BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding rear view camera retrofit

08-03-2020, 07:49 PM   #23
Joe51
Rep
Drives: G30 530e

Just replace a much loved E60 after 12 years of trouble free motoring with a 2017 low mileage pristine G30 530e msport. Car has everything I desire except a reversing camera. Encouraged by all the helpful contributions in this post (and dealer quotes of Eur 1,300!!) I plan to install it myself and have ordered the BMW original rerofit kit on eBay from Lithuania for Eur220. Have never attempted anything as complex as this before. The supplier offers a remote coding service at half the cost I have been quoted by local independent service shops. I am concerned that there may be a big risk of problems with trying to code remotely and wonder if anybody has experience of this and how it went.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 07:07 PM   #24
Joe51
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe51 View Post
Just replace a much loved E60 after 12 years of trouble free motoring with a 2017 low mileage pristine G30 530e msport. Car has everything I desire except a reversing camera. Encouraged by all the helpful contributions in this post (and dealer quotes of Eur 1,300!!) I plan to install it myself and have ordered the BMW original rerofit kit on eBay from Lithuania for Eur220. Have never attempted anything as complex as this before. The supplier offers a remote coding service at half the cost I have been quoted by local independent service shops. I am concerned that there may be a big risk of problems with trying to code remotely and wonder if anybody has experience of this and how it went.
Thanks
Hi guys,

Anybody out there who can advise re above?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 08:31 AM   #25
Shatter
Mr. Nobody
Finland
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
I did the retrofit myself and it was fairly easy with the instructions, you just need to undo some interior in order to change the boot handle with the camera and then routing the necessary cables to the front. Biggest job is installing the hardware.

Coding is just a matter of adding 3AG to your car's equipment list and re-coding few modules, if you have never done coding with E-Sys i highly recommend to use any remote coding service. It's a 5 minute job for a guy who knows what they are doing!
Retrofits: None
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 04:25 AM   #26
EliasBMW
Registered
Rep
Drives: G30 F34

Hello,
I have installed my rear view camera for the G30. The coding was done before installing. I checked every connection from the BDC and the Fusebox everything is fine. When I pop into reverse the camera menu is locked I can't check the rear view camera box, nor can I change any other setting in that menu. Can anyone help?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 09:50 AM   #27
kubax86
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliasBMW View Post
Hello,
I have installed my rear view camera for the G30. The coding was done before installing. I checked every connection from the BDC and the Fusebox everything is fine. When I pop into reverse the camera menu is locked I can't check the rear view camera box, nor can I change any other setting in that menu. Can anyone help?
Wrong coding.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 07:32 PM   #28
Joe51
Rep

G30 Retrofit Successful

Posts in this thread (and outrageous dealer prices) gave me the courage to take on the task of fitting the camera. Had never done anything as tricky as this before. A few tips which others may find helpful;

1. I have attached BMW fitting instructions to this post.
Also lots of useful info on removing trim on https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...ody-equipment/

2. Second most difficult part was fishing wires through from boot to car interior. Eventually managed to push a straightened wire coat hanger through to the boot from under removed seat side panel

3. Most difficult was terminating the cables in the BDC connector blocks. Firstly they are very difficult to access under the driver side foot well (RHD) and there is very little slack on the cables Secondly, took me a while to figure out how to disassemble the connector block to insert the new wires/pins. Eventually figured that they are pushed out from the rear after having inserted a small nail down the front of the block to release the locking tabs (unfortunately forgot to take a picture to upload).

4. Thought I was home and dry at that stage until I discovered that one of the sockets in the connection block specified on Page 14 of the BMW Instructions (highlighted in yellow in the attached doc) was already occupied !! Eventually figured out that there was in error in the BMW document. Branch A6 connects to PIN 54 on A258*8B and not A258*9B as listed. The correct version is actually specified on Page 8 of the document.

5. The only thing left was to have the camera coded. This was done remotely by the company who supplied the camera (based in Lithuania) as I didn't have the courage to risk that myself. Not sure what the etiquette is regarding recommending a supplier in the forum but happy to do via PM.

Hope someone finds this post useful.https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/im...es/thumbup.gif
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Reversing Camera fitting instructions_JM.pdf (2.33 MB, 1656 views)
Appreciate 2
      02-16-2021, 05:16 AM   #29
MrLatte
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i

Has anyone retro fitted this via a dealer or 3rd party service?

