BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion How cool is your dealer/SA?

10-13-2015, 06:59 PM   #1
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
How cool is your dealer/SA?

So for the first time in my 15 years of owning a BMW, I asked if I can visit the shop to talk to the technician. My SA said go right ahead which I did and had a nice chat with the tech and even helped as he was measuring the circumference of my tires (false low tire pressures).

Fast forward few days, during a follow up to my unresolved issue, I get told that we aren't allowed to go the shop and that it's forbidden and dangerous. WTF! I also ask to ride in my car during a road test and I get denied...

So how cool is your SA/dealer, do you feel welcome and can roam around in the sacred secret parts of the dealer?
Ps: I will try anther dealer and see if they are more welcoming!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 07:01 PM   #2
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Most dealer's insurance does not allow customers in the work area.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 07:17 PM   #3
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
That's interesting to know. New dealer (not mine) in my area had open shop policy and welcomes the owners to talk to the techs, obviously not all owners are inclined or interested to do so.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 08:38 AM   #4
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

I've never had an issue with my dealer or SA. Always helpful and always have a loaner for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 09:20 AM   #5
Zarilia
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP DCT Silverston

My dealer/SA knows I used to be a Service Manager so I get free roam... But not anyother customers do
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 07:09 PM   #6
Desert_Fox
Drop-Top Turbo
North Korea
Rep
Drives: 2013 991 C2S/ 2013 335is E93

Garage List
My old SA is an awesome guy, he would cover anything under warranty without a question, take me back to the shop to see interesting cars getting worked on, introduced me to his family when they'd come in...

Unfortunately the corporate leadership at the dealer cut compensation and benefits, so he took an offer to be a SA at the Mercedes dealer down the street. I go down there more often to say hi and get a car wash than I visit the BMW dealer! If Merc had free maintenance and decent leases, I'd consider one just on his excellent service account.

Edit: If they wouldn't even let you ride in your own car during a test drive, that dealer is either hooning your car or not even really testing it. Move on from them.
      10-14-2015, 07:25 PM   #7
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Fox View Post
My old SA is an awesome guy, he would cover anything under warranty without a question, take me back to the shop to see interesting cars getting worked on, introduced me to his family when they'd come in...

Edit: If they wouldn't even let you ride in your own car during a test drive, that dealer is either hooning your car or not even really testing it. Move on from them.
That's a cool SA to have! I have heard all the excuses to either delay, or not replace anything from the master tech. For the various rattles I have, he said they not gut the car to fix them all, they ended up fixing the center dash rattles only. The creaking sound from the suspension, he said they didn't get authorization from BMW to replace and re-torque the stretch bolts and now for the third issue they refused me to drive my car in the road test for the false tire pressure alarms.

I had a 20mn talk with the master tech and he wouldn't be straight with me about why he doesn't want me driving my car during the road test. He eluded to that they don't do that and that they discuss things and they want to do their thing.

I thanked the SA who's a young nice guy and told him I am off to another dealer.
I cancelled my appointment and now the Director of the service department called me up and left a msg. But I am gonna try another dealer and see if it's any better...
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2015, 07:30 PM   #8
cityjohn
Rep
Drives: 2012 528i

I've worked with a few who let me in. Seems that as long as the "insurance prohibits this" sign is there, then they're ok with it. In other words, the insurance company just needs to know the sign is in place. If a customer breaks the policy then so be it.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 08:33 AM   #9
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

Dealing with really cool folks on my side, I drove over a big metal object on the read with damage to my gear box tray, the mechanics invited me to see the damage under the car and I also got a guided tour of the chassis while I was able to take photos, excellent service. The garage is new and have the most sophisticated workshop in the part of the world, a dream place for sure.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 09:27 AM   #10
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin mustang
Dealing with really cool folks on my side, I drove over a big metal object on the read with damage to my gear box tray, the mechanics invited me to see the damage under the car and I also got a guided tour of the chassis while I was able to take photos, excellent service. The garage is new and have the most sophisticated workshop in the part of the world, a dream place for sure.
That's what I would have hoped for and I knew that policies vary across dealers. It seems one needs to find that type of dealer like what you have!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 10:34 PM   #11
Bemo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3 LRP Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
Most dealer's insurance does not allow customers in the work area.
While that is true, a reasonable dealer shouldn't prevent customers from talking with the techs, even if it's around the service bays. Very few "enthusiasts" would ask for this anyway, most customers I see, are content on sipping coffee in the lounge and typing away on their laptops or mobile devices. Good for the OP to stand his/her ground and go elsewhere for service...
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 10:45 PM   #12
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemo View Post
While that is true, a reasonable dealer shouldn't prevent customers from talking with the techs, even if it's around the service bays. Very few "enthusiasts" would ask for this anyway, most customers I see, are content on sipping coffee in the lounge and typing away on their laptops or mobile devices. Good for the OP to stand his/her ground and go elsewhere for service...
My dealer allows talking to the techs without any problem, but does not allow customers in the work bays.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 06:18 AM   #13
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemo View Post
Yep, in all the years and times I've been there I see people mostly waiting in the lounge. What bothered me is not just this which I can accept, but also that I couldn't ride in my car during the road-test. Don't trust them driving it...

