BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications Dinan tune ordered for my M550!

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-06-2019, 04:48 PM   #1
AddyDaddy
Captain
AddyDaddy's Avatar
United_States
274
Rep
910
Posts

Drives: M5's, 535.335, M550i
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Here

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Just ordered the elite V2 for my car. Will be installed by approved Dinan installer Tuesday afternoon or Wednesday morning at 9am. I'll give a very honest review to the board. I came from F10 M5 with some bolt ons and in hopes this will bring back some of the violent 40 roll accelerations and overall brute power. I've just past 1600 miles and it's been a month and a week since I left the M5 for this one, so I still remember what I've been missing. I will say this car stock can't be beat off the line. Anyway enough blabbin, will keep posted of some real world results and not the exaggerated 605hp or 595hp Dinan is reporting. I would dyno it, but my dyno guy and everyone I found doesn't have 4wheel dyno's
__________________
2012 335 Retired ,
2013 535i M, Carbon black 20' 6 M wheels, totaled.
2018 750M ,
2013 M5 , Individual Silver, Bolt ons-Straight piped
2019 M550 686BK Black Chrome 20"wheels, Evolve Stage 1, Res delete
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 06:45 PM   #2
modthispny
First Lieutenant
107
Rep
314
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW M550i
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Studio City, CA

iTrader: (0)

thank! looking forward to it. I plan on getting the Elite V2 for my car as well.

DINAN just approved the replacement of an F80 M3 motor due to BMW blaming the tune for the failure, so I will give up a few mph in trap and .3 in the 1/4 knowing that in case anything happens, I am covered.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 11:02 AM   #3
AddyDaddy
Captain
AddyDaddy's Avatar
United_States
274
Rep
910
Posts

Drives: M5's, 535.335, M550i
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Here

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by modthispny View Post
thank! looking forward to it. I plan on getting the Elite V2 for my car as well.

DINAN just approved the replacement of an F80 M3 motor due to BMW blaming the tune for the failure, so I will give up a few mph in trap and .3 in the 1/4 knowing that in case anything happens, I am covered.
Yeah, you don't want to be stuck with $40-50k cash out of pocket, as bad as I want a real tune, I won't have fun with that replaying in the back of my head all the time.
__________________
2012 335 Retired ,
2013 535i M, Carbon black 20' 6 M wheels, totaled.
2018 750M ,
2013 M5 , Individual Silver, Bolt ons-Straight piped
2019 M550 686BK Black Chrome 20"wheels, Evolve Stage 1, Res delete
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 06:33 PM   #4
Bimmertrashjr
Private First Class
102
Rep
154
Posts

Drives: 2012 535i
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by modthispny View Post
thank! looking forward to it. I plan on getting the Elite V2 for my car as well.

DINAN just approved the replacement of an F80 M3 motor due to BMW blaming the tune for the failure, so I will give up a few mph in trap and .3 in the 1/4 knowing that in case anything happens, I am covered.
I have one brand new in box. PM me if you are interested.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 06:38 PM   #5
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
558
Rep
3,295
Posts

Drives: various BMW
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddyDaddy View Post
Just ordered the elite V2 for my car. Will be installed by approved Dinan installer Tuesday afternoon or Wednesday morning at 9am. I'll give a very honest review to the board. I came from F10 M5 with some bolt ons and in hopes this will bring back some of the violent 40 roll accelerations and overall brute power. I've just past 1600 miles and it's been a month and a week since I left the M5 for this one, so I still remember what I've been missing. I will say this car stock can't be beat off the line. Anyway enough blabbin, will keep posted of some real world results and not the exaggerated 605hp or 595hp Dinan is reporting. I would dyno it, but my dyno guy and everyone I found doesn't have 4wheel dyno's
Aren't there BMW warranty issues with Dinan tunes? Braman was a Dinan dealer but seems no more. Not too risky to rely on Dinan to provide help if BMW refuses coverage?
__________________
2017 540i | 2019 X3 | 2019 540i MSport
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 08:23 PM   #6
ksoze
Major
ksoze's Avatar
United_States
313
Rep
1,123
Posts