Im in the uk and the dealer is trying to persuade me into a new car, even for me that would be a huge quantum leap!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 03:53 PM   #30
The Zimmer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G31 Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinguthepenguin View Post
Hi All,

I really wish I had rear view camera on my car and spoke to the local dealer who advised that I need following parts:-
66557942742 - Rearview Camera
66212450878 - Retrofit Kit

Both of these come to less than £300

The parts team then looked at the instructions and suggest it will take 4 hours but both the power and data connections are all in boot, has anyone got any experience of this as the labour cost is £530 and I am thinking of going elsewhere

Or even a copy of the instructions?
Can I check if you are in the UK ?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 07:42 AM   #31
sashafirst
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 G 30

Good day. I also put myself a camera. I bought a set of retrofits, a camera through an advertisement. Hook up to the BDC unit. Encoded all blocks with the "3AG" option. But it doesn't work. All icons appeared in the menu but there is no image. Initially, when encoding, an error appeared on the side of ICAM4, that there is no CAFD fffffff_255_255_255. I clicked Detect CAF for SWE, selected the last file there, and encoded with it. Now ICAM has been programmed, but there is still no image ... It also confuses me that the TRSWC block is displayed in the Reyngold and it is incorrectly encoded. I ask for help in finding the required CAF.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 11:12 AM   #32
padraigg
Rep
Drives: 520D G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubax86 View Post
This retrofit is tooooo expensive. You could buy all parts including rear view camera for around 150 USD.
Coding is also easy.
PM me for more.
I'm looking at fitting an OEM reversing camera - https://www.hubauer-shop.de/en/rever...559495896.html
Can you help me code this if I fit it?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 11:14 AM   #33
padraigg
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe51 View Post
Posts in this thread (and outrageous dealer prices) gave me the courage to take on the task of fitting the camera. Had never done anything as tricky as this before. A few tips which others may find helpful;

1. I have attached BMW fitting instructions to this post.
Also lots of useful info on removing trim on https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...ody-equipment/

2. Second most difficult part was fishing wires through from boot to car interior. Eventually managed to push a straightened wire coat hanger through to the boot from under removed seat side panel

3. Most difficult was terminating the cables in the BDC connector blocks. Firstly they are very difficult to access under the driver side foot well (RHD) and there is very little slack on the cables Secondly, took me a while to figure out how to disassemble the connector block to insert the new wires/pins. Eventually figured that they are pushed out from the rear after having inserted a small nail down the front of the block to release the locking tabs (unfortunately forgot to take a picture to upload).

4. Thought I was home and dry at that stage until I discovered that one of the sockets in the connection block specified on Page 14 of the BMW Instructions (highlighted in yellow in the attached doc) was already occupied !! Eventually figured out that there was in error in the BMW document. Branch A6 connects to PIN 54 on A258*8B and not A258*9B as listed. The correct version is actually specified on Page 8 of the document.

5. The only thing left was to have the camera coded. This was done remotely by the company who supplied the camera (based in Lithuania) as I didn't have the courage to risk that myself. Not sure what the etiquette is regarding recommending a supplier in the forum but happy to do via PM.

Hope someone finds this post useful.https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/im...es/thumbup.gif
Hi Joe, could you pm me the details please?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 04:36 PM   #34
Sasquartch
Major
Rep
Drives: 520i G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sashafirst View Post
Good day. I also put myself a camera. I bought a set of retrofits, a camera through an advertisement. Hook up to the BDC unit. Encoded all blocks with the "3AG" option. But it doesn't work. All icons appeared in the menu but there is no image. Initially, when encoding, an error appeared on the side of ICAM4, that there is no CAFD fffffff_255_255_255. I clicked Detect CAF for SWE, selected the last file there, and encoded with it. Now ICAM has been programmed, but there is still no image ... It also confuses me that the TRSWC block is displayed in the Reyngold and it is incorrectly encoded. I ask for help in finding the required CAF.
Did you ever resolve this ?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 04:58 PM   #35
Marodon
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by padraigg View Post
I'm looking at fitting an OEM reversing camera - https://www.hubauer-shop.de/en/rever...559495896.html
Can you help me code this if I fit it?
Padraig, I am also looking at getting a camera.
I got a 2017 520D a month ago, had a Jaguar XF with a reverse camera before this and really missed the camera at the start kind or more used of the sensors now but would still love the camera.
Think I would be OK fitting the camera but the coding bit is seems to be the tricky bit - I am sure it's easy if you knew how.
Does the link you posted include everything for fitting. It's the first time I have seen that the OEM camera is Bosch.
If you get anywhere with this I would really appreciate if you would let me know.
If I get any helpful info I will certainly let you know, by the way I am in Kildare.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 02:54 AM   #36
Sasquartch
Major
Rep

I have just done this retrofit on my G30 (2019)

I used new parts from a BMW dealer, you need the retrofit kit which is the loom and handle, and the camera itself.

