BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos HOLY S*@# Balls Travis Pastrana in the new Gymkhana 2020

12-09-2020, 02:05 PM   #23
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Did you really think they had a couple of hundred cameras lined up as one take? Didn't see all the existing tire marks?

There is a series on Amazon that shows the behind scenes for Ken Blocks last one.

The Gymkhana Files. Pretty cool show.
The amount of cameras isnt difficult, especially with the money behind it and the sponsors. Race events have cameras everywhere and record live without issue, so the production behind that isn't far reaching.

Obviously they arent going to make one pass and thats it, and you'll see tire marks from practice runs. It just takes away from the wow factor for me knowing its not one run that he was able to practice each section and then tie them all together with one solid pass. Hell, a lot of people could piece together a solid run if they took the best from each section and just edited them all together.

I'll have to check out the Gymkhana Files.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 02:24 PM   #24
happyjack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
I saw it live at downtown Annapolis, was a pretty cool experience. Missed the jump as that was early in the morning but watched the drifts around the circle and other cool tricks.

So many people who were just in the area either walking or shopping stopped and watched as the crowds grew larger. So many people had no idea what was happening but stayed to see the event.
unfortunately i was in the middle of a huge RFQ response...so i couldnt get down there and had to be content with having my windows open and hearing him rip around town.

one of the reasons for multiple runs on the jump over the harbor was to get the timing on the boat passing directly under the car mid-flight.

the video doesnt really give you an appreciation for how tight that landing area is. i thought there was a serious risk of him ending up in the bar area of the restaurant that was less than 25 yards from the end of the ramp. seeing him land and immediately begin drifting to make the turn off the end of the ramp is just insane.

my garage: '23 G05 xDrive40i m-sport; '21 F87 M2C, 6MT; '17 F25 x-drive28i SAV; '15 F55 mini hatch 5-door
retired: '87 E30 MT 'vert; '92 E36 sedan; '99 E36 MT 'vert; '06 E90 x-drive sedan; '07 E83 x-drive30 SAV; '09 E91 x-drive wagon; '12 E89 Z4 MT M-sport; '15 F22 sport line

Last edited by happyjack; 12-09-2020 at 02:32 PM..
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25083.00
      12-09-2020, 03:10 PM   #25
bngcruiser
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '89 Land Cruiser, '18 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2one8 View Post
Quote:
Did you really think they had a couple of hundred cameras lined up as one take? Didn't see all the existing tire marks?

There is a series on Amazon that shows the behind scenes for Ken Blocks last one.

The Gymkhana Files. Pretty cool show.
The amount of cameras isnt difficult, especially with the money behind it and the sponsors. Race events have cameras everywhere and record live without issue, so the production behind that isn't far reaching.

Obviously they arent going to make one pass and thats it, and you'll see tire marks from practice runs. It just takes away from the wow factor for me knowing its not one run that he was able to practice each section and then tie them all together with one solid pass. Hell, a lot of people could piece together a solid run if they took the best from each section and just edited them all together.

I'll have to check out the Gymkhana Files.
Not sure any of us on these forums could drive that Subaru like Pastrana can.

Professionals are always leaps and bounds ahead of amateurs. Whether it be on the golf course, the pool, or a race track.

It would be quite dangerous to have the expectation that Pastrana could do it once full throttle without practice.

I'm kind of disappointed how members of a race driven car brand don't understand how difficult the driving is in the video.
      12-09-2020, 03:35 PM   #26
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Super cool to see Pastrana and Hoonigan team up, I love it!

Few things cough my attention though:
1) Pastrana seems to have that resting 'Oh SHIT face
2) The new BRZ was slow AF
3) When the 5'oh clock me at 144 I stay on it too. Also Speed Limit 25, LOL
4) When the wife calls, I don't care who you are, you better get home
2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2020, 02:15 PM   #27
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
Super cool to see Pastrana and Hoonigan team up, I love it!

Few things cough my attention though:
1) Pastrana seems to have that resting 'Oh SHIT face
2) The new BRZ was slow AF
3) When the 5'oh clock me at 144 I stay on it too. Also Speed Limit 25, LOL
4) When the wife calls, I don't care who you are, you better get home
Apparently the road he did the jump on was where he crashed his Corvette years ago and ended up paralyzing his friend who was trapped in the wreckage.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 08:10 PM   #28
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bngcruiser View Post
Not sure any of us on these forums could drive that Subaru like Pastrana can.

Professionals are always leaps and bounds ahead of amateurs. Whether it be on the golf course, the pool, or a race track.

It would be quite dangerous to have the expectation that Pastrana could do it once full throttle without practice.

I'm kind of disappointed how members of a race driven car brand don't understand how difficult the driving is in the video.
800+ HP and 600+ torque in a hollowed out shell with a race sequential shift transmission running AWD with a hoonigan rear brake and someone else paying the bills if you ball it up.

Good work if you can get it.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2020, 11:09 PM   #29
HXS
Licensed Drug Dealer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Huevos grandes!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 11:32 PM   #30
bigrum
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Apparently the road he did the jump on was where he crashed his Corvette years ago and ended up paralyzing his friend who was trapped in the wreckage.
Shit that adds a new wrinkle to the brevity if that is the case.
Appreciate 0