E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Brushed Aluminium No Longer Available - Help Needed !

10-14-2005, 06:22 AM   #23
xyz123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 E82 Msport, manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon_dakota
Its true Brushed Aluminium is longer available as an option on the 3 and 1 series in the UK.

It looks good I had it on my 325i but it doesn't wear very well, the trim on the door was pock-marked where the seatbelt buckle had hit it when the belt was undone. I wonder if that is the reason why it has been withdraw
This is the most credible possible reason why BMW would withdraw aluminum trim that I have read so far. It is certainly not because of a shortage. While searching for short shift knobs on the web, I saw a warning by one maker of aluminum knobs to be careful not to scratch it because scratches cannot be removed. I think, but don’t know, that it's because of a coating. If you try to polish or buff out scratches, doing so would likely damage any protective coating. Unprotected aluminum oxidizes in air. That is no doubt one reason why anodized aluminum is used in a lot of applications. If there are problems with aluminum trim, I would expect BMW to quietly withdraw it without official comment since they have sold a good number of cars with aluminum trim to early adopters who might become unhappy. I wonder if any other carmakers use or have used aluminum trim successfully.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2005, 12:52 PM   #24
AidenL
Driving !
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 530e XDrive

I'm gonna order the trims in Aluminium and have then retrofitted by my dealer.....

I'm onto BMW Customer Services at the mo to see if they will give me a discount on the parts.....
      10-14-2005, 12:55 PM   #25
AidenL
Driving !
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 530e XDrive

Thats exactly the bulletin I got Carl....

What do you think of your trim, worth having?

I'd go with Blue / Beige / Walnut, but I fear for the life of the beige carpets though, as I visit a lot of sites....

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl_d
Aiden

Got this from my dealer...

The standard trim on 3 Series Saloon and Touring M Sport models will change from 4AD Brushed Aluminium Trim to 4AG from production week 43

4AB Burr Walnut and 4AC Light Poplar will continue as alternative interior trims for M Sport models.

I'm not sure why they have done this and as yet I have not seen the Matt Titanium finish although I would imagine it will be quite similar.

My 2p worth...

Wood with black leather is not for all but remeber you can always change the trim later if you do not like it!!!

If you want lemon leather then wood is better.

I would go for beige leather with wood as its great with any blue.

Hope this helps
      10-14-2005, 02:54 PM   #26
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

Sorry to intrude on a European discussion; is it possible that demand for this option is less in the UK because, from what I read on other posts, the "titanium" plastic base trim looks good enough so that people who would be tempted by alu may well not think it worth the extra coin ?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2005, 02:55 PM   #27
dpcdomino
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: FX35

US customer here. Going to order mine soon but the dealer says we are on a holding pattern for the alluminum trim. All out.

I (32 years old for the record but the mind of a 7 1/2 year old and the body of a straping 80 year old) was going to go with the wood until I sat in a sports 330 with the aluminum. Nedless to say, I will wait for the aluminum trim.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2005, 02:57 PM   #28
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
You could get wood, and then put aluminum foil over it (dull side up). It will be exactly the same!

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2005, 02:57 PM   #29
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpcdomino
US customer here. Going to order mine soon but the dealer says we are on a holding pattern for the alluminum trim. All out.

I (32 years old for the record but the mind of a 7 1/2 year old and the body of a straping 80 year old) was going to go with the wood until I sat in a sports 330 with the aluminum. Nedless to say, I will wait for the aluminum trim.

Hmmmm. I am rethinking my logic on the initial post in this tread. There may well be a shortage after all - first the wood, then alu, you think that BMW underestimated demand for their baby ?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2005, 02:58 PM   #30
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Nope. If they are in fact no longer offering alum it is because of quality or durability issues. There is no such thing as an aluminum shortage.

Appreciate 0
      10-14-2005, 03:01 PM   #31
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP
Nope. If they are in fact no longer offering alum it is because of quality or durability issues. There is no such thing as an aluminum shortage.

I had alu on my A4 -4 years no problems. If there were a quality issue you think they would just fix it going forward. Perhaps their supplier has cost issues (smelters for alu are extremely energy intensive and with cost of fuel so increase cost of smelting) and therefore BMW cannot get it at a reasonable cost to them ?

Just a thought
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2005, 03:15 PM   #32
dpcdomino
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: FX35

I hope they improve the quality if they swap trims. One thing that is pushing to BMW is the quality of the interior. I felt it even better than the Audi A4 I sat in and test drove.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2005, 03:51 PM   #33
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerista
I had alu on my A4 -4 years no problems. If there were a quality issue you think they would just fix it going forward. Perhaps their supplier has cost issues (smelters for alu are extremely energy intensive and with cost of fuel so increase cost of smelting) and therefore BMW cannot get it at a reasonable cost to them ?

