BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis Brand New yet 3 year old !!! WTH

07-30-2019, 08:23 AM   #1
murmur
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 SO M3, 17 X5M, 18 M550

Brand New yet 3 year old !!! WTH

So, I have had my eye on the 669 wheels for a while and finally decided to pull the plug. Turns out the only way to get them was to order a set directly from BMW via my dealership. I was debating between the 668 and 669 and finally decided to go with the 669 given its overall weight saving and added value as its an optional "M Performance Accessory".

It also turns out that the wheels come mounted with Pirelli P Zero RF (PZ4) which was not my first choice. I was leaning more towards the Michelin PS4S. The dealership offered to change the tires but it was going to add another significant chunk, hence I decided to take it with the original mounted Pirellis.

The set was delivered last week and the first thing I noticed was the Tires had a date of manufacture stamp of 36th week 2016. I was not comfortable with a 3 year old stock tire and hence reordered another set and that also came with a similar aged tires. I called BMW NA and was basically told "it is what it is".

My tire guy said that per their guidelines, 6 years was the max life for these tires and based on the date of manufacture, I was getting tires with half the life on.... Just frustrated with this ordeal and these things were not cheap by any means,,,
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 08:54 AM   #2
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by murmur View Post
So, I have had my eye on the 669 wheels for a while and finally decided to pull the plug. Turns out the only way to get them was to order a set directly from BMW via my dealership. I was debating between the 668 and 669 and finally decided to go with the 669 given its overall weight saving and added value as its an optional "M Performance Accessory".

It also turns out that the wheels come mounted with Pirelli P Zero RF (PZ4) which was not my first choice. I was leaning more towards the Michelin PS4S. The dealership offered to change the tires but it was going to add another significant chunk, hence I decided to take it with the original mounted Pirellis.

The set was delivered last week and the first thing I noticed was the Tires had a date of manufacture stamp of 36th week 2016. I was not comfortable with a 3 year old stock tire and hence reordered another set and that also came with a similar aged tires. I called BMW NA and was basically told "it is what it is".

My tire guy said that per their guidelines, 6 years was the max life for these tires and based on the date of manufacture, I was getting tires with half the life on.... Just frustrated with this ordeal and these things were not cheap by any means,,,
Your tires aren't going to last three years anyway.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 04:15 AM   #3
cbarden
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5

I would feel upset, too! Although, if you use your car frequently enough to wear them out in the next 2 years, I would not worry too much.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 09:26 AM   #4
murmur
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 SO M3, 17 X5M, 18 M550

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
Quote:

They prolly won't, having said that I do swap to winters and use the summers for about 7 months or so.. also the miles are split between my other daily and the M550.

My point is that if I paid full price i.e. 5200 for a brand new set than why would they sell me some thing with half of its recommended life !
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 09:29 AM   #5
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
Quote:

They prolly won't, having said that I do swap to winters and use the summers for about 7 months or so.. also the miles are split between my other daily and the M550.

My point is that if I paid full price i.e. 5200 for a brand new set than why would they sell me some thing with half of its recommended life !
Let's put it another way. You wouldn't want to own tires that were 3 years old on cars like ours (let alone 6 years)! 😃

I'm a man of principles, so I understand how you feel.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 11:36 AM   #6
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

I would tell them to take the wheels and tires and, to quote Dick Cavett, put them where the moon don't shine.

At that price I would certainly expect tires that haven't been sitting around for three years. If they won't sell the wheels separately, look for other wheels from other sellers.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 05:47 AM   #7
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

They don’t sell well so BMW does not turn their stock over and your paying the price. I’d pass. Just order wheels and if you can’t find another wheel. That’s BS.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 06:40 AM   #8
ellisina4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C

I would return your set to Bmw and buy 669m wheels separately... here is the blink:

BMW G30 G31 G11 G12 OEM 669M 20" Orbit Gray M Five Double Spoke Bi-Color Wheels https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F153125301382

This is exactly what I did. Run flats are terrible all around... Michelin PSS are phenomenal.
Appreciate 0