Drives: 2018 M550iX
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Aren't there BMW warranty issues with Dinan tunes? Braman was a Dinan dealer but seems no more. Not too risky to rely on Dinan to provide help if BMW refuses coverage?
If you concerned find a BMW dealer to install it. Hard to deny a product they installed and warrantied.
__________________
2018 M550iX-Dinan Stage 1 | 2011 E93 M3 Convertible | 2002 E46 M3 Convertible | 2002 E53 X5 3.0 | 2000 E39 540i | 1998 E36 M3 | 1988 E28 M5 | 1987 E28 528i
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 08:37 PM   #7
AddyDaddy
Captain
AddyDaddy's Avatar
United_States
274
Rep
910
Posts

Drives: M5's, 535.335, M550i
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Here

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
From what I understand is if Dinan causes the issue they pay for labor and parts, if it's not Dinan related normal warranty applies. In Florida you sign a paper where sealer cannot revoke warranty except on items damaged by after market parts, that's where Dinan steps in
Just the peace of mind is worth the premium. Someone sent a thread where I think an 4 series had engine failure and Dinan picked up the $40k tab
__________________
2012 335 Retired ,
2013 535i M, Carbon black 20' 6 M wheels, totaled.
2018 750M ,
2013 M5 , Individual Silver, Bolt ons-Straight piped
2019 M550 686BK Black Chrome 20"wheels, Evolve Stage 1, Res delete
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 09:26 PM   #8
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
558
Rep
3,295
Posts

Drives: various BMW
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoze View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Aren't there BMW warranty issues with Dinan tunes? Braman was a Dinan dealer but seems no more. Not too risky to rely on Dinan to provide help if BMW refuses coverage?
If you concerned find a BMW dealer to install it. Hard to deny a product they installed and warrantied.
I think you're missing the point. Rumor has it BMWNA asked dealers to discontinue installing Dinan. Not sure there's any dealers left. If there are, it's not many.
__________________
2017 540i | 2019 X3 | 2019 540i MSport
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 09:32 PM   #9
AddyDaddy
Captain
AddyDaddy's Avatar
United_States
274
Rep
910
Posts

Drives: M5's, 535.335, M550i
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Here

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoze View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Aren't there BMW warranty issues with Dinan tunes? Braman was a Dinan dealer but seems no more. Not too risky to rely on Dinan to provide help if BMW refuses coverage?
If you concerned find a BMW dealer to install it. Hard to deny a product they installed and warrantied.
I think you're missing the point. Rumor has it BMWNA asked dealers to discontinue installing Dinan. Not sure there's any dealers left. If there are, it's not many.
Yeah Braman stopped a couple yrs ago. BMW dealers just south of me actually sell Dinan tuned cars and are still certified installers. Vista bmw is one of them and are on dinans website as a "pro installer" or something to that effect because they stock cars with Dinan installed.

I'm covered by bmw warranty and if Dinan causes something they match the 4yr 50k new car warranty.

I am hoping for the best, know people with Dinan on their M5's and don't know anyone who's had issues. So fingers crossed
__________________
2012 335 Retired ,
2013 535i M, Carbon black 20' 6 M wheels, totaled.
2018 750M ,
2013 M5 , Individual Silver, Bolt ons-Straight piped
2019 M550 686BK Black Chrome 20"wheels, Evolve Stage 1, Res delete
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 09:33 PM   #10
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
558
Rep
3,295
Posts

