BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum G30 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, European Delivery Would you order a new 540i now, or wait for the G60?

06-27-2023, 12:02 PM   #1
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Would you order a new 540i now, or wait for the G60?

Still deciding on the $3,500 DHP (dynamic handling package) option, since somebody commented it might increase the ride height (which would be a deal-breaker for me), so need to look into that. By the way, I'd order the car with basically every other option, so about 82 grand (including DHP).

Now the question is if I should order an 'old' G30, or wait for a G60. Any word when G60 production will start? The answer to buying now or later depends on how much of a discount I could get on a '23. Both dealers I'm talking to, sell at MSRP, but several others are discounting their '23 540s 4 grand or more. I'm sure a '23 5 series will depreciate like a rock when the G60 comes out, so I don't think it'd be wise to buy one this late at MSRP. I haven't made an offer or anything, but even if they accepted 4 grand, would it be enough of an incentive for you to buy a '23? Just curious.

Finally, the G60 looks much nicer inside and out, but unfortunately, it'll be even bigger (4" longer), and probably heavier as well. The good news is the power-train is reportedly the same on the 540, or I'd never consider buying a new model. I did that mistake with my ex-M3 V8, thinking BMW learned its lesson with the main bearing fiasco on the previous I-6 M engine, but nope; same thing happened to mine. That's why I left BMW... but ready to be back.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2023, 01:20 PM   #2
Sideways the Seven
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i M-Sport

I do believe the G60 is coming with the revised B58 that adds port injection.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2023, 01:25 PM   #3
JCtx
Major General
Rep

I believed it had dual-injection already, but guess not. That is a significant upgrade IMO, since that eliminates the need to clean valves on DI engines. By the way, how often do you have to do that with the BMW sixes? And how easy/hard is that procedure? Thank you.
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2023, 07:44 PM   #4
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

+40hp

if the new G60 540 allows you to add rear wheel steering it would be a no brainer.

i just drove the some route to and fro 3 hrs each way in my 340 and then the 550 and the 340 has nothing on the 550 barge's DHP. it corners on rails - the combination of active anti roll bar and rear wheel steering. something that defies logic.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2023, 08:45 PM   #5
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Hey, that is nice to hear, since I'd absolutely get DHP, whether it has RWS or not. The weight difference between a RWD 540i and an AWD M550i is massive, and basically all in the front (between heavier engine and AWD hardware), so RWS is probably not needed on a much lighter 540 IMO. And less complication as well. But we'll have to wait for the 540 specs, since configurator only has the 530 for now.

Oh, and salesman called me and said no more '23s, so that option is gone. And there's no 540 in the pipeline not already in production. Plus no discounts, so waiting for a '24 is a no-brainer. Plus with dual injection and +40 HP is also a no-brainer. Plus much nicer interior too. Didn't like it's 4" longer, but still have to see if it's actually heavier or not. Also hope it's still double-wishbone and multi-link, which is great. Will do research on the MB E-class equivalent, but as a driving enthusiast, and motorcycle enthusiast with a BMW sport bike, will most likely end up with a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2023, 01:32 AM   #6
kid_buu
Rep
Drives: bmw

I don’t think you’ll be able to order a new ‘23 540 or any 5xx, which state has these still available ?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2023, 08:45 PM   #7
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Yes, that is correct. Salesman called yesterday saying no more ordering of '23s. And BMW configurator now just lists '24s indeed... but only 530s. The only few '23 540s in the pipeline are not nearly fully optioned, but I wouldn't buy one without a discount anyway, since some dealers are offering 4 grand off. And they're going to depreciate even worse, with the G60 out. So he's now trying to sell me a M550i or 840i. By the way, just checked used 550s, and they depreciate like crazy, so not sure if paying 10 grand over MSRP for a 911 would be a better financial move, but I refuse to do that. Ha ha. So maybe I should consider a pristine used one... which I've never done before. The M550i is reportedly over 500 lbs heavier than a RWD 540i, and probably most at the front (where the heavier engine and AWD hardware is), so it probably handles like a boat by comparison. And a 540 handles like a boat compared to an M340/440i, so I don't know where to stop. I want to try the E53 too, since you can order it with air suspension and acoustic package. I want a hybrid sports and luxury car, if that makes sense. Being quiet and comfortable when traveling, and fun and competent in the twisties when putting everything in sport+. I wouldn't track it, so no need for M3 handling at the expense of comfort and a loud cabin. Will keep doing research, and narrow down what the heck I want. Fun stuff. Ha ha.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2023, 08:50 PM   #8
BMW012
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M550i CBM/Ivory