Funny, since I communicated my feedback, I got three calls, from the director of the service and the master tech saying they want to discuss the "situation". Not sure what there is to discuss, they should have said yes in the first place that I am welcome to ride in my own car to help maybe reproduce the issue. I am not upset or anything but some of us enthusiasts are curious and want to genuinely help and they didn't want to hear any of that.

I guess loosing an M customer has some impact, although I doubt it, we are all numbers in the system!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 09:47 PM   #14
exmowner
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3X / 14 GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad View Post
Yep, in all the years and times I've been there I see people mostly waiting in the lounge. What bothered me is not just this which I can accept, but also that I couldn't ride in my car during the road-test. Don't trust them driving it...

Funny, since I communicated my feedback, I got three calls, from the director of the service and the master tech saying they want to discuss the "situation". Not sure what there is to discuss, they should have said yes in the first place that I am welcome to ride in my own car to help maybe reproduce the issue. I am not upset or anything but some of us enthusiasts are curious and want to genuinely help and they didn't want to hear any of that.

I guess loosing an M customer has some impact, although I doubt it, we are all numbers in the system!
This m4 being my 11th m car I have always had a positive experience with my dealers service department. It would be my pleasure to introduce you my service advisor then you can sit with the mechanics in the shop while they service your car
2021-G82 BASE (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 11:02 PM   #15
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by exmowner View Post
This m4 being my 11th m car I have always had a positive experience with my dealers service department. It would be my pleasure to introduce you my service advisor then you can sit with the mechanics in the shop while they service your car
11 Mth car it'd be too funny if you have the same dealer I divorced. I used to go to Laval, now considering Canbec. Pm the details, I am curious but I'd definitely like such treatment
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 11:16 PM   #16
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
11 Mth car it'd be too funny if you have the same dealer I divorced. I used to go to Laval, now considering Canbec. Pm the details, I am curious but I'd definitely like such treatment
The one in laval I went to wasn't that bad, I had my dinan intake installed there and they allowed me to go talk to the tech, and he explained whatever I asked him.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 11:22 PM   #17
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
The one in laval I went to wasn't that bad, I had my dinan intake installed there and they allowed me to go talk to the tech, and he explained whatever I asked him.
the facilities are great, they are nice and courteous, but when it comes to warranty work they are darn inefficient and takes many trips... I gave up on them. In any case my car is doing great, knock on good, so I hope I won't have to visit any dealer until my next maintenance next July
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 11:26 PM   #18
lens
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
the facilities are great, they are nice and courteous, but when it comes to warranty work they are darn inefficient and takes many trips... I gave up on them. In any case my car is doing great, knock on good, so I hope I won't have to visit any dealer until my next maintenance next July
Oh, now I know which dealer NOT to go to for warranty work. Hahaha.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 11:33 PM   #19
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
To be honest, they may be fine for other customers but for three different issues (rattles, squeak noises and false FTM alarm), their service was sub-par and with frequent visits. It could have been that it's difficult issues, but when I met another fellow M Montreal owner, he confirmed my experience and recommended the other dealer.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 11:37 PM   #20
lens
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
To be honest, they may be fine for other customers but for three different issues (rattles, squeak noises and false FTM alarm), their service was sub-par and with frequent visits. It could have been that it's difficult issues, but when I met another fellow M Montreal owner, he confirmed my experience and recommended the other dealer.
I'm getting a slight squeak when I turn my wheel, but it's not enough for me to go to the dealer.

However, I will have them check it during my next oil change.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 01:58 PM   #21
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
My last 2 have been excellent and have both also been the Service Manager. No matter who they are, I have to break them in with the following rules.

1. Tell me the info, straight. No BS. EVER.
2. Test drive only three miles. If it is 3 miles and 1 foot, I am in the vehicle. Non-negotiable.
3. I can walk in and check on my vehicle at any time while it is under your care. Again, non-negotiable.

Once they learn these three simple rules, everyone can exist in harmony!
Cheers-mk
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 02:23 PM   #22
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
My last 2 have been excellent and have both also been the Service Manager. No matter who they are, I have to break them in with the following rules.

1. Tell me the info, straight. No BS. EVER.
2. Test drive only three miles. If it is 3 miles and 1 foot, I am in the vehicle. Non-negotiable.
3. I can walk in and check on my vehicle at any time while it is under your care. Again, non-negotiable.

Once they learn these three simple rules, everyone can exist in harmony!
Cheers-mk
I like those rules! But it's not as straight as that, however on the next trip to the new dealer, I'll sure try your method and meet the service director first. But they will all tell you their service is the best, blah blah.., and it's only when it's out to the test that you discover really how their service is. My expectations though are that M service should be above par as the car has a bit of unique parts and components but it looks like all techs receive the same training.

My ex dealer like many others didn't even know there are firmware updates that could be applied to the car and most M annoyances were either dismissed or after few trips not resolved.
Appreciate 0