, you went with the EV1. Hardly anywhere near the same architecture and technology as the Bolt. The EV1 was not a mass-produced market car and was built for the California CARB market. And there is 20 years separating the vehicles ... The Volt is not a plug-in hybrid. You are thinking of a Prius. The Gen 1Volt was an extended-range EV. Gen 2 had a slightly parallel hybrid design (for speeds above 70 MPH), but still is classified as an extended range EV.
Like I said: I granted that the Volt created a viable niche. But its type of dual-stage approach had been done before. Oh ... and I know my hybrids. Don't be condescending. I know WTF the difference is between a Prius and a Volt. One had to plug in the Volt. One doesn't have to plug in a Prius. That's kind of the definition of a plug-in ANYthing, isn't it?

Quote:
When the Z4 gets to 370,000 sales, call us back. And when the Z4 architecture launches an entirely new car company and several different models, then we'll know it's importance to automotive history; maybe Toyota will branch off a new Luxury car line... oh, wait. In 1986 BMW copied the Fiero's architecture for the most part, except the surfboard floor panel. I think BMW sold 10,000 Z1 IIRC. It mostly borrowed parts from the E30.
Please look up the meaning of the word 'fad' and get back to me. Total sales have little to do with being a fad. Longevity does. By your definition, Cabbage Patch Kids are one of the greatest stuffed toys in the history of mankind.

Quote:
No it can't. Please stop trying to make that argument. The Caddys didn't cause anyone to do anything they weren't already doing.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 05:26 PM   #584
WestRace
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by See5 View Post

Mechanically, the only thing it shares, is *looks at spec sheet* nothing. Not the frame, powertrain, suspension, body, etc.

If you were talking about the C5 and C6, you'd be somewhat accurate. That's not the case here.
I respect your opinion but I have a suspicion that the C8 may not feel to much different from the C7 from a mechanical point of view. I really don't think the drivetrain will be that much different. Anyway, that's my opinion but hopefully we will see when the C8 available for test drive.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 05:27 PM   #585
WestRace
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrotm View Post
+1

You crazy.
Sure, I'll argue with that lols.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 05:28 PM   #586
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by See5 View Post

I respect your opinion but I have a suspicion that the C8 may not feel to much different from the C7 from a mechanical point of view. I really don't think the drivetrain will be that much different. Anyway, that's my opinion but hopefully we will see when the C8 available for test drive.
A Tahoe has about the same drivetrain as a Corvette. Do they drive alike?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 05:52 PM   #587
WestRace
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
A Tahoe has about the same drivetrain as a Corvette. Do they drive alike?
Well there's no point to argue. I guess we just have to wait until actually driving the car. What I said was my own opinions.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 10:41 PM   #588
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

I mean, he's right, it has an engine, brakes, transmission, so basically, it's the same. It's also the same as porsche, ferrari, rolls royce, etc.
      08-05-2019, 11:35 PM   #589
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep
Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
Agreed, the rear look is the Achilles heel for me also, way too damn busy. I can get past that though for everything else the car should offer. From all the other angles it’s a winner. IMO
I think it looks better in person, but even in pictures it still looks good.

There is no fake vents, it is all form and function .... kinda liked the old quad exhaust of the C7, but can see why the split them up for better down force defuser

This is a bare bone base model and it looks pretty damn good imo
Appreciate 4
sgt396619.00
N54Yankee2706.00
Rmtt8206.00
      08-06-2019, 12:51 AM   #590
GerryM5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

True. Great Auto Industrial Design done by the team at GM. I’m expecting the engineering will be just as good. Corvettes are not my thing at all but we got to recognize an excellent first release.
E39 M5 Dinan S2
E34 M5 Dinan S1
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2019, 02:05 AM   #591
irontitan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Ford F-150, BMWX5

That looks really stunning.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 05:32 AM   #592
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Like I said: I granted that the Volt created a viable niche. But its type of dual-stage approach had been done before. Oh ... and I know my hybrids. Don't be condescending. I know WTF the difference is between a Prius and a Volt. One had to plug in the Volt. One doesn't have to plug in a Prius. That's kind of the definition of a plug-in ANYthing, isn't it?

Please look up the meaning of the word 'fad' and get back to me. Total sales have little to do with being a fad. Longevity does. By your definition, Cabbage Patch Kids are one of the greatest stuffed toys in the history of mankind.

No it can't. Please stop trying to make that argument. The Caddys didn't cause anyone to do anything they weren't already doing.
Well, apparently you don't understand the difference between between hybrid designs. The Volt never needs to be plugged in and can run on gasoline as an electric car if the owner chooses to operate it that way. The Prius hybrid design (based on TRW's original hybrid tech from the early 1970s) does not operate the same as the Volt.

I'll let the thread get back to the Corvette.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 08-06-2019 at 05:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 06:41 AM   #593
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post

There is no fake vents, it is all form and function .... kinda liked the old quad exhaust of the C7, but can see why the split them up for better down force defuser

I’m sure you’re right and it will grow on me over some time. I’m sometimes a bit hesitant to like some design features right from the get go, takes a little time for me to accept it and like the more or less square ass of the C6 this is shockingly fresh to me. Think this C8 rear looks better in white, see I’m coming around already.
Pretty sure I saw you over on the Corvette Forum, welcome aboard. Hope you join the ranks of owners.
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
SoCal_NSX2363.00
      08-06-2019, 09:07 AM   #594
duder13
Captain
Rep
Drives: Cashmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post

Yeah, as I said, it looks a little better without the spoiler, but it’s still a mess and screams “cheap GM,” unfortunately, even compared to the C6 and C7. The rest of the car’s angles look pretty good, though, and the interior seems a massive improvement.
Appreciate 0