BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding iDrive - mute & phone question

05-22-2018, 03:11 AM   #1
abu el banat
Rep
Drives: A6

iDrive - mute & phone question

Hi - currently driving a G31 hire vehicle while awaiting delivery of a new G30 (see sandstorm thread elsewhere)...

Couple of questions/frustrations...

Is there no mute button easily accessible? Nothing on the steering wheel which I find odd?

More frustratingly - the option to mute the microphone while on a call seems only to be achievable via the central control knob, and even then it requires 2 movements of it? The amount of time I spend on conf calls in the car where I want to be able to mute unless I'm speaking means the loss of this functionality seems an odd omission. The A6 shows the options to end call, hold call or mute call all via the scroll button on the steering wheel which means it's literally at your fingertips and therefore very handy.

I've only had the G31 for a week..... Have I missed a function or is it as described above.

Might seem like a moan..... but it's the little things.....
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 06:00 AM   #2
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Pretty sure you can mute the audio by holding down the volume button on steering wheel.

As for muting calls, I have Apple CarPlay. So I simply use the touch screen or move the iDrive controller to mute button. Either way, it's just one press.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 08:16 AM   #3
abu el banat
Rep
Drives: A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS-UK View Post
Pretty sure you can mute the audio by holding down the volume button on steering wheel.

As for muting calls, I have Apple CarPlay. So I simply use the touch screen or move the iDrive controller to mute button. Either way, it's just one press.
Yes you're right, having looked again it is only one press, but of the central controller rather than via the steering wheel. Really poor design in my opinion.

Long press of the volume buttons on the wheel just turn vol up or down, so no option to mute via the steering wheel at all.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 08:43 AM   #4
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by abu el banat View Post
Yes you're right, having looked again it is only one press, but of the central controller rather than via the steering wheel. Really poor design in my opinion.

Long press of the volume buttons on the wheel just turn vol up or down, so no option to mute via the steering wheel at all.
Never seen a BMW that offers mute capability from the steering wheel.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0