BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Is this a BMW 5 Series Power eDrive (G30) boasting more than 670 hp and 737 lb-ft ??

05-15-2015, 11:27 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Lightbulb Is this a BMW 5 Series Power eDrive (G30) boasting more than 670 hp and 737 lb-ft ??

BIMMERPOST NEWS
Next gen G30 5 Series eDrive prototype
COMMENTS
Name:  BMW M5 7.jpg
Views: 15375
Size:  276.6 KB

What we previously thought could be an early next generation M5 prototype is instead a G30 5 Series eDrive prototype. While the mention of anything hybrid may not get your enthusiast heart racing, this particular model just may change that... *if* it receives the same hybrid "power eDrive" powerplant that was recently previewed in a 5 Series GT prototype by BMW to the press.

Here's some enticing details of the Power eDrive system from the 5 Series GT eDrive prototype:

The Power eDrive system featured new turbo 2.0L four-cylinder petrol engine with 228 bhp, which is then paired with two electric motors modified from the i3's units to make it four-wheel drive.

One 201 bhp electric motor is mounted in the front, where the automatic gearbox is usually located, and the other 268 bhp electric motor sits in the rear axle assembly.

The total output comes to at least 670 bhp, with over 1,000Nm torque (737 lb-ft). *If* it made production in this form, this would be the most powerful BMW production powertrain ever!

As for range - a 20kWh lithium-ion battery provided an all-electric range of 62 miles in the 5 Series GT prototype (a very heavy model). A 370-mile total range was claimed.

The Power eDrive system is intended to power models from the 5 Series and up, in the coming years.

P.S. there's expected to be two G30 5 Series eDrive models offered, a standard configuration and a performance "Power" eDrive model.

Follow G30 5 Series news @ http://www.bimmerpost.com/5-series/g30/

G30 5 Series eDrive (G30) prototype

Appreciate 2
      06-04-2015, 01:02 PM   #2
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

I would think that would cause too much cannibalization within BMW's line. Because this person would also be cross shopping it against a 550i, an M5, and the standard hybrid.

And then there is the problem of how they would price it. Would they price it higher than the M5? I don't really see them doing that, but at the same time I don't see them selling a more powerful car thats cheaper than a M5.

Personally, I think a more likely outcome (if they even make a power e-drive 5er) is that either it will fit in between a 550i and the M5. Or this will be a replacement for the 550i's V8 (like how Volvo replaced the V8 in the new XC90).

Can we confirm that there will even be a 550i (or what ever they call the non-M5 V8) in the next 5-Series?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 01:06 PM   #3
3M TAPE
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3

Not going to happen
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2015, 01:14 PM   #4
Daveop
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacMeal
Not going to happen
Sounds like it is going to happen. Last line of the article says that there'll be a standard eDrive and a more powerful eDrive model.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 01:20 PM   #5
US///M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1973 Jensen Interceptor

That total output is amazing!
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2015, 01:24 PM   #6
palpatine_us
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i

Tesla has proven that an electric 4-door supercar sells-

If this performance edition comes in at about M5 prices- could be the alternative AWD M5, instead of an x-drive system attached to the next M5.

The mild hybrid would price against the 550, but probably put up 35-40 mpg- so no real cross-shopping.
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2015, 01:43 PM   #7
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

My god, those figures are incredible.

Hope to see it happen
      06-04-2015, 02:23 PM   #8
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Power eDrive has been developed in three configurations.
The base , the mid level and the top of the range which features the drivetrain from the 5er GT Prototype which developed 670PS.

The 5er in the pictures uses the mid-level application as does other forthcoming BMWs.
But the M Division have tweaked this particular configuration to represent 560 PS in the CSL Hommage. Its in its infancy but it showcases an exciting new and innovative direction from the company.
      06-04-2015, 02:29 PM   #9
Pentium
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
The total figure is great but no Thank you!

I prefer the RWD M5
      06-04-2015, 02:32 PM   #10
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26
The base , the mid level and the top of the range which features the drivetrain from the 5er GT Prototype which developed 670PS.

The 5er in the pictures uses the mid-level application as does other forthcoming BMWs.
But the M Division have tweaked this particular configuration to represent 560 PS in the CSL Hommage. Its in its infancy but it showcases an exciting new and innovative direction from the company.
Great stuff. I look forward to a full electric car in about 3-5 years...
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 02:38 PM   #11
smorrissey
Rep
Drives: 2014 i3, 2013 X3, 1969 1600-02

Your mileage may vary

If I'm getting a max of 85 miles in my i3 with only 1 165hp motor and a 22 kWh battery, how can this get 62 miles of range with 2 larger motors? Downhill only, I'm guessing...
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2015, 02:44 PM   #12
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Would be nice to see, but I'm not too sure if it'll happen either.
      06-04-2015, 03:02 PM   #13
k.monsma
Rep
Drives: X3 20D XDRIVE

Hallo Everybody,

Isn't the exhaust a little to big for a R4 inline gasoline engine.
Is fills the complete backend of the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 03:24 PM   #14
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 04:20 PM   #15
SF_Ludwig
Germany
Rep
Drives: E82 N52 + E86 S54

Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz5Gw4E_Ijg

So judging by the Sound, the mid-level application will feature an I6. When one listens to the startup of the 3.0 CSL Hommage it sounds just like a really loud N55, possibly B58.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 04:55 PM   #16
conradb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 (ZCP/DCT/ZCV)

More like it might put out ~470BHP total on the highest end 5er. Who are you kidding with ridiculous 670HP figures on a non-M car? Even if the config is as you say, there would be no way BMW would have it so you could tap both the ICE and electric motors at the same time for that ridiculous output figure. If anything, it would be an all electric car when you want, and a hybrid drivetrain otherwise for a tad more performance.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 05:33 PM   #17
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by conradb View Post
More like it might put out ~470BHP total on the highest end 5er. Who are you kidding with ridiculous 670HP figures on a non-M car? Even if the config is as you say, there would be no way BMW would have it so you could tap both the ICE and electric motors at the same time for that ridiculous output figure. If anything, it would be an all electric car when you want, and a hybrid drivetrain otherwise for a tad more performance.