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCtx View Post
Yes, that is correct. Salesman called yesterday saying no more ordering of '23s. And BMW configurator now just lists '24s indeed... but only 530s. The only few '23 540s in the pipeline are not nearly fully optioned, but I wouldn't buy one without a discount anyway, since some dealers are offering 4 grand off. And they're going to depreciate even worse, with the G60 out. So he's now trying to sell me a M550i or 840i. By the way, just checked used 550s, and they depreciate like crazy, so not sure if paying 10 grand over MSRP for a 911 would be a better financial move, but I refuse to do that. Ha ha. So maybe I should consider a pristine used one... which I've never done before. The M550i is reportedly over 500 lbs heavier than a RWD 540i, and probably most at the front (where the heavier engine and AWD hardware is), so it probably handles like a boat by comparison. And a 540 handles like a boat compared to an M340/440i, so I don't know where to stop. I want to try the E53 too, since you can order it with air suspension and acoustic package. I want a hybrid sports and luxury car, if that makes sense. Being quiet and comfortable when traveling, and fun and competent in the twisties when putting everything in sport+. I wouldn't track it, so no need for M3 handling at the expense of comfort and a loud cabin. Will keep doing research, and narrow down what the heck I want. Fun stuff. Ha ha.
i bet salesmen love you
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 02:00 AM   #9
JCtx
Major General
Rep

He'd have to work hard to earn my business; that's for sure. Ha ha. Anyway, I'm going to take my time to figure out what exactly which car I want. And I'll absolutely look beyond BMW. I'm tired of making expensive car mistakes. This time I want something as luxurious as possible, including a quiet cabin, comfortable heated/ventilated seats (preferably with massage) in supple leather, and a nice stereo. But also as sporty as possible, including a valved exhaust, adaptive suspension, good handling with minimal body roll, as light as possible (so RWD preferably), and most importantly, fun to drive fast and slow. Also important is a good range of at least 400 highway miles. I'd like to stay below 6 figures total. So far the best option on paper seems to be the E53 AMG, which has adaptive air suspension, sport valved exhaust, multi-contoured massage seats with heat and ventilation, and loaded to the gills would cost low 90s in either coupe or sedan. But need to find one to drive first. On the BMW side, will consider both the 540 and M550 with DHP. And Austin has a E450 coupe RWD, which would be equivalent to the 540, so want to drive that one too (although it lacks air suspension). I'm not in any hurry to buy, but could buy it tomorrow if the right opportunity presents itself, so we'll see what happens. It might take me weeks (if not months), to be able to drive just those models listed above, to start narrowing things down. And go from there. Going to Austin in a few weeks, where I should be able to get ahead on the test drives. There's nothing in El Paso, so I can just do research here.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 03:19 AM   #10
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

i don't know if you like buttons, the G60 comes with 100% touch screen everything.

if you must have buttons, my fully optioned M550i is more fun to drive than my M340i. the handling defies logic on the road. on the track I am sure the M340i will whip its ass.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 07:38 AM   #11
MikeElmendorf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5/2021 M550

There are no G60 540s yet. They are not entering production until fall.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 02:48 PM   #12
JCtx
Major General
Rep

I personally MUCH prefer buttons myself, than everything on a freaking screen. At least the common ones, like HVAC, driving modes + suspension/exhaust adjustments, and heated/cooled seats. But seems like everyone is going in that direction, unfortunately. But thank you for the heads up.

