BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis Can I patch or replace one tire?

01-12-2020, 04:29 PM   #1
BoredBMWBanker
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M550i

Can I patch or replace one tire?

I have about 1,400 miles on a 2020 m550i. This afternoon while looking at houses and at my next stop discovered a nail all the way into the tire. Low pressure alert came on, but only a few psi low. Is this something I can patch? If not, given my low mileage, can I just replace the one tire?

This is the front passenger side.
Attached Images

34 Years old and living the life of a 60 year old.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 05:00 PM   #2
AddyDaddy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 M60, M5's, 535.335, M550i

Garage List
Pretty sure you'll be fine to replace.
Sure you still have 8 or 9/32nds left on tread depth.

I'd patch if you can, easier and less expensive
2019 M550 686BK Black Chrome 20"wheels, filters, Evolve Stage 1, Res delete
2024 i5 M60 Cape York Green
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      01-12-2020, 08:47 PM   #3
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredBMWBanker View Post
I have about 1,400 miles on a 2020 m550i. This afternoon while looking at houses and at my next stop discovered a nail all the way into the tire. Low pressure alert came on, but only a few psi low. Is this something I can patch? If not, given my low mileage, can I just replace the one tire?

Patch it. Be sure to go to a tire shop using a Leverless/contactless tire mounting machine. Such as Hunter or Corghi. If you can't find one check with Tire Rack. They list authorized shops and the equipment they have.
      01-13-2020, 02:14 AM   #4
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
I thought you can't patch run flats. Either way, it's perfectly fine to replace one tyre given your low mileage.
Appreciate 2
clee1982796.00
NHM55021.00
      01-13-2020, 11:00 AM   #5
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS-UK View Post
I thought you can't patch run flats. Either way, it's perfectly fine to replace one tyre given your low mileage.
Of course you can patch a run flat. Manufacturers don't want you to patch them for two reasons. 1. They don't know how far you've driven on an under inflated or zero pressure tire which can overstress the sidewall and 2) they like selling tires.

It's up to each consumer to determine whether they drove on the tire deflated or severely under inflated for a period of time. If they did, it's advisable to replace the tire. Most situations involve an under inflated tire but still more than 20psi and a quick repair. Those tires can safely be repaired. Unless it's a Goodyear run flat, in which case all bets are off. Worst run flat sidewalls I've ever experienced.
      01-13-2020, 11:29 AM   #6
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:

If you can afford the car, you can afford a new tire. Error on the side of caution. It's only your life.

A run flat tire may not work as designed if it's been patched. It's not worth the risk, especially at high-speed.
Appreciate 2
clee1982796.00
Dobie Dog737.50
      01-15-2020, 07:12 PM   #7
BoredBMWBanker
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
Quote:

If you can afford the car, you can afford a new tire. Error on the side of caution. It's only your life.

A run flat tire may not work as designed if it's been patched. It's not worth the risk, especially at high-speed.
I'm just cheap. I had to replace two as another had a nail too...900 later..

34 Years old and living the life of a 60 year old.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 07:14 PM   #8
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I get it, trust me. I just had to replace one crappy Goodyear tires knowing that I don't like them. It was either that, or replace all four which only have 5000 miles on the whole set. Something about patching a tire will always put a doubt in my mind if I decide to take my car out at a brisk pace.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 07:19 PM   #9
NHM550
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i

I wouldn't risk patching. If you have a road hazard warranty the tire will be covered for replacement. Even if you drive below 60 all the time a run flat can grenade apart when compromised. A friend of mine had a run flat peel apart on the highway and it took out his rear fender and bumper.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 09:04 PM   #10
Bimmertrashjr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Is it the good year?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 01:13 PM   #11
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