Just a thought
The audi trim is actually REAL extruded and stamped aluminum meaning it is metal and very durable.... the BMW is not, is Galvanic Plastic, AKA a plastic substrate with and aluminum plating, this is not heresay but directly from the product information manual sorta like silver/gold plating; crap.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2005, 03:57 PM   #34
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep

Not good....I thought that the trim strips were real alu, with only the door handles and the trim arounf the stop/start and guge cluster being the plastic wanna-be.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2005, 04:05 PM   #35
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
I had alum trim in a Mercedes too, and it was nice. Much better that what I've seen in the E90. I went with wood - no regrets.

Appreciate 0
      10-14-2005, 04:29 PM   #36
xyz123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 E82 Msport, manual

It is highly unlikely that there is a shortage of basic aluminum around the world at this time, although that could happen. There is however, a possibility that BMW's supply chain management is flawed. Their troubles with running out of wood a few months ago was likely not due to a shortage of wood as dealers claimed but might have instead been due to poor control of inventories. However, if this was the reason they would not withdraw the aluminum trim permanently since it seems to be quite popular, at least among members of this forum.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2005, 06:03 PM   #37
tl_boy
Major
Rep
Drives: tl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP
Wood is better anyway (boy am I going to get blasted now). They're doing you a favor. Still think it's bullshit though.

good one. i have done polls on this on both bimmerfest and here, and the vote is for brushed alum with silver ext or spk graph exterior and black interior.

sorry.

And votes aside, it just looks a hell lot better in this particular model.

Appreciate 0
      10-14-2005, 06:06 PM   #38
tl_boy
Major
Rep
Drives: tl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul
The audi trim is actually REAL extruded and stamped aluminum meaning it is metal and very durable.... the BMW is not, is Galvanic Plastic, AKA a plastic substrate with and aluminum plating, this is not heresay but directly from the product information manual sorta like silver/gold plating; crap.

Are you talking E46 or E90? There is a difference. I have the aluminum and it is cool to the touch in cold weather and hot in hot weather. i don't believe it is plastic no way.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2005, 05:57 AM   #39
jhbodle
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
How is this going to affect those of us with alu trim in our E90's? Does this mean we won't be able to order bits of alu trim to replace ones that are scratched in the future?

At least our cars will be kind of unique!

As for the titanium matt plastic - sure, it looks nice but when you touch it you are in no doubt that its plastic - the first time I touched it one thought came into my mind - 'Ford Focus'
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2005, 07:31 AM   #40
darkside
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 e90 335

This thread interests me as I just placed an order with alum. trim. What does the titanium trim look like? Is this the trim I have in my 03 M3? Is there anywhere I can view this online?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2005, 10:02 AM   #41
JamieA
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tl_boy
Are you talking E46 or E90? There is a difference. I have the aluminum and it is cool to the touch in cold weather and hot in hot weather. i don't believe it is plastic no way.
You are right, the Aluminium trim is real, the "titanium" trim is the coated plastic.

The previous comment about the durability of the Audi trim is because it has a pattern on it that hides scratches etc. Mine has worn quite well. The BMWs is brushed and would show every mark.
      10-16-2005, 10:24 AM   #42
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Maybe we will get lucky and BMW will come up with a good carbon fibre trim for the M-sport. Otherwise I would opt for poplar.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2005, 02:43 PM   #43
carl_d
General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M-Sport N55 6SP Nov10

I like the aluminium and I'm not seeing any problems yet but I've only done 1400 miles. I'm finding black inside much harder to keep clean as it show marks more readily.

I had beige/wood in my E46 330 Sport for 3.5 years 40k. No real wear and I kept the leather clean and fed yearly. Carperts clean up with BMW shampoo and I got new mats every 18-24 months. Beige is easier than black to keep clean because it hides mud/dust better. The secret is not to wait until its really grubby just clean it often - a wipe with damp shamos is best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenL
Thats exactly the bulletin I got Carl....

What do you think of your trim, worth having?

I'd go with Blue / Beige / Walnut, but I fear for the life of the beige carpets though, as I visit a lot of sites....
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2005, 04:00 PM   #44
kt157
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: jet black 330i

im week43 production and my dealer didn't call me anything about this. they should complete my car sometime next week
Appreciate 0