BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Moonroof creaking

01-02-2020, 10:19 AM   #1
Bosstime
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i

Moonroof creaking

Hi everyone,

I know this topic has been discussed before, but can anyone relate to having their moonroof creak in their G30 when the glass is shut - it goes away when the glass is raised. I have seals replaced, the glass raised (3mm) and lubrication and the problem still exists. My BMW dealership is still trying to solve the problem - any suggestions? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 01:54 PM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Are The seals rubber?

If so suggestion is to use gummipledge?

Worked for door seals on previous cars

Just an idea.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 02:12 PM   #3
Bosstime
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hi AP - that lubricant has been tried by the dealership with no success. It's crazy to have this type of issue in a $70k car (or any priced car for that matter) as this is not some new technology - moonroofs have been around for years...thanks for the suggestion though...
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 02:28 PM   #4
Bosstime
Enlisted Member
Rep

Another note - when the glass is closed, if I press hard on the plastic frame connected to the back of the glass, I can make the creaking noise but when the glass is raised, pressing on the same spot does not cause any noise. So, it seems that the 'hard rubber/plastic seal frame connected to the glass is having issues when it 'closes' against the soft rubber seal connected to the moonroof frame on the car. The next question (at least to me) is should the soft rubber seal on the car be replaced as well as the 'hard plastic/rubber' frame on the back of the glass (if that is even possible) - it might mean that the whole glass portion with the back plastic rubber piece would have to be replaced? Does any of this even make sense? Otherwise, I absolutely love the car (2019 540i M Sport).
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 02:47 PM   #5
BMWFamilyMan
Fnatic
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G30

Had a similar issue on my G30 after about 1,5 yrs. If the creaking noise only appears when shut lubrication is most likely the answer - so I'd say more lubrication

Also - I was told this is a common issue that appears after washing the car with schampoo containing silicone which is often found in cheaper products. I was sceptical at first but come to think of it the issue appeared after I briefly switched to a cheap one this summer.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 04:05 PM   #6
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 540xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWFamilyMan View Post
Had a similar issue on my G30 after about 1,5 yrs. If the creaking noise only appears when shut lubrication is most likely the answer - so I'd say more lubrication

Also - I was told this is a common issue that appears after washing the car with schampoo containing silicone which is often found in cheaper products. I was sceptical at first but come to think of it the issue appeared after I briefly switched to a cheap one this summer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWFamilyMan View Post

Mine creaked, drove me crazy. Service replaced inside seals, adjusted height and that solved the problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 08:07 AM   #7
Bosstime
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the input (I use Turtle Wax car wash and will look at the contents) - so far, seals have been replaced and height adjusted with mixed/little success (some roads no creak, others major creaking) - dealership going to check with BMW engineering about replacing the glass itself since the other 'seal' that is part of the glass may be rubbing the replaced seal oddly and causing the creaking. This issue also happened to a lesser extent on my 4 series so my opinion is that there is an issue with the design of the moonroof assembly itself, not so much the car model...
Appreciate 0