BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding rear view camera retrofit

05-03-2018, 04:16 PM   #1
pinguthepenguin
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

rear view camera retrofit

Hi All,

I really wish I had rear view camera on my car and spoke to the local dealer who advised that I need following parts:-
66557942742 - Rearview Camera
66212450878 - Retrofit Kit

Both of these come to less than £300

The parts team then looked at the instructions and suggest it will take 4 hours but both the power and data connections are all in boot, has anyone got any experience of this as the labour cost is £530 and I am thinking of going elsewhere

Or even a copy of the instructions?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 12:02 AM   #2
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 520i

I suspect you might needed coding too. Dealer only or a friend on here?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 03:12 PM   #3
pinguthepenguin
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

instructions

So i managed to get hold of the instructions not as simple of job as hoped!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf fitting instructions.pdf (699.7 KB, 8171 views)
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 02:41 PM   #4
KGI
Denmark
Rep
Drives: E60 535D , E63 645ci, E10 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephead2004 View Post
I suspect you might needed coding too. Dealer only or a friend on here?
Yes, this retrofit need to be coded.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 02:43 PM   #5
sebica79
Rep
Drives: BMW F20

Hello,

I found this topic very useful. I still have a small situation that i would like to clarify with you here. Maybe we could find a solution.

I bought the OEM retrofit kit from BMW AG and separately the camera from a friend with spare parts.
I've started to look into the documentation and confronted with the reality on the car.

When it comes to module Z2 rear right fuse box for the G30, I was not able to see available on the car, the slot Z2*3B where the open cable A3 should be plugged in.

Is there any other connector that needs to be present (the actual Z2*3B) before trying to plug in the miniature connector G? Can I use other location from the rear right fuse box?

I'm looking forward for your answers.

Later edit: Please see the attached file with the fuse box.

Best regards,
Sebi.
Attached Images

Last edited by sebica79; 01-28-2019 at 02:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 06:43 PM   #6
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540ix M Sport

I have the rear view camera but would love to retrofit a front camera. Just asked dealer today and he said not possible because wiring isn't there and coding needed. How did you find part # for retro fit rear? Do you know of a kit for front camera? I'm not trying to get the 3D view but just front camera to work like rear.
US G30 540iX M sport

Thanks
      01-29-2019, 01:59 AM   #7
GaSelle
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ´23 iX3 M Sport Charged

Quote:
Originally Posted by saporitj View Post
I have the rear view camera but would love to retrofit a front camera. Just asked dealer today and he said not possible because wiring isn't there and coding needed. How did you find part # for retro fit rear? Do you know of a kit for front camera? I'm not trying to get the 3D view but just front camera to work like rear.
US G30 540iX M sport

Thanks
The reverse camera comes as an OEM retrofit kit. I can´t find similar for the front camera.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 11:45 PM   #8
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540ix M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaSelle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by saporitj View Post
US G30 540iX M sport

Thanks
The reverse camera comes as an OEM retrofit kit. I can´t find similar for the front camera.
Thank you. I looked around and had the same results. Only thing missing from my car is the cameras 🤬
Oversight on my part. Someone is trying a 3D camera retrofit but a lot of effort. All I want is the front for pulling into parking spaces.
      07-04-2019, 02:17 PM   #9
macmaw
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebica79 View Post
Hello,

I found this topic very useful. I still have a small situation that i would like to clarify with you here. Maybe we could find a solution.

I bought the OEM retrofit kit from BMW AG and separately the camera from a friend with spare parts.
I've started to look into the documentation and confronted with the reality on the car.

When it comes to module Z2 rear right fuse box for the G30, I was not able to see available on the car, the slot Z2*3B where the open cable A3 should be plugged in.

Is there any other connector that needs to be present (the actual Z2*3B) before trying to plug in the miniature connector G? Can I use other location from the rear right fuse box?