Parts are :

Fitting kit £30.07
Camera £318.74

So not cheap.

Originally I was going to get someone to supply and fit for £400 but the person I spoke to was a bit vague as to where the camera was sourced from, a lot of them are second hand on ebay from places like Lithuania. After thinking about it for a bit I decided to do the job myself, also if you provide your chassis number to the dealer you get a 2 year warranty on the camera.

I'm pretty handy, trained in electronics and work in IT so perhaps I'm better prepared for a job like this but it isn't a 5 minute job. However it's all easily do-able if you take it slowly and anyone could do it

The biggest task is removing everything to get access to physically install the parts.

I bought a set of trim removal tools from ebay for about £16 which I'd definitely recommend

You need to remove the following, rear seat (2 torx bolts), bootlid liner, boot hinge trim, rear boot trim, right hand boot liner, the plastic trim on the doorsteps, the panel above the pedals, the bonnet release handle and the fottwell trim. So quite a lot to do but actually it all came off and went back together without any damage

Mounting the camera is easy, just snap all the bits together on the new handle which comes in the kit and swap the handles over. Then it's really just running the loom, there's a power and earth to the rear fusebox and the ethernet wires run to the front footwell, just following the existing loom. Connecting to the BDC module connectors is very fiddly but just carefully dismantle the connectors and connect the wires (there is an error in the instructions) I actually soldered the wires to the new connectors but that's probably overkill. Note that the loom provided can be used for cars with an ethernet switch which isn't the case for UK cars that all have Pro Nav so the connector on the loom is cut off

Once all installed you need to code. I did have issues with this but have eventually concluded that it was because I was using esys 3.27. Elsewhere I found that 3.30 is recommended for VO coding G30 cars so that's what I did

You need to VO code 3AG and code a few modules (HU-NBT2, ICAM4, ACSM5 at least although you can just code everything). This brings up a few faults so I used ISTA/D to clear them. Note that ISTA/D in the control unit tree shows TRVCS instead of ICAM4 but I think that's just a quirk.

ANyway, everything works and I'm pretty pleased although my coding didn't go to plan originally with 3.27 esys

I could do it all again in probably 4 hours with the benefit of experience but allow a full day if you've never done it before and you should be fine.

So make sure you buy the correct parts, some trim tools, have a laptop with ISTA/D and esys 3.30 and you should be fine
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 04:59 PM   #37
Marodon
Rep

Sasquartch, delighted to hear that it all worked out good - 4 hours would be nice but wouldn't really care if it took a full day (or a few days), I would love to do it myself.
Would you have the BMW part numbers from the parts you bought - as I would like to get same.
I work with IT\Tech and am pretty hands on - the physical installation and connection doesn't bother me but the coding part from what I have read might be complex.
That being said you seem to make it sound relatively easy.
Anyway, fair play to you for taking on and seeing it through.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 06:15 AM   #38
Sasquartch
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodon View Post
Would you have the BMW part numbers from the parts you bought - as I would like to get same.
The loom / handle kit is 66212450878 and the camera is 66555A1BC30 which is an updated part according to the parts guy at the dealer

However I'd provide the dealer with your chassis number and let them decide the correct parts, that way there is comeback if some reason it isn't compatible.

Mine is a early 2019 model
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 02:14 PM   #39
padraigg
Rep

Quote:
Padraig, I am also looking at getting a camera.
I got a 2017 520D a month ago, had a Jaguar XF with a reverse camera before this and really missed the camera at the start kind or more used of the sensors now but would still love the camera.
Sorry for the delay delay getting back. I ordered the following from https://www.hubauer-shop.de/en/

1 Set Original BMW Reversing camera retrofit kit (66212450878)

1 Piece Original BMW Reversing camera BOSCH (66555A1BC30)

Still waiting on delivery. I also got Bimmercode & OBDLink CX for coding. I'm happy to let you use the coder when I'm finished with it. I'm in Navan.

Mine is a 181
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 04:38 PM   #40
Marodon
Rep

Quote:
Sorry for the delay delay getting back. I ordered the following from https://www.hubauer-shop.de/en/

1 Set Original BMW Reversing camera retrofit kit (66212450878)

1 Piece Original BMW Reversing camera BOSCH (66555A1BC30)

Still waiting on delivery. I also got Bimmercode & OBDLink CX for coding. I'm happy to let you use the coder when I'm finished with it. I'm in Navan.

