BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing Potential Trunk Water Damage

10-17-2022, 10:48 AM   #1
Runnerup66
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i xDrive

Exclamation Potential Trunk Water Damage

Cursing myself out as I write this. I had a gallon water jug fully filled that I take to work and I always put it in the trunk.

I get to work and apparently I did not screw the lid tight enough so all the water in the jug is soaked into the trunk.

I immediately reacted by lowering down my rear seats and cracking the windows but it is currently in the high 30s in Fahrenheit where I’m at so I doubt anything would air out.

My model does not have a spare tire option but I was wondering is there a potential water damage I should be expecting or am I just posting for nothing?

Current plan is to go to the store after work, buy a cheap hair dryer and start air drying once I get back home to the garage.

No errors or messages came up on the iDrive while I was driving to work this morning.

Any advice or am I just making this a big deal out of nothing? Idk if there are electricals underneath the trunk carpet area. I assume so because all modern cars, especially BMWs, have more electoral things going on. I will do a full inspection once I get home.

Model: 2019 540i xDrive

Last edited by Runnerup66; 10-17-2022 at 11:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 11:01 AM   #2
2022M550i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550i, 2015 Viper

Have no fear…. Look for a product like this. You hang them in your car or wherever and they absorb a massive amount of humidity.

My son left his sunroof open and it down poured. He hung a couple of these things in his car and they absorbed a massive amount of water

Do your best absorb as much water as possible, then hang these suckers up

CANAGER Hanging Moisture Absorber,Hanging Dehumidifier Bags for Closet,Bedroom and Kitchen,Fragrance Free-5 Packs,Moisture Absorb 12.5OZ https://a.co/d/bUokIzP
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 04:52 PM   #3
Runnerup66
Rep

Should I be concerned about the water though? I literally filled up my gallon water bottle and I have no idea where a gallon of water just “disappeared” in my trunk. I was expecting it to be really soaked after work today and I was surprised it really wasn’t.

I don’t think there would be a hidden drain plug that poured all that water out correct?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 06:08 PM   #4
2022M550i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550i, 2015 Viper

I would look where the battery is. Underneath the trunk floor. You can find a bunch of videos on YouTube how to access the battery in these cars. You have to remove the rear panel and the floor panel comes up. I bet that's where the water is hiding. You need to clean that up…or check to make sure there isnt a gallon if water laying in there. The most concern I would have would it Start smelling like a swamp after a while. That's something you definitely don't want.

It goes something like this….Just find one for the G30

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 08:59 PM   #5
Runnerup66
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2022M550i View Post
I would look where the battery is. Underneath the trunk floor. You can find a bunch of videos on YouTube how to access the battery in these cars. You have to remove the rear panel and the floor panel comes up. I bet that's where the water is hiding. You need to clean that up…or check to make sure there isnt a gallon if water laying in there. The most concern I would have would it Start smelling like a swamp after a while. That's something you definitely don't want.

It goes something like this….Just find one for the G30

It seems like there’s no puddle but there are some very little wet spots near the batteries so I assume they fell through the bottom but I’m unsure where they would go entirely. No puddle at all though. I still think a gallon of water has to be somewhere unless if someone here with experience can tell me otherwise. The only thing I can think of is it soaking into the sound deadeners.
Appreciate 0