BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion i5 Rumored to outperform M5 (Ecomento Mag.)

08-12-2015, 01:57 PM   #1
YWGT3
iDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: i8, Porsche Taycan T, MB EQE

i5 Rumored to outperform M5 (Ecomento Mag.)

If rumors hold true, then BMW's i5 is set to outperform its M5.

http://ecomento.com/2015/08/10/expan...ineup-rumored/

Quote:
Reports about a new BMW i model have been flying around for months now. Klaus Froehlich, the company’s head of R&D, told Automotive News Europe back in April that his team has just begun brainstorming what the next model in the “i” family might be and that it won’t arrive until 2020 at the earliest. He also said emphatically that it will be as unique in its own way as the i3 and i8 and would not be based on any existing car in the BMW lineup.

But now, BMW CEO Harald Krueger tells Frankfurter Allgemeine Sonntagszeitung that there is room in the middle of the i sub-brand’s current two model lineup “from the number point of view.” What that means, exactly, is unclear and Krueger declined to offer any additional information.

Now here’s what the rumor mill has to say. Unlike the i3 and i8, which are their own unique products independent of the rest of the BMW range, the i5 will be based on the 5 Series sedan and will use a more powerful version of the i8 plug-in hybrid powertrain. Suggestions are that the car will feature anywhere from 544 to 640 horsepower. It is said to have two electric motors, giving it all wheel drive capability.

According to one report, the i5 will have 78 miles of electric only range at speeds up to 36 miles per hour. The gasoline engine would only be called upon for maximum acceleration and range extender duties, similar to the Chevy Volt. If the rumors are true, the i5 will be arriving sooner rather than later and will out-perform the BMW M5.

Wonder what Harald Krueger and Klaus Froehlich talk about in BMW’s executive lunchroom? Their statements about the future of BMW’s “i” division could not be more different.

Last edited by YWGT3; 08-12-2015 at 09:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 04:32 PM   #2
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by yw View Post
If rumors hold true, then BMW's i5 is set to outperform its M5.

http://ecomento.com/2015/08/10/expan...ineup-rumored/
The i5 will be unlikely to outperform the 2020 M5.
      08-12-2015, 04:44 PM   #3
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
The i5 will be unlikely to outperform the 2020 M5.
The i5 will be BMWis take on a sports sedan. Its philosophy of using less than more will be no different than the BMW i8. It won't out perform a BMW M5 because it is important strategically to keep both sub-brands from overlapping and infiltrating each other's ideas.
It is not unthinkable to suggest a future M5 could be hybrid but not the forthcoming generation.
      08-13-2015, 06:03 AM   #4
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
According to one report, the i5 will have 78 miles of electric only range at speeds up to 36 miles per hour.
Not good enough. Needs to be 100% electric only with a range of 200+ miles of normal mixed driving on a full charge.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 06:54 AM   #5
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle B View Post
Not good enough. Needs to be 100% electric only with a range of 200+ miles of normal mixed driving on a full charge.
Why? The i8 isn't electric only.
      08-14-2015, 03:33 PM   #6
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Why? You effectively eliminate range anxiety and can DD a rumored i5.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2015, 06:04 PM   #7
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Because for the amount of money BMW will want for this car, people will cross shop it with the Tesla S. And if I'm spending that much money on a car and have decided to take the leap into electric cars, a 36mph speed limit isn't even close to cutting the mustard.

I don't know about you, but I have literally seen one hybrid 5 on the road in my entire life. If BMW seriously wants to get in that arena, they're going to have to build a car that can get some serious range on a charge under normal driving conditions.

just my $.02.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 12:09 PM   #8
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Because for the amount of money BMW will want for this car, people will cross shop it with the Tesla S. And if I'm spending that much money on a car and have decided to take the leap into electric cars, a 36mph speed limit isn't even close to cutting the mustard.

I don't know about you, but I have literally seen one hybrid 5 on the road in my entire life. If BMW seriously wants to get in that arena, they're going to have to build a car that can get some serious range on a charge under normal driving conditions.

just my $.02.
I've seen maybe one or two myself, but most people can't justify paying more money for a hybrid when a pure gasoline equivalent is available.

I see people driving Tesla's, i3's, and I've seen a couple i8's around here. Seems like people who buy these cars want them to have very distinctive styling that let others know that they're driving an electric/electric hybrid car. A hybrid 3 or 5 Series is pretty much indistinguishable from the gasoline engine variant.

One thing BMW i has going for it, is that you know there's something different about the car just by looking at it. i3's and i8's turn some serious heads. The i3 is like the hipster magnet, at least around here it is. I've seen groups of people walk up and look at one that's parked on the side of the street.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 06:53 PM   #9
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
If "out perform" is defined by acceleration then I can believe it. I'm betting the i5 will be just like the i8 where BMW doesn't want to embarrass themselves doing timed laps on a road course. The damn thing is probably going to have skinny, low rolling resistance tires!
      08-23-2015, 07:08 PM   #10
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

If they're smart they'll position (performance wise) the i5 just below the m5.
And then bring out an i5///M

///M arketing at it's best
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0