BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding July Software Update

07-19-2020, 02:39 PM   #45
Cybertronic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G30 M550i, E30 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchwa View Post
T
Wonder how to put it to sleep.
Lock the car, all doors/trunk closed. Make sure the key isn't near by, and let it sit for an hour.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 03:06 PM   #46
churchwa
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Xdrive Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybertronic View Post
Lock the car, all doors/trunk closed. Make sure the key isn't near by, and let it sit for an hour.
Was locked all night long and still did not work this morning.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 03:13 PM   #47
Cybertronic
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Ok, so the only thing I can think of (because this happened to me) is that your cars FASTA data wasn't synced with BMW.

My car had all the right software levels...but still couldn't see AA.
I took it to the dealer and told them to sync the FASTA data, and then within minutes... I had AA.
So maybe try a different dealer? And specifically tell them the FASTA data needs to be synced. (IE...they cant use ISTA in offline, or workshop-only(local) mode)

Longer story...
The way it was explained to me by friends at BMW AG.
The non-RSU cars get "pushed" apps, based on the cars data and i-level in the BMW cloud. (This is how connected drive store knows whats available for your car...etc)
So even though my car was at the current software level, BMW didn't know it...so I wasn't a candidate for an app push.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 03:41 PM   #48
churchwa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybertronic View Post
Ok, so the only thing I can think of (because this happened to me) is that your cars FASTA data wasn't synced with BMW.

My car had all the right software levels...but still couldn't see AA.
I took it to the dealer and told them to sync the FASTA data, and then within minutes... I had AA.
So maybe try a different dealer? And specifically tell them the FASTA data needs to be synced. (IE...they cant use ISTA in offline, or workshop-only(local) mode)

Longer story...
The way it was explained to me by friends at BMW AG.
The non-RSU cars get "pushed" apps, based on the cars data and i-level in the BMW cloud. (This is how connected drive store knows whats available for your car...etc)
So even though my car was at the current software level, BMW didn't know it...so I wasn't a candidate for an app push.
Thank you! I will call them first thing in the morning to find out. I assume there are online because he checked for new ISTA software in front of me. Although maybe being inline is not enough.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 10:33 AM   #49
irishpadres
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530e

Garage List
2020 BMW 530e  [0.00]
I have a service appointment setup for Thursday. Is this the checklist of things to make sure this works:

1. Ensure the dealer has ISTA 4.24.x
2. Install at least I-Level 20-07-525 (or should I ask for 20-07-530?)
3. Dealer syncs FASTA data to BMW

Does that sound right?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 01:11 PM   #50
Cybertronic
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yes, although dealers only have 1 version of ISTA installed at a time. So you cant really choose versions for I-Levels. They'll update the car to whatever they have installed (and hopefully its current)
Some dealers are known to lag in installing the updates.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 02:58 PM   #51
churchwa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpadres View Post
I have a service appointment setup for Thursday. Is this the checklist of things to make sure this works:

1. Ensure the dealer has ISTA 4.24.x
2. Install at least I-Level 20-07-525 (or should I ask for 20-07-530?)
3. Dealer syncs FASTA data to BMW

Does that sound right?
I am being told that it is a slow rollout of AA and even having the update does not ensure you get it right away. That is coming from the 'Genius' at Connected drive. I am not sure there is any truth to this though.

UPDATE:
Spoke to the dealer today having got off the phone with the Connected apps team. Dealer says they know the FASTA data synced because BMWNAs engineers could see the work that had been carried out on their system and the software update that had been performed and confirmed it was the correct update. The Connected Apps Genius said they had been inundated with call from people wondering where AA was having had the update. Looks like there is a delay in the rollout.

Last edited by churchwa; 07-20-2020 at 03:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 03:59 PM   #52
mffarrell
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i Porsche 911 turbo

Quote:
I am being told that it is a slow rollout of AA and even having the update does not ensure you get it right away. That is coming from the 'Genius' at Connected drive. I am not sure there is any truth to this though.

UPDATE:
Spoke to the dealer today having got off the phone with the Connected apps team. Dealer says they know the FASTA data synced because BMWNAs engineers could see the work that had been carried out on their system and the software update that had been performed and confirmed it was the correct update. The Connected Apps Genius said they had been inundated with call from people wondering where AA was having had the update. Looks like there is a delay in the rollout.
It sounds like the Apps Genius may been have talking about the OTA rollout through RSU. In your case, if your software was correctly updated, it should be working.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 04:28 PM   #53
churchwa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mffarrell View Post
It sounds like the Apps Genius may been have talking about the OTA rollout through RSU. In your case, if your software was correctly updated, it should be working.
I think the AA all gets pushed out, just like Car Play. Many people reporting no Android Auto until the day after the software update, potentially because it needed pushing out by BMW.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 06:35 PM   #54
mffarrell
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I think the AA all gets pushed out, just like Car Play. Many people reporting no Android Auto until the day after the software update, potentially because it needed pushing out by BMW.
But if you don’t have RSU how does the update get pushed-out?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 06:53 PM   #55
churchwa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mffarrell View Post
But if you don’t have RSU how does the update get pushed-out?
AA is just an app, not a software update, but it does need the underlying update to work. If you log into connected apps portal online you can see Car play is a purchasable app. (From when they did the subscription) as is the traffic camera app.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 07:25 PM   #56
mffarrell
Captain
Rep

Quote:
AA is just an app, not a software update, but it does need the underlying update to work. If you log into connected apps portal online you can see Car play is a purchasable app. (From when they did the subscription) as is the traffic camera app.
OK, gotcha!

