BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications NEW RELEASE: Stage 1 DINANTRONICS Elite (M550i)

04-18-2019, 07:24 PM   #89
modthispny
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 540i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSteve View Post
Either the Elite Ver. 2 tune is beyond worthless or Dinan really did send me the wrong ECU. I haven't had a chance go do any timed 0-60 runs because of traffic during the day and bad weather at night, but my car definitely feels slower with the tune installed. Especially low end torque. It's just gone. I took the tuned ECU off and installed the provided bypass and now the car has its part-throttle torque back again. Hopefully I can do a timed run later tonight.
has to be an issue with the installation. wouldn't really use the sport display as a measure, but the car should definitely feel faster. I would message Dinan_Engineering
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 07:26 AM   #90
ksoze
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSteve View Post
Either the Elite Ver. 2 tune is beyond worthless or Dinan really did send me the wrong ECU.
....or it's installed incorrectly. Call or email Dinan support - they respond well.
      04-24-2019, 03:41 PM   #91
AKSteve
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Competition Convertible

After snowing here every day for the past week or so, we finally had a sunny day so I could sort this all out. I had removed the Dinan ECU last week and installed the bypass plug and the car was driving just fine. I reinstalled the Dinan ECU last night and....it's working!

Using the Dash Command app, I did a 0-60 run in 4.9sec compared to about 5.5sec with the bypass plug installed. This wasn't using launch control; just mashing the pedal when the light turned green. I don't think the Dash Command app is very accurate, so I'm sure the car is quicker than that. I just wanted to verify that the tune is working and that the car is faster than stock (ie.,with the bypass plug in place).

Maybe the Dinan ECU just needed a hard reset or something, but it seems to be working well now. I'll probably do some more 0-60 comparisons between Dinan ECU and the bypass plug once the weather warms up. It was in the low 30°'s when I tested the car earlier and the roads were also a bit damp.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      04-24-2019, 05:23 PM   #92
modthispny
Lieutenant
Rep

good to here. Now all Dinan needs to do is nudge california carb so i can get this installed on my damn car!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 11:11 PM   #93
MHendricks82
United_States
Rep
Drives: M550i

Any news on a Stage 2 from Dinan for the M550? I've been running Stage 1 for about a year now and have the itch for more power!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 09:33 AM   #94
AddyDaddy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 M60, M5's, 535.335, M550i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHendricks82 View Post
Any news on a Stage 2 from Dinan for the M550? I've been running Stage 1 for about a year now and have the itch for more power!
Stage 2 means you need to have down pipes if I remember correctly
2019 M550 686BK Black Chrome 20"wheels, filters, Evolve Stage 1, Res delete
2024 i5 M60 Cape York Green
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 12:22 PM   #95
basically11
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550

Still waiting to hear about California.

I am itching and running out of patience. May jump on one of the other options as my Local BMW dealer said they stopped doing Dinan but would drive to one that still supports Dinan if it can come out soon!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 10:47 AM   #96
modthispny
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by basically11 View Post
Still waiting to hear about California.

I am itching and running out of patience. May jump on one of the other options as my Local BMW dealer said they stopped doing Dinan but would drive to one that still supports Dinan if it can come out soon!
same here.

which dealer was this? pacific? I believe rusnak bmw still supports dinan.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 11:22 AM   #97
AddyDaddy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
You can go onto dinans website and search approved installers. That's what I did to save the hour drive to the BMW dealer closest that still does installs for Dinan. I found one about 20 min drive away, that way I knew it would be done right. I paid I think total out the door $1980/$2000 and found a new place that was nice clean and professional
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 01:58 PM   #98
basically11
Rep

Yes it was Pacific. I leased my M550 from them.

Also, the item says not legal in California on their website. Will a shop still order it for me and install it?

Last edited by basically11; 07-05-2019 at 09:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 03:02 PM   #99
basically11
Rep

Any update from Dinan on California? Still waiting.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 07:39 AM   #100
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by basically11 View Post
Any update from Dinan on California? Still waiting.
No news/update from CARB that I have heard about.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 03:26 PM   #101
rudling
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post

Can you tell us where you are in the process? Have you submitted your Exec Order Application yet? Doing testing now? Etc.. This might help those of us who are still sitting on the fence decide whether to continue to wait. You guys were saying it would be "a month or so," in January.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 06:51 PM   #102
modthispny
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudling View Post
Quote:

Can you tell us where you are in the process? Have you submitted your Exec Order Application yet? Doing testing now? Etc.. This might help those of us who are still sitting on the fence decide whether to continue to wait. You guys were saying it would be "a month or so," in January.
This!

When I called In January was told "any week now". Beginning to think there are other reasons not being disclosed. Kind of ridiculous tbh.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 08:06 AM   #103
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by modthispny View Post
This!

When I called In January was told "any week now". Beginning to think there are other reasons not being disclosed. Kind of ridiculous tbh.
January was when the application was initially submitted to SEMA/CARB. Once its submitted we are at the mercy of CARB with the typical application taking a year or more before an EO is given. We have been working with SEMA Garage to prep this application and others for "fast-tracking" the CARB side. Testing is done however and final paperwork is now with CARB. How long it takes them to get to it in their stack, rubberstamp it, and generate an EO number is anyone's guess. Emissions testing is a painful waiting game I'm afraid.

People wonder why I don't give ETA's. THIS is exactly why.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 10:06 AM   #104
modthispny
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This!

