BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions OTA updates for early 2020 Models?

12-31-2020, 09:40 PM   #23
turbobeagle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
The dealer will want to charge, even for a car that supports OTA updates. The updates are only free at the dealer if there are "issues" as Wivenhoe noted. Basically, the dealer is paid if they can't "warranty" it to BMW and BMW will only warranty "problems".

That being said, there are enough software issues with the initial iDrive 7 to warrant a free update under those rules. There are quite a few TSBs that you can use to make it an easy conversation with the dealer. I believe one of them is the interior motion alarm not always deactivating when the key is used among others.

https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=114
Thanks for this tip, as I may give this a try sometime. I'm not 100% clear on what that reported problem is in layman's terms. Do I claim that I unlock the vehicle with the key, enter it, and then the alarm goes off?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 10:07 PM   #24
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobeagle View Post
Thanks for this tip, as I may give this a try sometime. I'm not 100% clear on what that reported problem is in layman's terms. Do I claim that I unlock the vehicle with the key, enter it, and then the alarm goes off?
You should see a light combination to confirm the interior motion is deactivated when this works. The manual describes the process. But I am sure mentions the issue to the dealer will be enough to get them to update it. If they ask you can always show the TSB.

When I talked with my dealer about my update which had a good will note from BMW NA. They didn’t mind doing it they just wanted a way for BMW to pay to prevent having to charge me a few hundred for it. Which I appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 11:28 PM   #25
turbobeagle
Lieutenant
Rep

I ended up getting my update. I decided to just play it straight up, and ask for it. BMW HQ was just horrible and rude, insisting that I should pay. The dealership just upgraded it and said they understood that it was confusing and knew that their salespeople were promising Android Auto for it. I should have just talked to them first.

All that said, Android Auto is nice but seems to cut out more often than Apple Carplay. The hookup of Android/Apple to the HUD/IC for nav is nice but honestly not a game changer. All in all it wasn't really that great a use of my time.

I also seem to have lost the ability to send destinations to the car through the Connected app which sucks. I've tried logging out and back in on both my phone and the car. Other functions such as remote locking, and remote 3d view seems to work.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 05:45 AM   #26
Wivenhoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e - delivered Nov 19

Quote:

I also seem to have lost the ability to send destinations to the car through the Connected app which sucks. I've tried logging out and back in on both my phone and the car. Other functions such as remote locking, and remote 3d view seems to work.
I have the update and had a similar problem - destinations not received in the car but everything else in the App ok. I was told to try using the website (I am in the UK) rather than the app. Works every time. After this, then advised to use the new My BMW app instead of Connected. That now works as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 10:23 AM   #27
turbobeagle
Lieutenant
Rep

Unfortunately the My BMW App is not available in the USA yet. Maybe I'll try bootlegging it sometime. Thanks for the tip.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 11:53 AM   #28
turbobeagle
Lieutenant
Rep

Ok, well almost like a cosmic joke, sending destinations to the car suddenly started working. The last destination I sent a while back magically showed up and now it seems the pipeline is flowing again.

The only change I made was to post to this forum, so clearly that's what fixed it
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 12:44 PM   #29
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Ok, well almost like a cosmic joke, sending destinations to the car suddenly started working. The last destination I sent a while back magically showed up and now it seems the pipeline is flowing again.

The only change I made was to post to this forum, so clearly that's what fixed it
I imagine it was the cell phone connection that wasn't working. I have had it occasionally fail to connect...

There are no indication that this is the case except you won't see destinations show up, can't "update apps and services", and Personal Assistant will only do basic voice commands instead of the more expansive functions. When it happens I have found rebooting iDrive sorts it out.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 02:52 PM   #30
MauiSteve
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M Sport 540i

Just in for my 1 year service for my 2020. I asked for the software update when I made the appointment for the oil change. The service rep at the small dealership here commented that it was the first one they've done (I assume referring to the iDrive 7's that don't have RSU), and that they had to contact BMW to have them unlock something for them.

Anyway, I have not had much time to really evaluate the differences, but I did lose all of my previous Bimmercode coding including the video in motion feature. Hopefully it will be easy enough to re-code things.

Last edited by MauiSteve; 02-05-2021 at 07:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2022, 12:06 AM   #31
jmcbmw
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 X-drive 30i

CPO 540i build date 03/09/20

Anyone know if 3/9/20 is considered early build or would it have the OTA? I'm seeing the car in a couple days. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2022, 04:12 AM   #32
MauiSteve
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M Sport 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcbmw View Post
Anyone know if 3/9/20 is considered early build or would it have the OTA? I'm seeing the car in a couple days. Thanks
As far as I know there were no 2020 models equipped with OTA. I believe that OTA started with 2021 models in the 5 series.

10-15-2022, 06:43 AM   #33
FLYIN'
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp, M550i, X545e

My '20 is a September 2019 build and has over the air updates for navigation that I know of. Not sure if any other software updates such as ECU are done over the air but according to the technician that installed my Carbahn tune, it's very unusual for any engine or transmission updates to be done over the air, only entertainment and iDrive updates. I was worried that an OTA update might wipe the new tune but he said not to worry.
'21 BMW X5 45e M Sport
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2022, 10:14 AM   #34
jmcbmw
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 X-drive 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYIN' View Post
My '20 is a September 2019 build and has over the air updates for navigation that I know of. Not sure if any other software updates such as ECU are done over the air but according to the technician that installed my Carbahn tune, it's very unusual for any engine or transmission updates to be done over the air, only entertainment and iDrive updates. I was worried that an OTA update might wipe the new tune but he said not to worry.
Cool, thanks for the reply man.
Appreciate 0