Drives: various BMW
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddyDaddy View Post
From what I understand is if Dinan causes the issue they pay for labor and parts, if it's not Dinan related normal warranty applies. In Florida you sign a paper where sealer cannot revoke warranty except on items damaged by after market parts, that's where Dinan steps in
Just the peace of mind is worth the premium. Someone sent a thread where I think an 4 series had engine failure and Dinan picked up the $40k tab
It's not a Florida thing, it's Federal. The Magnuson Moss warranty act of 1975. But as you said, BMW is under no obligation to repair under warranty if the aftermarket alteration contributed to the failure. And it doesn't take a brain surgeon to know these intense tunes impact an engines life expectancy, increase likelihood of fault codes, etc... And to think Dinan is going to keep paying crazy repair bills is unrealistic and short sighted. They just can't sustain it long term.
__________________
2017 540i | 2019 X3 | 2019 540i MSport
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 09:35 PM   #11
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
558
Rep
3,295
Posts

Drives: various BMW
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddyDaddy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoze View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Aren't there BMW warranty issues with Dinan tunes? Braman was a Dinan dealer but seems no more. Not too risky to rely on Dinan to provide help if BMW refuses coverage?
If you concerned find a BMW dealer to install it. Hard to deny a product they installed and warrantied.
I think you're missing the point. Rumor has it BMWNA asked dealers to discontinue installing Dinan. Not sure there's any dealers left. If there are, it's not many.
Yeah Braman stopped a couple yrs ago. BMW dealers just south of me actually sell Dinan tuned cars and are still certified installers. Vista bmw is one of them and are on dinans website as a "pro installer" or something to that effect because they stock cars with Dinan installed.

I'm covered by bmw warranty and if Dinan causes something they match the 4yr 50k new car warranty.

I am hoping for the best, know people with Dinan on their M5's and don't know anyone who's had issues. So fingers crossed
I wish you only good luck. But these cars today are so complicated it's just a huge risk.

Let's see how long Vista stays with Dinan. Someone told me they stopped installing Dinan. I never checked because I wasn't in the market for it.
__________________
2017 540i | 2019 X3 | 2019 540i MSport
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 08:17 AM   #12
ksoze
Major
ksoze's Avatar
United_States
313
Rep
1,123
Posts

Drives: 2018 M550iX
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
I wish you only good luck. But these cars today are so complicated it's just a huge risk.

Let's see how long Vista stays with Dinan. Someone told me they stopped installing Dinan. I never checked because I wasn't in the market for it.
"someone told me", "rumor has it". If you are uncomfortable with it, don't do it. There are dealers who do installs and support it and sounds like you are not a candidate for mods. For many who have being dealing with Dinan for years, the rumors of their demise are legendary. For me, by dealer installed and supports it, support at Dinan has been great and the Stage 1 tune has been flawless.
__________________
2018 M550iX-Dinan Stage 1 | 2011 E93 M3 Convertible | 2002 E46 M3 Convertible | 2002 E53 X5 3.0 | 2000 E39 540i | 1998 E36 M3 | 1988 E28 M5 | 1987 E28 528i
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 10:42 AM   #13
AddyDaddy
Captain
AddyDaddy's Avatar
United_States
274
Rep
910
Posts

Drives: M5's, 535.335, M550i
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Here

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoze View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
I wish you only good luck. But these cars today are so complicated it's just a huge risk.

Let's see how long Vista stays with Dinan. Someone told me they stopped installing Dinan. I never checked because I wasn't in the market for it.
"someone told me", "rumor has it". If you are uncomfortable with it, don't do it. There are dealers who do installs and support it and sounds like you are not a candidate for mods. For many who have being dealing with Dinan for years, the rumors of their demise are legendary. For me, by dealer installed and supports it, support at Dinan has been great and the Stage 1 tune has been flawless.
I feel pretty confident. BMW covers anything and if Dinan breaks something there's a contract saying they will fix replace anything their unit may have done dammge to. Getting it installed at the installer Dinan recommended to me a certified installer. The tune is very mild to say the least as well.
I mean I would love a VR or DME or to active autorerks to dyno tune, but they are play at your own risk from what I see on their sites. Dinan is only one so far aside from carbaun (nothing out yet for my car) but Dinan is only one to promises with contract to stand behind any damage caused.
__________________
2012 335 Retired ,
2013 535i M, Carbon black 20' 6 M wheels, totaled.
2018 750M ,
2013 M5 , Individual Silver, Bolt ons-Straight piped
2019 M550 686BK Black Chrome 20"wheels, Evolve Stage 1, Res delete
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 12:14 AM   #14
AKSteve
Private
23
Rep
76
Posts