I've been looking at comparisons with comparable German cars, but can't find anything. If I buy an M550i, I absolutely want it with massage seats and full Merino (besides ventilation and DHP, of course), to entice my wife to ride with me. Ha ha. Austin (south) is getting one any day, and I need to go back there in a week or two, so will drive it. They have one with DHP and one without, so hopefully I can drive the latter, which is what I want too. I had a 2018 S6 V8TT after a GTR, which I assume is very comparable to the M550i, and I really liked it... but had engine issues, so had to sell it. I never liked the Audi's handling, since it has a FWD-based chassis, with a ton of weight in front of the axles (engine sits longitudinal). So I assume the M550i should run circles around it, not to mention it has over 100hp more. The new ones are more powerful, and V6 turbo, but still ride on the same FWD-based chassis, so no more Audis for me. The immediate competitor that comes to mind vs BMW is the E class... but no V8 (except E63 AMG, but that's an M5 competitor). At any rate, the M550i gets 17/25 on 18 gallons, vs the M3 16/23 on 15.6 gallons, so that's pretty good. The E53 gets 20/28 with a 17.5 tank, so very good range. Plan to drive at least those 2 next time I'm in Austin, for go from there. Thank you for all the info guys.

Last edited by JCtx; 06-29-2023 at 03:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 03:46 PM   #13
BMW012
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I personally MUCH prefer buttons myself, than everything on a freaking screen. At least the common ones, like HVAC, driving modes + suspension/exhaust adjustments, and heated/cooled seats. But seems like everyone is going in that direction, unfortunately. But thank you for the heads up.

I've been looking at comparisons with comparable German cars, but can't find anything. If I buy an M550i, I absolutely want it with massage seats and full Merino (besides ventilation and DHP, of course), to entice my wife to ride with me. Ha ha. Austin (south) is getting one any day, and I need to go back there in a week or two, so will drive it. They have one with DHP and one without, so hopefully I can drive the latter, which is what I want too. I had a 2018 S6 V8TT after a GTR, which I assume is very comparable to the M550i, and I really liked it... but had engine issues, so had to sell it. I never liked the Audi's handling, since it has a FWD-based chassis, with a ton of weight in front of the axles (engine sits longitudinal). So I assume the M550i should run circles around it, not to mention it has over 100hp more. The new ones are more powerful, and V6 turbo, but still ride on the same FWD-based chassis, so no more Audis for me. The immediate competitor that comes to mind vs BMW is the E class... but no V8 (except E63 AMG, but that's an M5 competitor). At any rate, the M550i gets 17/25 on 18 gallons, vs the M3 16/23 on 15.6 gallons, so that's pretty good. The E53 gets 20/28 with a 17.5 tank, so very good range. Plan to drive at least those 2 next time I'm in Austin, for go from there. Thank you for all the info guys.
in real life driving the mpg between the m550i and the e53 will be the same or i wouldnt be surprised if the m550i does better. i had a 2020 c43 with the same engine right before i got the 21 m550i and just got a 23 m550i yesterday. bmw usually under claims all of their numbers. the suspension on the amgs are rougher than the m550i for sure. after you drive them both im pretty sure you will know who the clear winner is.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 04:24 PM   #14
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Well, the Austin dealer I'm dealing with only has 2 M550s coming, and none is fully loaded, like I want it. Just found this one over autotrader: https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing
It seems to have most of the options I want (19s, DHP, multi-contour massage ventilated seats, etc), but cannot tell if it has the full nicer leather package or not (ad says 'dakota', but I doubt it's Dakota. It has to be at least Napa, but I want the full Merino). And can anybody guess at the MSRP of this car? It's a '23, only has 1,5xx miles, and I'd save at least 15 grand over a new one (depending on MSRP and negotiated sales price). And with a 1/23 build date, it doesn't even have 6 months on the warranty, which is great. But would have to find somebody who lives in South Jordan UT to check it out, and offer to pay for the inspection, of course. Any sign of an accident, which would be an immediate deal-breaker, as well as any undue wear and tear, like wheel/seat rash, dings, etc. Never bought used in my life because I'm super anal, but rather try to buy what I want, than compromise on options and buy a new one not fully loaded I might regret later. Plus it'd probably depreciate even worse than this one, due to the G60 just around the corner. All comments welcome. Thanks guys.