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 04:35 AM   #57
brimur
Rep
Drives: F30 Sport

Hi guys, I was looking up the Android Auto update in Google and came across this thread. I have a G30 with ID7. Just wanted to ask if that should get the AA update automatically or do I need to go to the dealer to get it when its available? If automatic OTA thats great but I think I have another issue with my phone though. I have a OnePlus phone and it will not stay connected to the hotspot, just connects and disconnects in a loop. Seems its a known issue with the phone so I might have to get a new one. Would a Samsung be the best choice? I see on the Google AA site they specify either Google or Samsung phones. Is that the case or should it work with anything using Android 10+? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 09:43 AM   #58
churchwa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brimur View Post
Hi guys, I was looking up the Android Auto update in Google and came across this thread. I have a G30 with ID7. Just wanted to ask if that should get the AA update automatically or do I need to go to the dealer to get it when its available? If automatic OTA thats great but I think I have another issue with my phone though. I have a OnePlus phone and it will not stay connected to the hotspot, just connects and disconnects in a loop. Seems its a known issue with the phone so I might have to get a new one. Would a Samsung be the best choice? I see on the Google AA site they specify either Google or Samsung phones. Is that the case or should it work with anything using Android 10+? Thanks
You need to go to the dealer, lots of info in the thread. Get a Pixel, best Android experience out there.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 02:38 PM   #59
irishpadres
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530e  [0.00]
First attempt to get the update failed...

1. I went to the dealer and they have ISTA 4.23.x and need to look into upgrading.
2. Also, they are not sure whether this can be a warranty claim since there is nothing wrong with the software so I may have to pay for the labor to upgrade.

In a separate e-mail with my sales person, they sent this:

Quote:
Just got an update from the area manager hope this helps:

* The OTA (Over-The-Air) RSU (Remote Software Upgrade) will be rolled out in Q4’20 to vehicles capable of RSU.
*Customers can get a manual SW update to get 07/20 SW with Android Auto if their vehicle is equipped with Live Cockpit Professional (6U3), Connected Package (6C4) and iDrive 7
* For those customers with vehicles that are not RSU capable (e.g. MY20 X3), customers will have to bring it in to a dealer and pay for manual upgrade to 07/20 SW in order to get Android Auto
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 03:04 PM   #60
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
First attempt to get the update failed...

1. I went to the dealer and they have ISTA 4.23.x and need to look into upgrading.
2. Also, they are not sure whether this can be a warranty claim since there is nothing wrong with the software so I may have to pay for the labor to upgrade.

In a separate e-mail with my sales person, they sent this:
Yikes. BMW is making this thing messier and messier.

At a bare minimum MY2020 cars should have access to dealership updates without charge...
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 04:56 PM   #61
churchwa
Rep

Does anyone have any information regarding this. Seems some people have it with the update and others not.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 09:13 AM   #62
roxor
Registered
Rep
Drives: 520d - MY2020

Hi,

I have been following this post for the past few days and I am new here. I have a G30 520d running (iDrive 7) bought in March 2020 from Llyods Newcastle UK.

So here's what I did, after doing a bit of research here and outside this forum. I called BMW connected drive and understood that the July software can ONLY be updated via your dealer if you have G30 model. If your car is within the 3 years warranty you get this for free, or else you may have to pay some amount, you can call BMW connected drive and check how much it will cost for your vehicle.

I called my dealer to book an appointment and mentioned I need July software on my vehicle as I needed Android Auto. They confirmed a date which was yday and I dropped my car for the upadte, I double checked if I will get the july softwate update and confirmed If this update includes Android Auto.

Today I got my car back and I can confirm I have Android Auto now. However, I have a very basic spec car, I don't know what other updates are included and not sure of the version number. Also, i thought i would have an option for remote software update (RSU) enabled but unfortunately it's not available for G30 yet.

Hope this helps.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-24-2020, 09:26 AM   #63
irishpadres
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530e  [0.00]
I just called the Genius line in the US and they told me the update won't be available to retrofit models (I have MY20 530e) until some time in August.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 09:39 AM   #64
churchwa
Rep

Quote:
I just called the Genius line in the US and they told me the update won't be available to retrofit models (I have MY20 530e) until some time in August.
We it seems people in the US have the update, I have the update, but no Android auto. It is very very odd.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 10:12 AM   #65
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
We it seems people in the US have the update, I have the update, but no Android auto. It is very very odd.
I think I saw on the 3-Series forum that they had AA appear 2 weeks after the update. It must be rolled out according to some schedule on BMW end.

I was scheduled to have the update today, but had to push it back.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 06:31 PM   #66
churchwa
Rep

I can confirm, AA is a pushed software update!

I had to wait 5 days after getting the cars software updated before I saw AA as an option in my 2020 M550i.
Appreciate 0