BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Wind Noise - drivers side door

06-09-2021, 10:12 AM   #1
ksoze
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550iX

Wind Noise - drivers side door

My 2018 has been basically flawless, enough so that I bought out the lease. One thing that has plagued me however is some wind noise that appears to come from the drivers door area. I have reported it twice during routine service visits and both times they say normal highway sounds. I don't think so. The cabin is a pretty well insulated one (not so good for wanting to hear exhaust sounds), and the car interior is essentially a bank vault, except that drivers door area. I have heard it can be the mirror (I do have the OEM carbon caps) or possibly the weather seal.

Anyone have and tackled this issue successfully?
      06-10-2021, 12:29 AM   #2
akuwes710
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoze View Post
My 2018 has been basically flawless, enough so that I bought out the lease. One thing that has plagued me however is some wind noise that appears to come from the drivers door area. I have reported it twice during routine service visits and both times they say normal highway sounds. I don't think so. The cabin is a pretty well insulated one (not so good for wanting to hear exhaust sounds), and the car interior is essentially a bank vault, except that drivers door area. I have heard it can be the mirror (I do have the OEM carbon caps) or possibly the weather seal.

Anyone have and tackled this issue successfully?
I had this issue on my previous coupe, never got resolved. All good points though, i heard it could be the mirror cap, or the window seals.

There is a possibility it came from the pillar area. When i wash my car, the inner side around door and the frame are mostly dry. Except for pillar area and below it. So i think if water gets in, wind gets in.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 01:43 AM   #3
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 520i

I seal the cap to the mirror with a thin bead of silicon all around. There is a groove between cap and mirror which serves as a guide. Make it smooth and there is a noise reduction.

Also like your door seal theory. They don't last forever cost the earth. You could try some BMW gummipflege. ( rubber care)

Last edited by Dephead2004; 06-10-2021 at 11:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 11:28 AM   #4
S6F
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 540ixMsport

This issue has actually been discussed on this forum a number a times. Seems that some folks (like me) are disturbed by the noise, others couldn’t care less. Though it sounds like it stems from the mirrors, this has been disproven a bunch of times by people finding no change even after completely taping over the mirror and its gap to the door. One guy even drove around with the mirror removed from the car entirely and found no change! So, to address your initial question, no, no solutions or even causes have been found to date. Good luck.
‘19 540ixMsport
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 07:03 PM   #5
GL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 M50i, 2019 540i

I am plagued with this issue and I've reported it here previously. I taped every gap on the left side of the vehicle with no improvement. I also replaced the gasket inside the mirror triangle where it attaches to the door.

I had a similar complaint on an X3. I replaced both front side glass with the acoustic glass version and the noise was eliminated.

It is truly a shame that the G30 doesn't have an acoustic glass option. I guess it would make the car too close to the 7 in quietness.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 12:54 AM   #6
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 520i

Quote:
Originally Posted by S6F View Post
This issue has actually been discussed on this forum a number a times. Seems that some folks (like me) are disturbed by the noise, others couldn’t care less. Though it sounds like it stems from the mirrors, this has been disproven a bunch of times by people finding no change even after completely taping over the mirror and its gap to the door. One guy even drove around with the mirror removed from the car entirely and found no change! So, to address your initial question, no, no solutions or even causes have been found to date. Good luck.
‘19 540ixMsport
I think it depends on the fit of the cap to the mirror. The tolerances are not perfect and in some places the gap is wider.

Where does the gap lead? Inside the mirror casing. So I believe and logic dictates that any irregularity will cause air turbulence around and even within the mirror. Air turbulence = noises. Try sticking a piece of paper to the lower side of the mirror with a short tail and watch it flap about.

Anyway it's only going to cost 30 minutes of time and 20p worth of silicon so give it a try. If you don't like it remove it.

It's also worth recalling that the year window glass is thinner on my car by 1mm than the front. There is more wind road noise from there too.
Appreciate 0