BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Photography/Videography processing software

05-24-2011, 11:21 AM   #1
328skidpad
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi e350 Z4M X3 M40

processing software

Did a search but did not get any set answers.

Right now I have a canon sx 10is basically a higher end Point and Shoot. Love the camera but over 400 ISO pictures get grainy. I am using the Canon software to modify my pics (non-RAW).

Other than adobe photoshop, what online programs/software would you recommend for enhancing pictures.

Thanks for looking..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 11:25 AM   #2
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Noise Ninja works quite well and the home stand-alone version is only $35. You can use the trial version to see how it works, but the trial version puts a grid across your pics. Still, it gives you an idea of how well it will work before you buy it.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 01:58 PM   #3
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Photoshop Elements has some limited NR capacities.

Until you get a bigger sensor and start shooting RAW, then you'll not be happy with your high-ISO shots. Elements is probably the largest investment in software that I'd recommend for jpeg processing from that camera.

If you're not ready for a dslr, an upgrade to a G12 and shooting in RAW, combined with DxO's Optics Pro or Adobe's Lightroom will give you much better high-ISO performance.

However, many top dslr bodies are not that great above ISO 800. Still, those cameras will blow away your current P&S. It's undeniable physics and the small sensor size combined with inexpensive processing capacity limits your resolution potential.

Dave
      05-24-2011, 02:02 PM   #4
328skidpad
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi e350 Z4M X3 M40

dslr

Great advice, I am planning to upgrade to a DSLR soon.
thank you
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 03:19 PM   #5
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP

I agree with Dave on this one. Basically what he said. I honestly wouldn't use photoshop in my every-day workflow unless I need to clone something out, etc. Lightroom, for example, does a quicker job and does it well.
      05-25-2011, 09:12 AM   #6
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

I ocasionally process point and shoot images in DxO and it works quite well. It's mainly used for my 2 DSLRs, but it works.

I find point and shoots have a bit of a fake quality to them, but putting them in a good image processing program can help that.

I used to have a canon SX10IS and it was pretty great. But compared to a DSLR, it just doesn't even come close.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 12:09 PM   #7
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

+1 for Noise Ninja and that's not just because of the name and my love for martial arts.

Just thinking out loud here, but does anyone use PaintShop Pro (or whatever it might be called now)? I use PS, but recall PaintShop Pro being decently priced and having a number of features. I'm not sure how it compares to PS Elements either, though. Just wondering if that might fit the recommendation list for someone not looking to drop coin for PS.
      05-25-2011, 12:26 PM   #8
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
+1 for Noise Ninja and that's not just because of the name and my love for martial arts.

Just thinking out loud here, but does anyone use PaintShop Pro (or whatever it might be called now)? I use PS, but recall PaintShop Pro being decently priced and having a number of features. I'm not sure how it compares to PS Elements either, though. Just wondering if that might fit the recommendation list for someone not looking to drop coin for PS.
my buddy uses Painshop Pro, but he's always looking for newer and easier programs to use. He wants to grab DxO off of me for ease of use, but he does some neat editing with PS pro. I think he's quite happy with it too. Just wants the simplicity of something less.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 12:28 PM   #9
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

I tryed it for a day, and was overwhelmed, it was like trying to learn my way around photoshop, and as i already have a pirated version of CS5, i really don't need another program like it.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 12:39 PM   #10
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
DxO is really for "global" processing. For serious editing, you'll need something like PS or PS Elements so that you clone and do selective processing on elements of the image.

I seldom do that, but some people do some "artistic" processing to almost every image. For them, you could use DxO's Optics Pro as a RAW converter and then transport the file into PS, PS-E, Aperture or some other software for discrete modifications to individual elements of the image.

I own PS, but only use it on around .01% of my images.

Dave
      05-26-2011, 09:30 PM   #11
dawiyo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan - Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
I agree with Dave on this one. Basically what he said. I honestly wouldn't use photoshop in my every-day workflow unless I need to clone something out, etc. Lightroom, for example, does a quicker job and does it well.
+1 on Lightroom and the Noise Ninja plugin.
Appreciate 0