BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum DIY Discussions / Guides / Instructions Amazon Alexa in iDrive

08-27-2021, 03:39 PM   #1
jiggyboiswagg
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M550i

Garage List
2022 M550i  [0.00]
Amazon Alexa in iDrive

Hi all,
First ever post on a car forum so not 100% familiar with navigating the website and posting.

Should I create a new thread every time if I can't find a similar discussion or if the forum is outdated?

Also just bought a 2022 M550i and was trying to figure out how to open my garage with Alexa. I installed my smart receiver to my Genie garage assembly and it connects with my Echo in the house, but if I ask Alexa to open the garage from inside my BMW it does not work.

Does anyone have any experience on this?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 06:02 PM   #2
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport etc

I've been trying to fiddle with Alexa on iDrive for the longest time (and unfortunately, my car is just a couple of months too old to have that integration) - so naturally, your thread interested me.

Question for you - you have homelink/garage door integration - why not use that in the car instead of using Alexa to open your garage door?
Reason for asking - I have a Genie garage door with that wifi and sensor stuff from Aladdin that works with the Echo units, however, you need to give it a password to open the garage door with the Echo. You can close it without a pass.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 08:55 PM   #3
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggyboiswagg View Post
Hi all,
First ever post on a car forum so not 100% familiar with navigating the website and posting.

Should I create a new thread every time if I can't find a similar discussion or if the forum is outdated?

Also just bought a 2022 M550i and was trying to figure out how to open my garage with Alexa. I installed my smart receiver to my Genie garage assembly and it connects with my Echo in the house, but if I ask Alexa to open the garage from inside my BMW it does not work.

Does anyone have any experience on this?
Have you tried this? (from the Alexa app)
Attached Images

09-04-2021, 06:07 PM   #4
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yes sir. I’ve set all that up, so I can close the garage door by saying “Alexa, close the garage door” .
However, to open the garage door, after you say “Alexa, open the garage door”, it’ll ask for a password.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 01:50 PM   #5
jiggyboiswagg
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 M550i  [0.00]
So I dont actually have a smart Genie Garage Door Assembly, I made it "smart" by connecting a small receiver I bought off Amazon, hence the Aladdin app will not work

You're right I will just use homelink
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 06:44 PM   #6
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

This is what I use:
https://www.amazon.com/Genie-Company...dp/B016QB7K5O/

Works with the Aladdin app and Alexa etc. And it doesn't impact Homelink.
Only thing I can think of is you need a reasonably newish garage door opener (something that's not more than 18-20 years old)

that gives you rolling code support and it's something you want anyway instead of the old dip switches setup.

Oh one more thing, I vaguely recall something about Homelink in BMW's being compatible with newer models (past 18 years or so)

Amazon/Alexa support in the car is a white whale for me
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 03:34 PM   #7
jiggyboiswagg
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 M550i  [0.00]
Thank you so much for the help!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 01:16 PM   #8
taskrov
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 530ix Sport Line

Garage List
2020 BMW 530ix  [0.00]
I installed an Alexa compatible meross WiFi controller on my garage opener.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I tried configuring Alexa for my MY2020 530ix (3/2021 software update) so I could tell Alexa to open/close my garage, but I could not get it fully working. I can send commands from an Echo to the car but not the ether way around.

I tried my OnePlus 7T, iPhone 6S, and my wife's iPhone 12. None worked. Alexa responded but then crashed immediately. I wonder if this is a BMW bug, perhaps I can ask the dealer to install the 7/2021 update. It seems this would be warranty work.

As far as I can tell one cannot use CarPlay/Android Auto together with Alexa. You have to choose either the iDrive (for Alexa) or the CP/AA connection.

Has anyone gotten Alexa to work from the car?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 02:34 PM   #9
taskrov
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530ix  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by taskrov View Post
I installed an Alexa compatible meross WiFi controller on my garage opener.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I tried configuring Alexa for my MY2020 530ix (3/2021 software update) so I could tell Alexa to open/close my garage, but I could not get it fully working. I can send commands from an Echo to the car but not the ether way around.

