BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Ambient lights dashboard problem

10-28-2022, 08:51 AM   #67
Yaboy713
Rep
Drives: BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullBolton View Post
Thanks for this. I did mine last night and now you can see the light at each end. I will redo it this week end, but will use my polisher on my drimel.
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2022, 10:01 AM   #68
Mosaud1998
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540

Garage List
2019 BMW 540  [0.00]
Am I retarded? I can't tell if my abient lighting is bad or not? My car is out of factory warranty on March 8th, 2023. I made an appointment with my local BMW dealership for March 1st to have them do an inspection of a few things before the warranty expires.
      11-01-2022, 06:19 AM   #69
EZname
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullBolton View Post
I didn't get it.. The tube was dimmed because of the dust?? What is the point of polishing??
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 08:49 AM   #70
Yaboy713
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZname View Post
I didn't get it.. The tube was dimmed because of the dust?? What is the point of polishing??
It's just like when headlights gets faded and dull. The compound takes the film off and makes it look like new.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2022, 03:42 PM   #71
murat-315
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 540i 2017

I had the same issue. I followed this video and now it works great. Just a tip clean the plastic it sits in as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2022, 10:58 AM   #72
Yaboy713
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by murat-315 View Post
I had the same issue. I followed this video and now it works great. Just a tip clean the plastic it sits in as well.
Yes it does. I just didn't do the part that it sits in. I'll do that next.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 09:21 PM   #73
Sam_M550i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i

What about front doors, I noticed towards back of door the tubes are thinner and light is not as strong.
      07-06-2023, 01:26 PM   #74
jiggyboiswagg
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M550i

Garage List
2022 M550i  [0.00]
rswitch Mosaud1998

Reviving this thread bc I noticed something similar but cant tell if its a problem and I am just being OCD af. Is this what you guys are talking about?

I just noticed it on my 22 M550 (new) but idk if it's normal and like this from factory. There are what looks like some faint brighter spots on the dash but I am not sure if the clips holding the LED strips cause the light to reflect off the dash that way.

Any input is appreciated.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2023, 10:04 PM   #75
tjbuggy2b
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i xDrive M Sport

My expense is your knowledge.

Ok, so I tried this polishing fix with the Turtle Wax Headlight Lens Restorer kit. It didn't really work. However, during the process I realized the back side of the tube has a texture to it. Thinking that textrue was interfering with the light, I commenced to polishing it down to shiny (just in the portion of the tube that wasn't working) with the 4 step polishing pads in the kit. It made a small difference but the second half of the tube was still dimmer than the first half.

In the middle of this, I broke one of the tubes. So, I started experimenting with the other tube, since I was going to have to buy whole stupid trim piece, now.

I realized (by hooking up the dash and plugging in the good light tube to the dash without snapping it in) that by placing my hand behind the light while it was on I could see that the light was brightest where the texture was.

That's when I realized that the texture on the back of the tube is probably there on purpose, to deflect the light toward the front of the tube. So, I took some super rough (like 80 grit) sand paper and VERY lightly scratched the back of the tube perpendicular to the length of the tube. This actually helped a lot but it takes a lot of fine tuning. You have to start with fewer scratches at the light end of the tube and gradually increase the scratch density toward the non-lit end.

I got bored with it because I'm going to have to buy the whole trim piece now, anyway. So, I didn't take the time to perfect it.

So, if you have a dim tube (I feel like there is a joke in there) and are feeling brave, the following process may (emphasize MAY) work for you.

PROCESS PROVIDED AT OWNER'S OWN RISK. (Don't sue me, bro!)

TIP: You can clearly see the texture and future scratches you'll make by shining a small LED flash light down the non-lit end of the tube. With the light shining down the tube, rotate the tube until the texture/scratches are away from you. The light tube will act as a magnifying glass and you can really see the detail of your work!

Be warned. This is going to be super fiddly. So, if you don't have a lot of patience, maybe just buy a new trim piece.

