BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions What is the default function of the map button?

06-23-2019, 12:25 AM   #1
jwong77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e

Garage List
What is the default function of the map button?

Hello All,

I have CarPlay installed with the factory navigation. I noticed that sometimes the map button on the idrive controller will launch the BMW map and sometimes it'll launch Apple Maps within CarPlay. I always have CarPlay running.

My question is which map app does pressing the map button typically launch when there is no active navigation happening?
      06-23-2019, 12:51 AM   #2
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwong77 View Post
Hello All,

I have CarPlay installed with the factory navigation. I noticed that sometimes the map button on the idrive controller will launch the BMW map and sometimes it'll launch Apple Maps within CarPlay. I always have CarPlay running.

My question is which map app does pressing the map button typically launch when there is no active navigation happening?
If you're in CarPlay mode already it will load Apple Maps. If you have guidance going on either system, the map button will go the active one. I use both frequently.
Appreciate 1
Rulz27.00
      06-23-2019, 10:54 PM   #3
Rulz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 530e 2018 / X3 G01 2019

I only use iDrive, when you hit it, it tells you in the top of the map the route or street you are currently running.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 08:59 AM   #4
CLABRO
THUNDER UP!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Sport G30

Garage List
I have noticed that if you're using Google Maps via CarPlay and press the map button on the iDrive controller again, it gives you the option of either going to maps in CarPlay or BMW maps/navigation. I'd imagine that would be the same if you were using Apple Maps as well.

So I'll use the BMW navigation for visuals and then have Google Maps play on top of it so that comes through my speakers.

G30 l Alpine White l M Sport Package l Executive Tier l Icon Adaptive Full LED Headlights l Mocha Nappa Leather l Multi-Contour Seats l Drivers Assistance Package l Drivers Assistance Plus Package l Dynamic Handling Package l Parking Assistance Package l Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System l M Sport Brakes l Apple Carplay
Appreciate 0