You can totally patch/plug (preferably both) a runflat. At least that tire was designed to be driven on with low/no pressure.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 09:05 PM   #12
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
You can totally patch/plug (preferably both) a runflat. At least that tire was designed to be driven on with low/no pressure.
You can patch it, but it may not perform as designed when it goes completely flat next time. To me it's a safety thing and not worth the risk. That doubt will always be in your mind when your hugging that corner at 90 mph, but that's just me.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 09:16 PM   #13
SoCal540
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 540i xDrive

Quote:

Do you have a good tire shop that you trust? If so, I'd defer to them... generally an inside patch would definitely work but I would talk to a reputable place.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 11:22 PM   #14
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You can patch it, but it may not perform as designed when it goes completely flat next time. To me it's a safety thing and not worth the risk. That doubt will always be in your mind when your hugging that corner at 90 mph, but that's just me.
That little nail in the middle of the tread is nothing to worry about if it's patched/plugged properly.
And plenty of track guys have plugged/patched tires and used them on track.
There's NO street driving that will replicate anything you'd get on track.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 11:24 PM   #15
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Quote:
That little nail in the middle of the tread is nothing to worry about if it's patched/plugged properly.
And plenty of track guys have plugged/patched tires and used them on track.
There's NO street driving that will replicate anything you'd get on track.
You don't have to tell me about tracks! This is my other BMW.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 08:11 PM   #16
xxxjecxxx2
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M Sport

Garage List
2013 F30 335i  [0.00]
2015 F15 X5  [0.00]
2017 G30 540i  [0.00]
Bring it to discount tire. They will do it for free.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 04:51 PM   #17
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You don't have to tell me about tracks! This is my other BMW.
Very proud of you. That's dope hanging your ass 12" off the ground.
Still doesn't change what I said about plugging and patching a street tire.

Last edited by aus; 02-12-2020 at 05:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 09:22 PM   #18
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxjecxxx2 View Post
Most discount tire stores are using tire mounting machines from the 1980s. Beware as these machines struggle removing 18"+ run flat low profile tires. In other words expect the lip of the rim to not look the same post repair.

Find a tire shop with a Leverless mounting machine or one with an automated arm (hands off tire removal with only a nylon wheel touching the inside bead of the rim) . You can find some good examples on the Hunter Engineering website.
      02-12-2020, 10:10 PM   #19
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Quote:
Most discount tire stores are using tire mounting machines from the 1980s. Beware as these machines struggle removing 18"+ run flat low profile tires. In other words expect the lip of the rim to not look the same post repair.

Find a tire shop with a Leverless mounting machine or one with an automated arm (hands off tire removal with only a nylon wheel touching the inside bead of the rim) . You can find some good examples on the Hunter Engineering website.
If you can afford the car, you can afford a new tire. Why take a chance?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 10:44 PM   #20
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well, I choose to not piss money away unnecessarily. But yes there's scenarios where you shouldn't chance it and instead just replace the tire. I'm comfortable I know when to repair /replace but can easily see many drivers just don't understand the variables.

Lack of understanding by drivers and tire shops is predominantly why tire OEMs push for replacements instead of repair options. They just don't want the liability.
      02-12-2020, 11:11 PM   #21
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well, I choose to not piss money away unnecessarily. But yes there's scenarios where you shouldn't chance it and instead just replace the tire. I'm comfortable I know when to repair /replace but can easily see many drivers just don't understand the variables.

Lack of understanding by drivers and tire shops is predominantly why tire OEMs push for replacements instead of repair options. They just don't want the liability.
I wasn't signaling you out, you were just the last one to post.
Appreciate 1
claykin1579.00
      02-13-2020, 08:19 AM   #22
xxxjecxxx2
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M Sport

Garage List
2013 F30 335i  [0.00]
2015 F15 X5  [0.00]
2017 G30 540i  [0.00]
Quote:

This is not a paid endorsement.. lol

But I can vouch for the experience at Discount Tire. The last few BMWs I've had all ran 19" wheels and I have never had an issue with them damaging wheels.

They earned my business when I rolled in there with a flat run flat and they patched it for free. Of course I went back there ever since.
Appreciate 0