BMW focused on developing their new Power eDrive plug-in hybrid system
BMW 5-Series GT with eDrive and TwinPower Turbo technology

Would be used on medium and large vehicles
BMW has used the Vienna Motor Symposium to announce they're focused on developing their new Power eDrive plug-in hybrid system for medium and large vehicles.

Described as the "next stage of development," the plug-in hybrid system features two electric motors and a combustion engine. The system was originally previewed last year on a 5-Series GT prototype which had an electric-only range of up to 100 km (62 miles) and a combined maximum output in excess of 680 PS (500 kW) and 1,015 Nm (750 lb-ft) of torque.

While BMW was coy on specifics, they hinted the powertrain would give production models an overall range of approximately 600 km (310 miles) which "guarantees a long-distance capability that is also adequate for large vehicles." The company also pointed out that nearly 80 percent of average commutes would be covered in all-electric mode.

Power eDrive plus TwinPower Turbo technology – the future of plug-in hybrid drive.

The overall efficiency of a plug-in hybrid vehicle is closely related to its all- electric driving range. The ongoing development and refinement of hybrid drive systems under the Efficient Dynamics programme is geared in particular to maximising the amount of time the vehicle spends in electric mode. In order to ensure that this shift to increased electric operation goes hand in hand with typical BMW dynamic performance, unimpaired everyday practicality and maximum long-distance capability, the BMW Group is developing a new generation of “highly electrified” hybrid concept models.

Highlights of the future models’ Power eDrive technology will include significantly higher-powered electric motors and batteries with twice the capacity of present versions. With this technology, the BMW Group is embarking on the next stage in powertrain electrification. The development of high-performance Power eDrive electric drive technology is aimed at increasing both the overall efficiency and the dynamism of future hybrid vehicles. Increasing focus will be placed on all-electric operation – i.e. operation with zero tailpipe emissions. Power eDrive technology for plug-in hybrid application will be a natural choice for use in upmarket vehicle segments too, where it will offer unrestricted everyday practicality plus good long-distance capability.

In these plug-in hybrid vehicles of the future, the Power eDrive electric drive system will contribute approximately two thirds of the vehicle’s combined output, with the TwinPower Turbo internal combustion engine accounting for the remaining third. The drive components used in these future hybrid systems will offer combined outputs in excess of 500 kW, while the capacity of the lithium-ion batteries – up to 20 kilowatt hours – will likewise be greatly in excess of current hybrid systems.

Zero local emissions in everyday operation, instant accelerating power, superior long-distance comfort.These advances, coupled with an increased all-electric driving range of up to 100 kilometres (62 miles), will make it possible to operate in locally emission- free all-electric mode on virtually all day-to-day trips. The role of the internal combustion engine within this concept will be a supporting one that takes various forms. For example the engine can provide a boost function when extra-dynamic acceleration is required, and it can also serve to increase the overall driving range to levels typical of a conventionally powered vehicle.

At the same time, the performance of these future hybrid models will be on a par with that of a conventionally powered sports car. To add to the excitement the new, higher-powered motors will offer a further increase in the low-end responsiveness that has always been the hallmark of electric drive.

Flexible concept for typical BMW driving pleasure.

On future plug-in hybrid concepts the electric motor, which will be the main source of power for everyday driving, will continue to drive the rear wheels, while the addition of a second electric motor driving the front wheels will create an all-electric road-coupled all-wheel-drive system. At the same time, an internal combustion engine will also supply power to the front axle.

With its development work in the field of eDrive technology, the BMW Group is positioning itself to field the broadest possible range of high-overall- efficiency vehicle concepts. While the BMW i3 is the ideal solution for urban and suburban mobility, future plug-in hybrid drive systems will allow fuel consumption and emissions to be steadily reduced in long-distance operation as well. In other words, it will be possible to deliver a typical BMW driving experience across a whole range of scenarios, including zero-local-emission everyday driving, long-distance trips and sporty, dynamic driving situations.
      06-04-2015, 05:36 PM   #18
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_Ludwig View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz5Gw4E_Ijg

So judging by the Sound, the mid-level application will feature an I6. When one listens to the startup of the 3.0 CSL Hommage it sounds just like a really loud N55, possibly B58.
There is a four cylinder and two versions of the six cylinder with Power eDrive and BMW twin Turbo.
      06-04-2015, 07:02 PM   #19
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Like it or hate it, this is the future of car making. Personally I'm very excited about this technology and for the future of automobiles.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 07:25 PM   #20
ssstraub
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 i3 REx

The more high performance electric cars the merrier!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 09:52 PM   #21
8600RPM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

will this eliminate lag?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 11:43 PM   #22
imserious
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 MR

Quote:
Zero local emissions in everyday operation, instant accelerating power, superior long-distance comfort.These advances, coupled with an increased all-electric driving range of up to 100 kilometres (62 miles), will make it possible to operate in locally emission- free all-electric mode on virtually all day-to-day trips. The role of the internal combustion engine within this concept will be a supporting one that takes various forms. For example the engine can provide a boost function when extra-dynamic acceleration is required, and it can also serve to increase the overall driving range to levels typical of a conventionally powered vehicle.
Like it or not this makes a lot of sense. Now if BMW can keep the driving dynamics in clear view or at least develop a few purist niche cars in their lineup, I think they can keep the BMW-ness alive through this automotive evolution.
Appreciate 0