BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos 2010 Camaros hit thestreets in owner's hands!

04-19-2009, 04:42 PM   #45
armenh
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i

how would that enforce the BMW stereotype...no one even knows what car you are driving...and during that time i didnt own my bimmer haha
      04-19-2009, 04:44 PM   #46
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
You may see 335/135's @ Avis before you see a new Camaro. They will sell out everything that hit the lot's for some time.
I see 328s at Hertz. The camaro is more of an enthusiast car than 3er. Sorry to say but the forums dont represent the reality. The fact is that most 3er owner are (new rich) or stretch their budget from camry-accord and have no clue of what their driving. Tons of E90 323s with 16 inch rims are riding selling in Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 04:07 AM   #47
335ifanatic
Major
Rep
Drives: Revuelto, Urus Performante, X5

No doubt you'll see tons of Camaros on the road but it's one car I wouldn't mind seeing over and over again, it's bloody hot.

I would be all over this car if GMAC still offered leasing because you would be nuts to pay cash for this car. The SS' will be worth half it's value in a years time.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 08:58 AM   #48
ChrisV
7er
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1998 BMW 740iL

Garage List
1998 740iL  [6.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by armenh View Post
how would that enforce the BMW stereotype...no one even knows what car you are driving...and during that time i didnt own my bimmer haha
It reinforces the dash stroking, thinks-they-are-entitled-to-a-luxury-car attitude that says that everything that isn't a super exotic with a high price tag is crap.

The Camaro's interior is desighed to be reminicsent of the '60s version, but with modern touches and detailing, much like the Mustang went after. I think it looks fine, and everyting falls to hand properly. And I don't find it any harder to see out of than a lot of vehicles I've driven over the years, including race cars. Musclecar interiors were and are about a place to put the gauges and seats and keep the weather off. That's about it. Cheap platics? Vs expensive plastic like in the BMWs? Why care how much the plastics cost? The dash in my 7 series is plastic, too. And you know what? In the two+ years I've owned the car, I've never sat and stroked the dash (wiped it down with a California Duster a few times, but never stroked it lovingly, like some of you apparently do).

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 09:03 AM   #49
Jet335i
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 F96 X6MC, '11 E92 M3

man that interior looks like crap...too bad the outside is so nice!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 09:33 AM   #50
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep
Drives: roach coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by armenh View Post
I mean within this forum even. What's the point in telling everybody here that you acted like some elitist snob by just walking away from somebody trying to show you a car that you showed interest in? Why not just say you don't like the interior?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 09:36 AM   #51
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

I'm sick to death of hearing the BS about the interiors in these cars. GM is giving you 425Hp for $32k, and you guys expect it to also have an Audi interior? The car delivers about as much performance as you're going to get for that kind of money. Sure they could have used more expensive materials on the interior...and jacked the price up beyond their target demographic, or cut corners in the powertrain.

If I hadn't bought a 135i a year ago, I'd be on the list to buy one of these now. Nice work GM.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 09:38 AM   #52
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV View Post
It reinforces the dash stroking, thinks-they-are-entitled-to-a-luxury-car attitude that says that everything that isn't a super exotic with a high price tag is crap.

The Camaro's interior is desighed to be reminicsent of the '60s version, but with modern touches and detailing, much like the Mustang went after. I think it looks fine, and everyting falls to hand properly. And I don't find it any harder to see out of than a lot of vehicles I've driven over the years, including race cars. Musclecar interiors were and are about a place to put the gauges and seats and keep the weather off. That's about it. Cheap platics? Vs expensive plastic like in the BMWs? Why care how much the plastics cost? The dash in my 7 series is plastic, too. And you know what? In the two+ years I've owned the car, I've never sat and stroked the dash (wiped it down with a California Duster a few times, but never stroked it lovingly, like some of you apparently do).
I agree.