Best regards,
Sebi.
Did you ever get anywhere with this?
I have the same issue
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 03:06 PM   #10
unclez
Rep
Drives: VW

Did anybody manage to install the rear camera?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 10:44 PM   #11
macmaw
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclez View Post
Did anybody manage to install the rear camera?
I have installed mines, but not yet working, suspect a bad connection or coding issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 10:55 PM   #12
macmaw
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebica79 View Post
Hello,

Best regards,
Sebi.
The instructions show the view looking out from behind the fuse panel, so the fuse you want is the 5A fuse, which has a green wire going to pin 11, this is where you splice the red / violet wire in to - see attached photo where I have marked the fuse you want - remove this fuse panel and you will get access to splice in to the green wire then.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 06:38 PM   #13
kubax86
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmaw View Post
I have installed mines, but not yet working, suspect a bad connection or coding issue.
It could be eariler version of iLevel, try to upgrade it and it should be good.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 01:55 AM   #14
Momo Jch
Rep
Drives: BMW F34 330

You can install a full car camera
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 05:21 PM   #15
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

Hi all,

This is one retrofit that didn't come with my car. Should be easier compared to upgrading my F31 from non-Nav + Combox to ProNav. Anyway so it might help others the PDF cable codes refer to:

GN - Green
GE - Yellow
WS - White
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 11:09 AM   #16
Sasquartch
Major
Rep
Drives: 520i G30

Does anyone know how you would code in the retrofit kit (genuine) using eSys ??

Is it just a case of activating parameters (which I'm comfortable with) in existing modules or is it more involved ?

The instructions refer to using ISTA/P I think but would have thought esys should be able to do the same thing.

Any advice welcome
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 08:04 AM   #17
afi2k
Registered
Rep
Drives: G30

Hopefully taking delivery of a new G30 m sport in a few weeks time, at the price I couldn't spec any extras. What I would've liked was power fold mirrors and reverse camera, personally think they should be standard features on a premium car.

I can live without the power fold mirrors, but would like to retrofit the reverse camera, came across a kit on eBay https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F254202780386

Does say in description that it's OEM anyone had any experience, I know I have to code it, had an E60 years ago and had ISTA but that laptops knackered now, hoping someone in the Midlands has the kit to code for me and if possible give me a hand in install.

All help appreciated
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 09:29 AM   #18
kubax86
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by afi2k View Post
Hopefully taking delivery of a new G30 m sport in a few weeks time, at the price I couldn't spec any extras. What I would've liked was power fold mirrors and reverse camera, personally think they should be standard features on a premium car.

I can live without the power fold mirrors, but would like to retrofit the reverse camera, came across a kit on eBay https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F254202780386

Does say in description that it's OEM anyone had any experience, I know I have to code it, had an E60 years ago and had ISTA but that laptops knackered now, hoping someone in the Midlands has the kit to code for me and if possible give me a hand in install.

All help appreciated
This retrofit is tooooo expensive. You could buy all parts including rear view camera for around 150 USD.
Coding is also easy.
PM me for more.
Appreciate 3
      11-30-2019, 09:35 AM   #19
Bollywoodkid
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubax86 View Post
Quote:

All help appreciated
This retrofit is tooooo expensive. You could buy all parts including rear view camera for around 150 USD.
Coding is also easy.
PM me for more.
Does anyone have a picture of how the retro looks?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 04:31 AM   #20
afi2k
Registered
Rep
Drives: G30

Quote:
Quote:

All help appreciated
Coding is also easy.
PM me for more.
PMed
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 01:17 PM   #21
thxex
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW G30

Quote:
Coding is also easy.
PM me for more.
Recent G30 purchaser sans reversing camera so interested.
Will PM you for more info.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 06:05 AM   #22
macmaw
Rep

Quote:
It could be eariler version of iLevel, try to upgrade it and it should be good.
I think you could be right there. 😁
It was remote coded a while ago, by Bimmertech USA, and didn’t work following that.
It was at the dealership on Monday for a recall job and I asked them to look in to it and check the connections at the BDC plugs as they are tricky to make.
They said they “programmed” it but was still not working and suggested I remove and reinstall, my instinct was still to check the BDC plugs which they hadn’t done.
When I drove the car home.......the camera is now working.
I can only assume this is because a software update was performed also.
It maybe never worked with them as it maybe has to go to sleep for a while, I’m not sure.
I seem to remember the coder telling me to wait half an hour before trying it.
Appreciate 0