BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Steering wheel malfunction, not adjusting or vibrating for lane changes

06-23-2019, 08:46 PM   #1
boonkgang13k
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 530e

Steering wheel malfunction, not adjusting or vibrating for lane changes

As title. Also, it's not vibrating when I change lanes, which seems like the intelligent safety feature is off too. Not sure if this is due to the fact that I didn't see the speed bumps and ran through twice yesterday. Can anyone help?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 09:53 PM   #2
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
On my BMW, there is a button at the bottom left of the dash that controls the lane change warning and a separate button that controls pedestrian warning. Check to see if the button is lit or has been accidentally turned off.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 11:18 PM   #3
boonkgang13k
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
On my BMW, there is a button at the bottom left of the dash that controls the lane change warning and a separate button that controls pedestrian warning. Check to see if the button is lit or has been accidentally turned off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Mine is 2018 530e and the lane change feature is embedded in iDrive. I checked and it's on but I didn't feel any vibration.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 08:37 AM   #4
CLABRO
THUNDER UP!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Sport G30

Garage List
Two things: Press the button next to the emergency flashers by your vents to make sure your drivers assist options are turned on.

Next, in the iDrive, you can set how much vibration you want. I believe there are 3 settings. Make sure it's on. I have mine on the strongest vibration and I can definitely feel it.

G30 l Alpine White l M Sport Package l Executive Tier l Icon Adaptive Full LED Headlights l Mocha Nappa Leather l Multi-Contour Seats l Drivers Assistance Package l Drivers Assistance Plus Package l Dynamic Handling Package l Parking Assistance Package l Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System l M Sport Brakes l Apple Carplay
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      06-24-2019, 08:58 AM   #5
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLABRO View Post
Two things: Press the button next to the emergency flashers by your vents to make sure your drivers assist options are turned on.

Next, in the iDrive, you can set how much vibration you want. I believe there are 3 settings. Make sure it's on. I have mine on the strongest vibration and I can definitely feel it.
I agree. There are two options on lane change warning: plain and intervention. With intervention, the car will attempt to steer when it senses you are leaving your lane without a blinker on (it feels like the car is fighting you when you change a lane without turning on the blilnker). If that button is not checked, then it will simply vibrate at one of three intensity levels.

If you used to have the intervention button checked, and now no longer do, then it might be similar to a placebo effect. You are not getting the feedback you used to get so it seems like it is not working. Or, of course, it could not be working.

On my 2018 530e I can feel the vibration and I recently unchecked the intervention button (thanks to ADS-UK...it was causing the back and forth careening of the lane assistant).

Try turning off the feature and doing some lane changes on a deserted road; then do the same thing with the lane warning turned on. If you can't tell the difference, you most likely have a problem. If you can tell the difference, it is probably a perceptual problem.
Appreciate 0