BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding G30 trunk component question

10-26-2020, 10:35 AM   #1
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport etc

G30 trunk component question

And I just realized I posted this in the wrong section - my apologies, I thought I was in the general area.

I would welcome your collective wisdom on this.
When you open the trunk, the underside of the lid has this little plastic lid that can be opened.
It's an incredibly tiny place. can't think what one would put there - copy of insurance? cyanide pill? drug stash? it's so bizarre.

for clarity, think of it as being the back of the license plate but from the inside.
(just above the recessed area for the hand grips if you want to close the trunk manually)

In my E46, that location is for the the drop-down toolkit and the auto trunk release (if i recall correctly). So I checked it out of habit, and found that tiny little plastic lid which I can't seem to find any detail on.
this is what I found on realoem: part #51497433086 Trim panel finisher

Being a US model, didn't come with any first aid kit or hazard warning triangle or any of that good stuff (though I have heard the newer X1's have that first aid kit now? but I digress...)

Just seems rather useless which is odd to me - usually, there's a very form follows function thing in these cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 11:37 AM   #2
GaSelle
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ´23 iX3 M Sport Charged

It´s where the holder for a hazard warning triangle would be located; they´re optional on some markets.
      10-26-2020, 05:03 PM   #3
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport etc

thank you
Appreciate 0