BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions G30 - Rear window shelf rattle

06-18-2019, 03:15 PM   #1
NCMMichael
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i

G30 - Rear window shelf rattle

I've had my m550 for 3 weeks. I did not notice any rattling until I had some work done last week. The work should have nothing to do with it, but now the shelf behind the rear seats under the rear window rattles with every bump in the road. I can't find any lose components nor can I find a way to firm things up to stop the rattle. If I lightly hit it with the heal of my hand it makes the same rattling sound as it does when I hit a bump in the road.

Any thoughts? It's driving me nuts!!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 06:47 AM   #2
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMMichael View Post
I've had my m550 for 3 weeks. I did not notice any rattling until I had some work done last week. The work should have nothing to do with it, but now the shelf behind the rear seats under the rear window rattles with every bump in the road. I can't find any lose components nor can I find a way to firm things up to stop the rattle. If I lightly hit it with the heal of my hand it makes the same rattling sound as it does when I hit a bump in the road.

Take it back to the dealer. That's what the warranty is for.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 06:54 AM   #3
NCMMichael
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i

It's strange that it started rattling all at once, but it stops when the rear sunshade is down. That evidentially locks in firm enough to stop the rattle. I typically keep the rear shade up 24x7 in past cars but can't in this one. No big deal.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 07:13 AM   #4
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Do you have folding rear seats! ,if so worth checking they are secure and that the noise is not a result of that?
Can be difficult to track down exactly where the noise is, is it worth asking someone to sit in the rear while you drive and see if they can pin point it?

Those are my suggestions
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 09:02 PM   #5
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:

Did you have the clothe hanger on the back of front seat?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 09:39 AM   #6
ztx84
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Competition Xdrive

This is a strange one... I don't know if you've done this already but one suggestion is for you to have someone else drive the car whilst you sit in the back - then you can perhaps pinpoint the source of the noise. I did this today, had what I thought was a rattle somewhere in the dash - turns out it was the info booklets rattling around in the glovebox - sorted! haha!
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      06-23-2019, 10:13 AM   #7
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 540xi

Quote:
It's strange that it started rattling all at once, but it stops when the rear sunshade is down. That evidentially locks in firm enough to stop the rattle. I typically keep the rear shade up 24x7 in past cars but can't in this one. No big deal.
Quote:
My car does same thing. Sunroof visor open, rattle. Closed nothing. I don't want them ripping my interior roof liner apart to find cause. I just keep it closed which is fine because this car gets so damn hot.

PS. Open it halfway it doesn't rattle
Appreciate 0