I don't think most of these people on this forum have ever even sat in the interior of a true muscle car. After owning a '68 GTO, I'm able to appreciate what a muscle car type of interior layout is supposed to be. You wanna talk about cheap plastics? For chrissake my glove box was made out of cardboard and just stuck behind the dash, which I have to admit might have been made of the cheapest plastic ever.

If you need nav and plastics that feel great when you rub them down, maybe this isn't the car for you. But I don't think the interior is that bad myself. And anyone with a 1er that wants to knock the interior of this car... Well... The only thing I can say about that is that you honestly have no clue what you're talking about. And it's not like the 3er interior is even that much better than the 1.

Also, the CTS-V's interior is damn good. One of the best on the market right now.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 09:38 AM   #53
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_ducky View Post
I mean within this forum even. What's the point in telling everybody here that you acted like some elitist snob by just walking away from somebody trying to show you a car that you showed interest in? Why not just say you don't like the interior?
I wouldn't call it snobbery. Rude yes.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 09:42 AM   #54
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep

For everybody that can only focus on the interior, keep in mind that the MSRP for a base SS is $31k and it has an LSD, brembo brakes and 426hp motor that'll no-doubt have a TON of inexpensive aftermarket support. The interior isn't great, but it's not a let-down at this price-point given everything else you get for the money.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 10:16 AM   #55
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

Quote:
For everybody that can only focus on the interior, keep in mind that the MSRP for a base SS is $31k and it has an LSD, brembo brakes and 426hp motor that'll no-doubt have a TON of inexpensive aftermarket support. The interior isn't great, but it's not a let-down at this price-point given everything else you get for the money.
Agreed, I think people here with BMW's( especially the teens as their first car) are expecting too much out of a $22K vehicle( the base Camaro). A Camaro, Mustang, Camry, Malibu, etc are not going to have the same quality interior as a BMW, Audi, Benz, etc. Why? BECAUSE THEY ARE CHEAPER! The Malibu interior is a nice interior that uses good materials for the market it competes in( I have the twin, the Saturn Aura and worked at a Chevy dealer when the new Malibu came out). Proof is MrRoboto saying it was better then the Camry interior. Well since Malibu goes against Camry, wouldn't you say the domestics can design an interior if it beat out one of the two standard mid-size cars( other is Accord which I say is about equal with Malibu) in the segment?

Your full of bias if you are taking your BMW and comparing the interior to a Chevy or Toyota and saying the latter is crap because the BMW interior is nice.....
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 10:37 AM   #56
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
Agreed, I think people here with BMW's( especially the teens as their first car) are expecting too much out of a $22K vehicle( the base Camaro). A Camaro, Mustang, Camry, Malibu, etc are not going to have the same quality interior as a BMW, Audi, Benz, etc. Why? BECAUSE THEY ARE CHEAPER! The Malibu interior is a nice interior that uses good materials for the market it competes in( I have the twin, the Saturn Aura and worked at a Chevy dealer when the new Malibu came out). Proof is MrRoboto saying it was better then the Camry interior. Well since Malibu goes against Camry, wouldn't you say the domestics can design an interior if it beat out one of the two standard mid-size cars( other is Accord which I say is about equal with Malibu) in the segment?

Your full of bias if you are taking your BMW and comparing the interior to a Chevy or Toyota and saying the latter is crap because the BMW interior is nice.....
It is? The leather on my 335 reminded me of some old boots I had when I was still riding bulls.

I laugh when I see the "NO NAV" comments too.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 10:39 AM   #57
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

Quote:
It is? The leather on my 335 reminded me of some old boots I had when I was still riding bulls.
Certainly is better then my Aura's! Though the CTS's is better.