1. Follow the disassembly process in the video mentioned above.
2. Reconnect the dash trim plugs back to the car without the tubes in it, but don't secure it to the dash. It'll hang there just fine. It doesn't weigh so much that it'll damage the wires.
3. Use the polishing compound and get the tube nice and shiny. Don't go to town on the back of the tube. The front is the important part.
4. Plug in the light tube, without clipping it into the dash panel.
5. Place your hand behind the tube, moving it up and down the length of it to find the dim sections.
6. Mark those places with a sharpie. It's ok, all you have to do to remove the sharpie is color over it with a dry erase pen, and wipe it off.
7. Remove the tube.
WARNING!!! GO SLOW ON THIS NEXT STEP!!! ONLY MAKE A COUPLE SCRATCHES AT A TIME, UNLESS YOU FEEL LIKE POLISHING IT ALL BACK DOWN AGAIN.
8. Between your marks apply a FEW scratches perpendicularly to the tube with some 60 or 80 grit sand paper. REMEMBER THAT YOU MOST LIKELY WANT FEWER SCRATCHES CLOSER TO THE LIGHT SO THAT THE LIGHT DOESN'T GET TOO ATTENUATED ("USED UP") BEFORE IT GETS TO THE END OF THE TUBE.
9. Repeat steps 5 - 9 until you get an even distribution of light.

I don't know if this process will make it as good as new, since I broke mine. Most likely, it'll be as good as the amount of time you're willing to put into being slow with it.

Edit: Here is the difference it made for me, just with the amount of lazy effort I put into it.

Not my car but exactly the same as I was seeing...

Ignore the right side being dark. That's the tube I broke.

Another pic in full darkness.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 06:09 PM   #76
SigmaPiFSC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW 530e

Garage List
Ok so in the spirit of tjBuggy2B's suggestion of scratching the back of the plastic tube, I tried to place a thin strip of aluminum foil with the shiney side facing the plastic. For a minute, I thought I was awesome! Until I noticed... well... nothing. no change. But how cool would that have been if a little something behind the tube would make the entire thing brighter! lol.... Of course, I didn't try the dull side of the foil. I already closed up the car, so perhaps another time.
Appreciate 1
tjbuggy2b183.00
      01-12-2024, 06:16 PM   #77
SigmaPiFSC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW 530e

Garage List
This is from Google's AI It's not to specific to BMW, but I thought, maybe, just maybe some of these tips might lead to something that helps us all? Maybe.... I'll copy / paste. If anyone tries any of these, let us know!

Google Generative AI is experimental.

Here are some ways to make fiber optic lights brighter:
Crimp the fiber
Crimp the fiber at a certain angle to make the rest of the fiber light up more.

Add a mirror
Put a small mirror at the other end of the fiber to contain the light and make the strand brighter.

Use a larger core diameter
A larger core diameter provides more power per fiber.

Cut notches
Cut small notches with an xacto knife along the strand to create a "sparkle" or "starry night" effect. The more light escapes, the dimmer the end of the strand will be.

Use side emitting fibers
Side emitting fibers are more visible in ambient light than end emitting fibers.

Use an illuminator
An illuminator, also called a fiber optic projector or fiber optic illuminator, provides illumination to any fiber optic lighting system. It contains the lamp or LED and any additional control gear to provide special lighting effects.
Appreciate 1
tjbuggy2b183.00
      02-18-2024, 11:29 AM   #78
The_Hall_Way
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550ix

I just wanted to say how much I appreciate everyone who tackled this issue previously. I had the exact same issue with the fading at the ends on the dash You could clearly see where the tubes were starting to haze-up, but just followed the video & also cleaned the channel the tubes snap into and they look better than they ever have.

Many thanks to everyone for making this an easy fix!
Attached Images

Last edited by The_Hall_Way; 02-18-2024 at 02:26 PM..
Appreciate 0