I tried my OnePlus 7T, iPhone 6S, and my wife's iPhone 12. None worked. Alexa responded but then crashed immediately. I wonder if this is a BMW bug, perhaps I can ask the dealer to install the 7/2021 update. It seems this would be warranty work.

As far as I can tell one cannot use CarPlay/Android Auto together with Alexa. You have to choose either the iDrive (for Alexa) or the CP/AA connection.

Has anyone gotten Alexa to work from the car?
Update:
Took my car to the dealer for tire fix. I also mentioned to the SA that Alexa was crashing and I need the valet switch next time I come.

It turned out that when they pulled the screw from the tire, the tire was not leaking. The screw had a large head (I could hear it hitting the pavement when I drove slowly) but it was not long enough to cause a leak. I do have the tire & wheel coverage, so no new tire needed.

When I got my car back I saw that they ordered the part for the valet switch and also updated the software. At first I did not noticed anything different besides the usual resetting of some options (e.g. folding mirror) but while driving home I observed that the accelerator and brake actions must have been changed. The accelerator is now less "laggy" in the Comfort mode and the brakes needed less pressure on the pedal. It was definitely a significant and positive change. I always thought that the acceleration in Comfort mode was a bit lazy. I checked IMPRINT and sure enough it said 7/2021 software.

I addition, Alexa now works in the car. It is a pain to set it up but once it connects (all four App connection icons have to be active) it works like expected. I have not yet tried if Alexa can be active together with CarPlay/AA.

My OnePlus 7T still disconnect from AA but my Pixel 6 is arriving today and I am hopping it will not have random disconnects.

Update: Pixel 6 does not experience disconnects from AA!

Last edited by taskrov; 11-15-2021 at 09:00 AM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2021, 01:01 PM   #10
jiggyboiswagg
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 M550i  [0.00]
taskrov

Mine now works too! I also have similar smart wifi controller bought from Amazon! I realized commands from the Car to Alexa (Echo) do not work immediately upon starting the ignition. Think it has something to do with connecting to internet/wifi... not sure. But after a few minutes Alexa commands work from inside the car!!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2021, 07:57 PM   #11
taskrov
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530ix  [0.00]
Yes, I have noticed that as well. When I back up from the garage and down the driveway the cameras show the back view and I cannot call up Alexa to close the garage door so I have to resort to the phone app.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 08:19 PM   #12
MauiSteve
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M Sport 540i

I finally got Alexa working after dealer updated my iDrive to version 11/21 (my 2020 does not have remote software update). You can check your iDrive version from the imprint section of your drivers guide, or use the drivers guide phone app Vehicle / Notes / Information / Imprint (but must be sure you have updated your vehicle within the app first).
      02-05-2022, 10:51 AM   #13
taskrov
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530ix  [0.00]
I pretty much gave up on Alexa in the car. It will work when my Pixel 6 gets connected anew, but next time I get into the car the App icon is dimmed and My BMW app shows "Connection required". I cannot figure out how to restore the App connection short of deleting the phone and adding back again. Since I have not had the car software updated recently, I am thinking that one of Google updates caused that.

In any case, it turns out that the meross WiFi module also supports Google Assistant. So with AA up, I can say "OK Google, open the garage door" followed by my code. So far this has worked every time.

4/21 update: I got it working on iPhone and Pixel 6. You have to have myBMW app runing (even in background) for the APP connection be active, which is required for Alexa. You also have to have DIRECT BMW-VIN connected. This does not always happen automatically on my Android. Afterwards you can use Alexa whether connected to iDrive (AA disconnected) or AA. So I can now use Alexa to open the garage (and anything else on the house connected to Amazon) or Google Assistant. I attached two screenshots of what the Mobile Devices screen shows when in iDrive mode and when in AA mode. Switching between the two modes is done with AA connect/disconnect action.
Attached Images

Last edited by taskrov; 04-22-2022 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 1