BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos So I considerd picking up a C6 vette....

07-10-2009, 02:45 PM   #89
roozie2001
Just some guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 White 335i sedan

well the main thing about the e9x is the fuel pump. but thats not so much a reliability issue as it is a design flaw. Eventually im sure that when a new design comes out then if a pump fails the new pump will be installed and thats the end of that. As far as turbo failure goes thats just people pushing the limits further than theyre suppose to
      07-10-2009, 02:48 PM   #90
NewSong
Just another jerk in a hat...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Ford Focus

You have a PM roozie.

And he hath put a new song in my mouth.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 02:49 PM   #91
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by roozie2001 View Post
well the main thing about the e9x is the fuel pump. but thats not so much a reliability issue as it is a design flaw. Eventually im sure that when a new design comes out then if a pump fails the new pump will be installed and thats the end of that. As far as turbo failure goes thats just people pushing the limits further than theyre suppose to
There is no new design. There would have to be an aftermarket provider for any hope in that arena whatsoever.

BMW has moved on, not to a new design of the existing pump, but a new generation that, more likely than not, will not be backwards compatible.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 02:53 PM   #92
NewSong
United_States
Rep

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
There is no new design. There would have to be an aftermarket provider for any hope in that arena whatsoever.

BMW has moved on, not to a new design of the existing pump, but a new generation that, more likely than not, will not be backwards compatible.
Do anyone know if the N55 has a new HPFP associated with it?

I can't find anything through google.

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 03:14 PM   #93
DrDomer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci ZHP, 1999 Miata

A Lotus Elise is as fragile as they come and have horrible resale. Do some research before you make this mistake. I've talked to many former Lotus owners who regret their decisions on buying their Elise or Exige.

One guy is an instructor for track days and is working his way through racing school. He now has a 2004 Acura NSX (that he doesn't track).

The other guy does track days with a track prepped M3 that can also be a weekend car.

When I look at HPDE's I've been to the number of Lotuses has dropped quite a bit over the last 3-4 years.

Just food for thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
Yup.. but then again, they're different cars... one is a 2 seater street racer car one is a 4 seater street sport car
(ok that didn't really make much sense but i think you get my point lol)

This about this:
the Lotus, with it's little toyota engine, will out handle anything mentioned here.
Ever driven on?
They're amazing... the car...is an extension of you... it goes EXACTLY where you want it to go...
I'd love one if I fit in it comfortably lol

I plan on getting on in the future as a weekend car... lotuses... amazing cars.
but then again, the Vette is also an amazing car, so is the Camaro, and teh 335i, and the 328, and the M3, and all of them

I'd be happy to afford anything that can get me to point B, but since I'm lucky enough to afford a $60k+ car, I have nothing to complain about.
And I dont think anyone else does either
      07-10-2009, 03:14 PM   #94
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

This is great, that there are at least a few level headed members! I have been contemplating purchasing a used z06 or an ls3 z51 for the past month until I drove them. They are fast and scary if not a alittle unforgiving for my driving style. A bargain if this is what your looking for, but I realised although my car may never beat it on a straight even w/ nitrous or keep up with it on the tracks my M roadster is what still fits me for now. I have alot of respect who can drive those beasts to the limit!

Who knows what car is in my future but at least I'm open! I went from my 300c srt8(that car can't turn!) to a 997 to my current e85M. Shoot I purchased my wife a 328i last month after having our hearts set on a 335d and then the 335i. It just fit her better and she enjoyed driving the N/A straight six over the FI...finances were never even an issue Get what fits you and not what you want others to perceive you as

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 03:14 PM   #95
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewSong View Post
Do anyone know if the N55 has a new HPFP associated with it?

I can't find anything through google.
I was under the impression they were abandoning the mechanically cam-driven design for a purely electrical one.

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 03:21 PM   #96
NewSong
United_States
Rep

Very interesting...

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2009, 03:48 PM   #97
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Here's the Car and Driver Lightning Lap. You'll notice the Z51 C6 of 2008 is over 4 seconds faster than a 2008 M3.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...p_2008-feature

I just saw the Power Lap of the new Mercedes SL65 Black and it was slower than the Z06.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2009, 04:02 PM   #98
EmPower
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 xdrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewSong View Post
Exactly. Finally someone with some sense.

This guy is taking an automatic Vette with a torque converter and trying to make a statement about the car's performance characteristic.

As someone who has SEEN an LS2 get into the low-12's consistently, I don't know wtf this guy is talking about. Of course these cars were Manuals as ALL Vettes should be.
You can say what you want, but the interior of the vettes are just sub standard. For a car that costs 45K and up including the mighty ZR-1, the interiors are appaling. They should give the vette the king of respect it deserves by sprucing up the interiors. Look at the C1s through the sting rays.. beautifully accented inside and out. I miss that
19 Audi SQ5 (sold), 20 Audi S6 (sold),
22 Audi SQ5
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2009, 10:59 PM   #99
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmPower View Post
You can say what you want, but the interior of the vettes are just sub standard. For a car that costs 45K and up including the mighty ZR-1, the interiors are appaling. They should give the vette the king of respect it deserves by sprucing up the interiors. Look at the C1s through the sting rays.. beautifully accented inside and out. I miss that
Hopefully w/ the C7 they will address the interior issue, although I honestly don't think it's that bad. However, the price will probably go up by a substantial amount.

On the same token, I think for 50K the interior of my car doesn't really live up to the price tag.
      07-17-2009, 10:03 PM   #100
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmPower View Post
Yes, you're right, the interior materials aren't the best. You can upgrade the interior if you choose in the aftermarket. GM spent the money where it counted - it's fast as hell from the factory. There isn't a $45K BMW with a nice interior that'll even come close to keeping up with the Vette.

I've owned a 2006 Z06 and the second you hit the throttle you'll never even notice the interior.
Appreciate 0