Last edited by JCtx; 06-29-2023 at 04:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 07:46 PM   #15
Gautam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M550

Garage List
2018 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Well, the Austin dealer I'm dealing with only has 2 M550s coming, and none is fully loaded, like I want it. Just found this one over autotrader: https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing
It seems to have most of the options I want (19s, DHP, multi-contour massage ventilated seats, etc), but cannot tell if it has the full nicer leather package or not (ad says 'dakota', but I doubt it's Dakota. It has to be at least Napa, but I want the full Merino). And can anybody guess at the MSRP of this car? It's a '23, only has 1,5xx miles, and I'd save at least 15 grand over a new one (depending on MSRP and negotiated sales price). And with a 1/23 build date, it doesn't even have 6 months on the warranty, which is great. But would have to find somebody who lives in South Jordan UT to check it out, and offer to pay for the inspection, of course. Any sign of an accident, which would be an immediate deal-breaker, as well as any undue wear and tear, like wheel/seat rash, dings, etc. Never bought used in my life because I'm super anal, but rather try to buy what I want, than compromise on options and buy a new one not fully loaded I might regret later. Plus it'd probably depreciate even worse than this one, due to the G60 just around the corner. All comments welcome. Thanks guys.
The seats are definitely nappa. I’m very picky about specs and I’ll say this is a good one. Eyeballing, the msrp is probably in the low-mid 90’s. You can determine it exactly using mdecoder and the pricing guide The only substantial way to get better is bowers & wilkins audio, which is very hard to come by in ‘23’s. And perhaps leather dash.

Merino will be very very hard to come by on a ‘23. It would have required a special order. It’s not even listed in the ordering guide.
      06-29-2023, 07:55 PM   #16
BMW012
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
by looking at the seats you can tell its not dakota. nappa is super comfortable. dash isnt upgraded. not sure about the demand in that area, but for 15k below msrp that things going to move fast. then again i dont know what used 23s are going for... but seems like a steal either way. wouldnt think too hard about this one.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 08:31 PM   #17
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Thank you very much for your input; greatly appreciated. I remember configuring a '23 540i with full merino, so surprised the higher end M550 didn't offer it on the configurator, but I believe you. The 540i had 2 options: extended Merino, and full Merino; not sure what the difference was, but maybe the dash, and other areas. On the M550, there's a separate option for leather dash, and I saw both that, and the Bowers & Wilkins audio, on a '22 M550i for sale by a private owner, and most other options as well, but for $79K, and with 6K miles, and almost 2 years on the warranty. Have a few questions for those who might know:
Is the difference from the HK to the BW that great? I remember reading that it wasn't any better, but I think the guy was talking about an 850.
The other question is if the moon-roof sunscreen is solid or translucid, like in most Mercedes vehicles. I do not want it translucid, so hope it has a solid cloth cover.

Finally, I didn't want black wheels, nor runflat tires, but it's impossible to find everything you want. At least the wheels/tires are 19s, which is what I wanted. I also wanted the ivory interior, but that brown doesn't look that bad. My final thought is why did that person got rid of that car that soon at such a massive loss; makes you wonder. And in that case, I'll probably never know, since it was traded. Called the place, and should get more info tomorrow. Will keep you posted. Thanks again guys.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 11:21 PM   #18
Gautam
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M550i  [0.00]
The only model year that any G30 offered merino as an option was 2020 per the pricing and ordering guides, during which the 540i did have it available. But I’m second guessing myself slightly because bmw does tend to change the configurator sporadically, especially following the “chip shortage”. Extended merino would include leather dash.

https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...5&d=1668408618

The wheels and tires I’d prioritize very low. You can always change them.

B&W IMHO is worth it. I’ve owned BMW’s with base, h/k and B&W. Base doesn’t feel appropriate for a luxury car, h/k is decent, B&W is something special. But it’s hard to find, and isn’t even available anymore on the G60. In a pinch I’d probably pick b&w over dhp, depending on whether you value audio or driving dynamics more. Best to get both though

The sunroof cover is solid.

This might just be the market price, at least temporarily. They tend to slump immediately after a new model comes out, then rise again slightly when people remember how good they are/were.
      06-29-2023, 11:53 PM   #19
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thank you very much for your input; greatly appreciated. I remember configuring a '23 540i with full merino, so surprised the higher end M550 didn't offer it on the configurator, but I believe you. The 540i had 2 options: extended Merino, and full Merino; not sure what the difference was, but maybe the dash, and other areas. On the M550, there's a separate option for leather dash, and I saw both that, and the Bowers & Wilkins audio, on a '22 M550i for sale by a private owner, and most other options as well, but for $79K, and with 6K miles, and almost 2 years on the warranty. Have a few questions for those who might know:
Is the difference from the HK to the BW that great? I remember reading that it wasn't any better, but I think the guy was talking about an 850.
The other question is if the moon-roof sunscreen is solid or translucid, like in most Mercedes vehicles. I do not want it translucid, so hope it has a solid cloth cover.