January was when the application was initially submitted to SEMA/CARB. Once its submitted we are at the mercy of CARB with the typical application taking a year or more before an EO is given. We have been working with SEMA Garage to prep this application and others for "fast-tracking" the CARB side. Testing is done however and final paperwork is now with CARB. How long it takes them to get to it in their stack, rubberstamp it, and generate an EO number is anyone's guess. Emissions testing is a painful waiting game I'm afraid.

You never did, but the Dinan CSRs have.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 03:01 PM   #105
rudling
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550ix

Quote:

Actually, SEMA's own publication says that the process is much faster than this. It lists the following steps:
  1. Dinan submits an EO application, including a test lab of Dinan's choice
  2. CARB sends a test letter specifying a test car and authorizing you and your lab to begin testing
  3. You and your lab test. CARB is uninvolved in the testing. You test until you get "satisfactory" results.
  4. You submit results to CARB. SEMA's guide says that (unless they challenge the results), it should then take "about 30 days" for CARB to issue the EO.
So, again - you're certainly not obligated to tell us anything, but if you'd like us to continue to wait, I think it would be helpful to understand what's really going on.

If CARB is really the source of the delay, then it sounds like:
  • You've submitted the EO app (in Jan), but CARB has taken 6+ months to respond with a test letter; or
  • You've completed your testing, and CARB has challenged your results, electing to do their own testing, which can take an unspecified amount of time.

So, is one of these the case? I guess the other possibilities are:
  • You're still doing testing, and not getting compliant results; or
  • SEMA's understanding of the process is incorrect; or
  • ...???

Thanks..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 03:44 PM   #106
AddyDaddy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Actually, SEMA's own publication says that the process is much faster than this. It lists the following steps:
  2. CARB sends a test letter specifying a test car and authorizing you and your lab to begin testing
  3. You and your lab test. CARB is uninvolved in the testing. You test until you get "satisfactory" results.
  4. You submit results to CARB. SEMA's guide says that (unless they challenge the results), it should then take "about 30 days" for CARB to issue the EO.
So, again - you're certainly not obligated to tell us anything, but if you'd like us to continue to wait, I think it would be helpful to understand what's really going on.

• You've submitted the EO app (in Jan), but CARB has taken 6+ months to respond with a test letter; or
  • You've completed your testing, and CARB has challenged your results, electing to do their own testing, which can take an unspecified amount of time.

• ...???

Thanks..
Just paypal me your money(so your safe and have record in case your concerned, as I would be), I'll buy the unit, send you tracking and when I get it I will ship to you and send tracking. Maybe I'm wrong but seems like in Cali you just can't buy it? If that's the case I'll help you get it. Just pay the shipping from me to your place in Cali. Or you concerned about the warranty aspect being in Cali and their laws or dinans rules?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 05:04 PM   #107
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

• ...???

Thanks..
What I originally stated still holds true. I am telling you the information that I have. If you choose not to believe it or think I am lying for some unknown benefit then so be it.

A couple things to note about the simplified process you mention.

1. You can submit directly through CARB and have them coordinate the testing directly as well. This is the "legacy" way of doing things and how we traditionally have done testing for the last 30+ years (1988 was our first CARB EO). Alternatively you can work with an authorized testing agent like SEMA Garage. In the past these independent stations were just as slow as CARB directly and usually did spotty tests which when submitted to CARB would be denied because they needed more info or what have you. It was simply easier to go directly through CARB and deal with the source and make sure everything was done how they wanted it. SEMA Garage is a more recognized source for doing the tests independently so we have been going that route as of recent hoping to eliminate some of the time involved. After VWGate all submissions seemed to drag on much longer as CARB was simply over worked and under the microscope. SEMA Garage offered a respected outlet that could potentially cut some of the red tape. The idea is that CARB would trust the results of a SEMA Garage more openly as they would be more thorough like their own tests leading to quicker turns. Yet to be seen if that's the case but that was the idea at least.

2. Generally speaking the timetable referenced above is relatively accurate however you will note that no time table is referenced for when the EO is submitted to the time you get a test letter. Traditionally, this was the longest waiting time and could take months to even get that initial test letter.

As far as this particular EO submission...

1. Initial application went to SEMA Garage in January (CARB notified as well).
2. How long it took to start testing and how long that testing took I could not say as I am not directly involved in that process. Every instance is different but its not uncommon to run tests and then the testing agent (or CARB if dealing directly with them) asks some questions and more tests are run to clarify results, etc. This can take some time but assuming it goes smoothly the actual testing is usually done in a week or 2.
3. Testing results from SEMA Garage were submitted to CARB in late June/early July (the internal person that deals with CARB is gone today so I am going off of memory a bit). That is where we sit. Waiting on CARB...

How long it will take them to process the paperwork I couldn't say. I find the 30 day window quoted above very suspect based off of experience but maybe they do hit that on occasion. I liken the "about 30 days" to the "in 2 weeks" response from vendors in the automotive aftermarket personally. However, I have become very pessimistic being in this industry for so many years as well. =)
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 01:19 PM   #108
modthispny
Lieutenant
Rep

Dinan_Engineering

any updates regarding CARB?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 02:44 PM   #109
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Dinan_Engineering

any updates regarding CARB?
Nada.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 09:17 PM   #110
LS954
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550I

Where can I find the installation instructions for the V1. Cant seem to locate them in yhr dinan site
Appreciate 0