BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Possible dishonest Service Advisor / Dealership???

06-10-2021, 09:28 PM   #23
aerof16
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
And tire racks road hazard should cover run flat tire replacement, as BMW recommends. Just make sure you follow the claim rules to the letter of their rules or you may be denied on a technicality.

Btw, if you need to prove BMW does not permit run flat tire repair, refer to your owners manual. There's a clause in there about repair of tire damage. This will be sufficient under the road hazard rules. And you're covered down to 2/32 of tread. Pretty good coverage.
This would probably work as long as you had the OEM run flats on there (or replaced with OEM brand/type). However, the tire manufacturer is the approval authority.

Run flats are just like any other tire when it comes to repair, it depends. It's possible that the tires that come from the factory on your BMW do not allow repair based on the tire manufacturers recommendation, in which case it makes sense that the owners manual will say not to repair them.

8/10 of the top 10 tire manufacturers allow run flat repairs though, so just be aware of that if you buy a different tire than the OEM, like a Michelin run flat, which allow for one repair per tire.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 02:56 AM   #24
tonben
Rep
Drives: 21' 540xi Msport, 23' iX50

Posting on this forum has yielded unbelievable amounts of valuable advice.

After contacting my Auto insurance carrier, I was informed that I was covered under my existing policy for the repairs.

The two front tires were replaced and the four wheels were reconditioned (to use their terminology). I must admit the extremely micro-vibrations between 60 & 75MPH no longer exist.

I have been leasing since 1996 and this is my 4th BMW with run flats. I am re-evaluating the advantages of replacing and/or other options.

Thank you, thank you everyone.

Tony.
Appreciate 2
claykin1587.50
paquet629.50
      06-11-2021, 05:58 AM   #25
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep
Drives: '18 M550i|'21 X5|'03 540i

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2015 Infiniti QX60  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonben View Post
Posting on this forum has yielded unbelievable amounts of valuable advice.

After contacting my Auto insurance carrier, I was informed that I was covered under my existing policy for the repairs.

The two front tires were replaced and the four wheels were reconditioned (to use their terminology). I must admit the extremely micro-vibrations between 60 & 75MPH no longer exist.

I have been leasing since 1996 and this is my 4th BMW with run flats. I am re-evaluating the advantages of replacing and/or other options.

Thank you, thank you everyone.

Tony.
Nice ending financially and you realized a smoother ride you didn't know was there!
      06-11-2021, 07:23 AM   #26
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerof16 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
And tire racks road hazard should cover run flat tire replacement, as BMW recommends. Just make sure you follow the claim rules to the letter of their rules or you may be denied on a technicality.

Btw, if you need to prove BMW does not permit run flat tire repair, refer to your owners manual. There's a clause in there about repair of tire damage. This will be sufficient under the road hazard rules. And you're covered down to 2/32 of tread. Pretty good coverage.
This would probably work as long as you had the OEM run flats on there (or replaced with OEM brand/type). However, the tire manufacturer is the approval authority.

Run flats are just like any other tire when it comes to repair, it depends. It's possible that the tires that come from the factory on your BMW do not allow repair based on the tire manufacturers recommendation, in which case it makes sense that the owners manual will say not to repair them.

8/10 of the top 10 tire manufacturers allow run flat repairs though, so just be aware of that if you buy a different tire than the OEM, like a Michelin run flat, which allow for one repair per tire.
I agree with you that runflats are like any other tire and typically can be patched. However, tire OEMs seem to have policies that put the burden on the driver to determine if the tire is safe to repair. Whether it be a mileage limit, or inflation limit.... This is why some tire shops refuse to patch a runflat. They just don't want the liability if the tire casing later fails.

Regarding who makes the call on tire replacement under this policy, read the terms of the tire rack plan as I feel you've got it incorrect. Here's a quote and I'm providing the link for you to read the terms. As I mentioned before BMW includes a no tire repair disclaimer in the owners manual. This would be sufficient to enforce tire replacement for those who prefer replacement over repair.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/roadH...o_desktop=true

"Note: if the vehicle manufacturer does not permit tire repair, we will replace Eligible Tires that become Unserviceable due to impact with a covered Road Hazard during the Coverage Period under the Tire Replacement Benefit;"
      06-11-2021, 02:43 PM   #27
PRoberts22
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonben View Post
Hi everyone,

Vehicle: 2021 540xi Msport with dynamic handling package….

While driving, I received a dashboard prompt stating that my front passenger side tire ( continental 245/40 R19 runflat ), was losing air pressure. I went from 30 PSI to 0 in less than 4 minutes.

I was able to get the car home which was about 17 miles away, then eventually called Roadside Assistance and had the car towed to a BMW dealership.

The following day the service advisor stated that I needed to replace both front tires and that ALL four wheels (845M) were bent and had to be straightened/reconditioned at a price of $180 each. He also stated that rather that replacing the wheels, this process was a normal procedure done by an in house machine.

So these are my questions:

1. Is it possible to bend these wheels (845M) without sustaining any tire damage?

2. Also if these rims were bent or warped, shouldn’t I have felt vibrations?

Please advise,

Thank you.
Tony.
Unfortunately, this is a common tactic at dealerships. YMMV, but this is why I only go to a private mechanic whom is honest and trustworthy (took me a while to find).