Drives: '19 750i xDrive Magellan Gray
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Alaska

iTrader: (0)

I've had the Elite V2 from Dinan in my 2019 750 for a while now and I'm very happy. The car just screams now. But I mentioned in another thread that the tune didn't work at all for me at first and the car actually felt slower. I had it installed at my local BMW dealership and I don't know if they were supposed to reset something after the install or what, but it felt like my turbos were totally offline after the install. I decided to put the bypass plug in and see what would happen and the car felt fine after that. Then I installed the Dinan tune module again and felt a big increase in power. Just something to keep in mind in case you are unhappy with the tune after you have it installed.

Oh, one more thing. The box my Dinan tune came in said it was for the N63TU and I was worried about putting it into a car with an N6TU2 engine, but it turned out they sent the right tune but in a box with the wrong label on it.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 08:04 AM   #15
AddyDaddy
Captain
AddyDaddy's Avatar
United_States
274
Rep
910
Posts

Drives: M5's, 535.335, M550i
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Here

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSteve View Post
I've had the Elite V2 from Dinan in my 2019 750 for a while now and I'm very happy. The car just screams now. But I mentioned in another thread that the tune didn't work at all for me at first and the car actually felt slower. I had it installed at my local BMW dealership and I don't know if they were supposed to reset something after the install or what, but it felt like my turbos were totally offline after the install. I decided to put the bypass plug in and see what would happen and the car felt fine after that. Then I installed the Dinan tune module again and felt a big increase in power. Just something to keep in mind in case you are unhappy with the tune after you have it installed.

Oh, one more thing. The box my Dinan tune came in said it was for the N63TU and I was worried about putting it into a car with an N6TU2 engine, but it turned out they sent the right tune but in a box with the wrong label on it.
Thanks
I'll keep that in mind,
Off it doesn't feel faster in the first 30min I'll bring it right back to dinans installer! Where does bypass plug sit? Inside car or engine bay?

Once fixed you felt a big noticeable difference in power??
__________________
2012 335 Retired ,
2013 535i M, Carbon black 20' 6 M wheels, totaled.
2018 750M ,
2013 M5 , Individual Silver, Bolt ons-Straight piped
2019 M550 686BK Black Chrome 20"wheels, Evolve Stage 1, Res delete
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 09:49 AM   #16
kring
Private
United_States
44
Rep
88
Posts

Drives: 17 340ix, 19 M550i incoming
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (0)

When I had my Dinan installed, I was told by Dinan that the unit needs to learn and adapt and map things like throttle response and driving habits... that it does take some time (hours) for the until to reach potential... I assume it starts conservative and is in some sort of learning mode.

When you are getting it installed, if you can ask them if that's still true (or see if I was BS'd)
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 10:14 AM   #17
AddyDaddy
Captain
AddyDaddy's Avatar
United_States
274
Rep
910
Posts

Drives: M5's, 535.335, M550i
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Here

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kring View Post
When I had my Dinan installed, I was told by Dinan that the unit needs to learn and adapt and map things like throttle response and driving habits... that it does take some time (hours) for the until to reach potential... I assume it starts conservative and is in some sort of learning mode.

When you are getting it installed, if you can ask them if that's still true (or see if I was BS'd)
Haha I will ask for you.

