BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Android Auto

03-14-2024, 08:36 AM   #1
clejoe
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 530i

Android Auto

Hi,
I've been researching this forum regarding Android Auto availability for my 2020 530i here in the states. Appears it should be an option, but possible need to upgrade software is mentioned. I haven't found the correct steps for me to confirm a) what software version I currently have installed b) how would I go about enabling Android Auto (assuming it is indeed an option for the 2020 5 series).

Doesn't appear I have any type of remote software upgrade option, checking the 'Software Info' section in car itself only gives me a bunch of regulatory info but couldn't find anything about the core software itself and the BMW CarData report I just received doesn't appear to have anything related to the software versioning.

Have only had the vehicle for ~3 mos and my local dealer hasn't been the most impressive thus far so I wanted to be in the know before contacting them.

Greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 02:02 PM   #2
taskrov
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 530ix Sport Line

Garage List
2020 BMW 530ix  [0.00]
Android Auto on MY2020 5 series

Your car has ID7 "lite" and does not have remote Software Update (RSU). You have to get updates at the dealer. The attached matrix PDF shows that your car is compatible with Android Auto provided your software is at least 7/2020 and you have the Connected Package Professional (6C4). You can find your software version by opening the User Guide in the car and searching for the keyword IMPRINT. Right below you will see the version date. I had some trouble convincing my dealer that my car is entitled to have AA. I showed them this:

https://www.bmwblog.com/2020/06/25/d...roid-auto-bmw/

They kept the car for a week before they figured out what to do. Not only the car software has to be updated but the BMW servers have to be also configured to recognize your car. The dealer did this under warranty. If you are out of warranty, you will have to pay.

Though the matrix shows N/A for Amazon Alexa, I was able to activate Alexa. See the other two attachments.

Good luck
Attached Images
File Type: pdf ServiceAvailabilityMatrix.pdf (192.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: pdf GSG_Amazon_Alexa_Car_Integration.pdf.asset.1659110951840-1.pdf (3.81 MB, 13 views)
File Type: pdf GSG_Amazon_Alexa.pdf (1.64 MB, 7 views)
Appreciate 0