Mine is a 181
Padraig, I have been looking at hubauer-shop also and it does seem like a good option.
I had downloaded esys 3.27 on to a laptop yesterday to try and get my head around it and then I saw your post about bimmercode.
I have downloaded the app and watched videos on it. Seems much easier to set up and use compared to esys - I am guessing you need to use Expert Mode to enable the reverse camera.
I am going to order an OBDLink CX also, could you tell where you got your one - as yours turned up OK I would go for the same supplier.
Really interested to hear how it all works out for you.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 09:26 AM   #41
padraigg
Rep

Quote:
Padraig, I have been looking at hubauer-shop also and it does seem like a good option.
I had downloaded esys 3.27 on to a laptop yesterday to try and get my head around it and then I saw your post about bimmercode.
I have downloaded the app and watched videos on it. Seems much easier to set up and use compared to esys - I am guessing you need to use Expert Mode to enable the reverse camera.
I am going to order an OBDLink CX also, could you tell where you got your one - as yours turned up OK I would go for the same supplier.
Really interested to hear how it all works out for you.
The loom and camera were delivered today so hoping to start this tomorrow. I got the OBDLink CX from Amazon, OBDLINK CX Bimmercode Bluetooth... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08NFLL3NT?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 04:53 AM   #42
padraigg
Rep

Quote:
The loom and camera were delivered today so hoping to start this tomorrow. I got the OBDLink CX from Amazon, OBDLINK CX Bimmercode Bluetooth... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08NFLL3...p_mob_ap_share
Hi Marodon, just got a response from Bimmercode to say coding of reverse camera is not supported by the app.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 06:09 AM   #43
padraigg
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquartch View Post

I used new parts from a BMW dealer, you need the retrofit kit which is the loom and handle, and the camera itself.

Parts are :

Fitting kit £30.07
Camera £318.74

So not cheap.

Originally I was going to get someone to supply and fit for £400 but the person I spoke to was a bit vague as to where the camera was sourced from, a lot of them are second hand on ebay from places like Lithuania. After thinking about it for a bit I decided to do the job myself, also if you provide your chassis number to the dealer you get a 2 year warranty on the camera.

I'm pretty handy, trained in electronics and work in IT so perhaps I'm better prepared for a job like this but it isn't a 5 minute job. However it's all easily do-able if you take it slowly and anyone could do it

The biggest task is removing everything to get access to physically install the parts.

I bought a set of trim removal tools from ebay for about £16 which I'd definitely recommend

You need to remove the following, rear seat (2 torx bolts), bootlid liner, boot hinge trim, rear boot trim, right hand boot liner, the plastic trim on the doorsteps, the panel above the pedals, the bonnet release handle and the fottwell trim. So quite a lot to do but actually it all came off and went back together without any damage

Mounting the camera is easy, just snap all the bits together on the new handle which comes in the kit and swap the handles over. Then it's really just running the loom, there's a power and earth to the rear fusebox and the ethernet wires run to the front footwell, just following the existing loom. Connecting to the BDC module connectors is very fiddly but just carefully dismantle the connectors and connect the wires (there is an error in the instructions) I actually soldered the wires to the new connectors but that's probably overkill. Note that the loom provided can be used for cars with an ethernet switch which isn't the case for UK cars that all have Pro Nav so the connector on the loom is cut off

Once all installed you need to code. I did have issues with this but have eventually concluded that it was because I was using esys 3.27. Elsewhere I found that 3.30 is recommended for VO coding G30 cars so that's what I did

You need to VO code 3AG and code a few modules (HU-NBT2, ICAM4, ACSM5 at least although you can just code everything). This brings up a few faults so I used ISTA/D to clear them. Note that ISTA/D in the control unit tree shows TRVCS instead of ICAM4 but I think that's just a quirk.

ANyway, everything works and I'm pretty pleased although my coding didn't go to plan originally with 3.27 esys

I could do it all again in probably 4 hours with the benefit of experience but allow a full day if you've never done it before and you should be fine.

So make sure you buy the correct parts, some trim tools, have a laptop with ISTA/D and esys 3.30 and you should be fine
Hi Sasquartch, have you a VO coding guide that you could share?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 07:09 AM   #44
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquartch View Post

Parts are :

Fitting kit £30.07
Camera £318.74

So not cheap.

Hi Sasquartch, have you a VO coding guide that you could share?
This site has links to everything you need to do both fdl and vo coding. You can also PM ShawnSheridan and he'll send you his version which might have some additional or newer info.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/c...-links.983244/