Finally, I didn't want black wheels, nor runflat tires, but it's impossible to find everything you want. At least the wheels/tires are 19s, which is what I wanted. I also wanted the ivory interior, but that brown doesn't look that bad. My final thought is why did that person got rid of that car that soon at such a massive loss; makes you wonder. And in that case, I'll probably never know, since it was traded. Called the place, and should get more info tomorrow. Will keep you posted. Thanks again guys.
hey man sorry i can't access autotrader from my internet- it's blocked for some reason.
HK + B&W - there is a difference, i wouldn't call it massive depending on what you are after. the bass mid and treble are the close, and the B&W is more sparkly and more lively in the treble area which is not where i get my pleasure (= bass and human voice). also the louder you crank it up the bigger the difference. in my car i have cranked up the bass and the human voice and turned 1khz and beyond all the way down!) i get my pleasure from the V8, DHP (the witchcraft that makes a bouncy heavy car corner flatter, less bouncy and more effortless than my stiff twitchy M340i both in the dry and in the wet), and fake engine sound. the real engine/exhaust sound is even better but you can't hear it from the inside.

why people don't drive their car - some have many cars and don't drive some of them. could be many reasons. i'd say most likely he has a few SUVs and didn't drive the sedan and traded the 550 for a LCI X5/X5M

Last edited by G30M; 06-30-2023 at 12:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2023, 06:13 AM   #20
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep
Drives: '22 AW G30 B58 M-Sport

Quote:

Quote:
He'd have to work hard to earn my business; that's for sure. Ha ha. Anyway, I'm going to take my time to figure out what exactly which car I want. And I'll absolutely look beyond BMW. I'm tired of making expensive car mistakes. This time I want something as luxurious as possible, including a quiet cabin, comfortable heated/ventilated seats (preferably with massage) in supple leather, and a nice stereo. But also as sporty as possible, including a valved exhaust, adaptive suspension, good handling with minimal body roll, as light as possible (so RWD preferably), and most importantly, fun to drive fast and slow. Also important is a good range of at least 400 highway miles. I'd like to stay below 6 figures total. So far the best option on paper seems to be the E53 AMG, which has adaptive air suspension, sport valved exhaust, multi-contoured massage seats with heat and ventilation, and loaded to the gills would cost low 90s in either coupe or sedan. But need to find one to drive first. On the BMW side, will consider both the 540 and M550 with DHP. And Austin has a E450 coupe RWD, which would be equivalent to the 540, so want to drive that one too (although it lacks air suspension). I'm not in any hurry to buy, but could buy it tomorrow if the right opportunity presents itself, so we'll see what happens. It might take me weeks (if not months), to be able to drive just those models listed above, to start narrowing things down. And go from there. Going to Austin in a few weeks, where I should be able to get ahead on the test drives. There's nothing in El Paso, so I can just do research here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21 View Post
i don't know if you like buttons, the G60 comes with 100% touch screen everything.

OP hates the comma button.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2023, 06:25 AM   #21
BMW012
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautam View Post
The only model year that any G30 offered merino as an option was 2020 per the pricing and ordering guides, during which the 540i did have it available. But I’m second guessing myself slightly because bmw does tend to change the configurator sporadically, especially following the “chip shortage”. Extended merino would include leather dash.

https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...5&d=1668408618

The wheels and tires I’d prioritize very low. You can always change them.

B&W IMHO is worth it. I’ve owned BMW’s with base, h/k and B&W. Base doesn’t feel appropriate for a luxury car, h/k is decent, B&W is something special. But it’s hard to find, and isn’t even available anymore on the G60. In a pinch I’d probably pick b&w over dhp, depending on whether you value audio or driving dynamics more. Best to get both though

The sunroof cover is solid.

This might just be the market price, at least temporarily. They tend to slump immediately after a new model comes out, then rise again slightly when people remember how good they are/were.
the g60 has the B&W option - only $950 for 1400 watts.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2023, 09:17 AM   #22
Gautam
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW012 View Post
the g60 has the B&W option - only $950 for 1400 watts.
I stand corrected. I was looking at the i5 configurator which actually has it standard…