Which brings up another point, how can we trash domestics about their interiors when BMW is not known for making good interiors within its own segment?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 10:45 AM   #58
lyndon_h
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:

I laugh when I see the "NO NAV" comments too.
Thats funny that it reminds you of boots you had when you were riding bulls. I always say my seats were made out of Bull leather. This leather is of the worse quality i have seen in a "luxury" vehicle. Actually, i dont know if i would be able to find a poorer leather in any current car costing 45k.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 10:54 AM   #59
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

This is water buffalo. Very tough hide. My boots were water buffalo. I am not trying to slam the leather used but it sure looks a lot like this. Not soft at all either. I never thought twice about my dog being able to scratch it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 11:09 AM   #60
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndon_h View Post
Thats funny that it reminds you of boots you had when you were riding bulls. I always say my seats were made out of Bull leather. This leather is of the worse quality i have seen in a "luxury" vehicle. Actually, i dont know if i would be able to find a poorer leather in any current car costing 45k.
Exactly. I can almost see my driver's seat's door side bolster deteriorating a little more every time I enter/exit my car.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 11:22 AM   #61
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Exactly. I can almost see my driver's seat's door side bolster deteriorating a little more every time I enter/exit my car.

That's my only real issue with my 135i right now. It's a year old, and the driver's side bolster is cracking. The seats in my GTO weren't as soft as these, but they held you in place nicely, and still looked like new when I sold it with 70k miles on it.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 11:26 AM   #62
Crowley
Major
Rep
Drives:

Can't wait to get mine ... I'm not going to miss the 135i one bit .. lol ..

Crowley

The last words on the powerplant should go to a clearly overwhelmed Hormazd Sorabjee, editor and publisher of Autocar India: “There is something simply magical about BMW’s in-line six. It has a creamy smoothness that makes velvet feel like sandpaper.”
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 11:53 AM   #63
11Past9
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: A stolen one

He's a recruiter
gentle now the tender breeze blows, whispers through my Gran Torino, whistling another tired song, engine humms and bitter dreams grow, heart locked in a Gran Torino, it beats a lonely rhythm all night long
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 12:14 PM   #64
flyinb501
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i

I agree with the interior comments. It looked pretty bad in the pictures, but when I actually sat in one at the auto show it was even worse than the pictures. Reminded me of an old cavalier or somethin. Really is a shame too because the rest of the car is awesome and seems like such a good value. I just don't think I could live with that interior. Also, I thought the fake vents in front of the rear wheels were pretty lame too.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 01:48 PM   #65
ChrisV
7er
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1998 BMW 740iL

Garage List
1998 740iL  [6.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinb501 View Post
I agree with the interior comments. It looked pretty bad in the pictures, but when I actually sat in one at the auto show it was even worse than the pictures. Reminded me of an old cavalier or somethin.
And old Cavalier? The styling looks nothing like any Cavalier, and is reminiscent of the '60s Camaros, but with modern details.

Quote:
I just don't think I could live with that interior.
Probably feel the pea beneath 10 matresses, too, doncha?

Quote:
Also, I thought the fake vents in front of the rear wheels were pretty lame too.
Again, the styling is an amalgam of the '60s camaros with modern detaling. Those scoops (like the grille and roofline) are cribbed from the '69:

Of course, the interior is cribbed from the originals, too, with the gauge cluster ahead of the shifter:

Only two cars on the market right now have a true retro interior, the Mustang and this. And the interiors fit the mission and the genre perfectly.

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 02:15 PM   #66
Plan B
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 997S / 2007 CaymanS

Quote:
Agreed. Life is a compromise. Sometimes you give a little to get a little, and anytime you can get a performance car with 400+ hp for $30k's...you're doing pretty good.

For the record, I've been a Porsche guy for the last 10+ years, though I have never been impressed with their technology packages. The Nav in my 997 is laughable...but that has never bothered me.

Until I drive one and lead me to think otherwise, I'd say Chevy did a good job.

2008 Porsche 911 S 6MT [GT Silver/Cocoa extended leather/sport chrono/loaded]
2007 Porsche Cayman S 6MT [Black/Black extended leather/typical options] Daily Driver
Appreciate 0