Fingers crossed everything is perfect
__________________
2012 335 Retired ,
2013 535i M, Carbon black 20' 6 M wheels, totaled.
2018 750M ,
2013 M5 , Individual Silver, Bolt ons-Straight piped
2019 M550 686BK Black Chrome 20"wheels, Evolve Stage 1, Res delete
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 06:09 PM   #18
AKSteve
Private
23
Rep
76
Posts

Drives: '19 750i xDrive Magellan Gray
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Alaska

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddyDaddy View Post
Thanks
I'll keep that in mind,
Off it doesn't feel faster in the first 30min I'll bring it right back to dinans installer! Where does bypass plug sit? Inside car or engine bay?

Once fixed you felt a big noticeable difference in power??
The bypass plug is something you can put in when you want to temporarily remove the Dinan performance tune and run the stock tune. The Dinan ECU module unplugs and then you will plug in the bypass plug in its place. After I had the Dinan tune installed, the bypass plug was in the glove box with a “Do Not throw out!” note on it.

I drove the car with the bypass plug in place for a couple of days thinking I would bring the car back to the dealership to see what was wrong with the Dinan ECU. Then I decided to plug the Dinan ECU back in to check if it was still having problems and it started working fine immediately and the car has only gotten faster since then. I’m very happy with my car’s performance now.

Last edited by AKSteve; 06-11-2019 at 08:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 12:53 PM   #19
99540
New Member
0
Rep
7
Posts

Drives: 20x4mcomp, 18m550, 95m3, 03cob
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: LI

iTrader: (0)

Theres a Dinan app that will allow you to bypass the tune, I would start with that first rather than going under the hood.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 01:41 PM   #20
AddyDaddy
Captain
AddyDaddy's Avatar
United_States
274
Rep
910
Posts

Drives: M5's, 535.335, M550i
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Here

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99540 View Post
Theres a Dinan app that will allow you to bypass the tune, I would start with that first rather than going under the hood.
I got it installed this morning.
The new V2 for the M550 doesn't have Bluetooth ability.. you have to remove key away from car, disconnect battery then plug the plug into the device under the hood to go back to stock tune for service or if there's an issue. Kinda not a great attribute but I can live with it.
__________________
2012 335 Retired ,
2013 535i M, Carbon black 20' 6 M wheels, totaled.
2018 750M ,
2013 M5 , Individual Silver, Bolt ons-Straight piped
2019 M550 686BK Black Chrome 20"wheels, Evolve Stage 1, Res delete
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 01:57 PM   #21
99540
New Member
0
Rep
7
Posts

Drives: 20x4mcomp, 18m550, 95m3, 03cob
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: LI

iTrader: (0)

Sorry, didn't realize that, i wonder why they removed it, odd.



Quote:
Originally Posted by AddyDaddy View Post
I got it installed this morning.
The new V2 for the M550 doesn't have Bluetooth ability.. you have to remove key away from car, disconnect battery then plug the plug into the device under the hood to go back to stock tune for service or if there's an issue. Kinda not a great attribute but I can live with it.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 03:23 PM   #22
AddyDaddy
Captain
AddyDaddy's Avatar
United_States
274
Rep
910
Posts

Drives: M5's, 535.335, M550i
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Here

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99540 View Post
Sorry, didn't realize that, i wonder why they removed it, odd.



Quote:
Originally Posted by AddyDaddy View Post
I got it installed this morning.
The new V2 for the M550 doesn't have Bluetooth ability.. you have to remove key away from car, disconnect battery then plug the plug into the device under the hood to go back to stock tune for service or if there's an issue. Kinda not a great attribute but I can live with it.
Yeah would have been something I would have paid extra for. Last thing I need to do is be under the hood of this computer lol. I can work on basic engines but these cars make me nervous when fiddling around
__________________
2012 335 Retired ,
2013 535i M, Carbon black 20' 6 M wheels, totaled.
2018 750M ,
2013 M5 , Individual Silver, Bolt ons-Straight piped
2019 M550 686BK Black Chrome 20"wheels, Evolve Stage 1, Res delete
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:17 PM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST