BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions New Rendering

03-14-2016, 10:23 AM   #23
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

There will shortly be introductory media preview days ahead of the launch in Munich this Summer prior to the official Auto show World Premiere in Paris in October.
      03-14-2016, 01:20 PM   #24
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
There will shortly be introductory media preview days ahead of the launch in Munich this Summer prior to the official Auto show World Premiere in Paris in October.
I am assuming production would Start in Nov/Dec 2016? So in concept we could have G3Xs stateside by June/July of 2017
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 03:28 PM   #25
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington View Post
I am assuming production would Start in Nov/Dec 2016? So in concept we could have G3Xs stateside by June/July of 2017
I would say earlier. Possibly on sale just after the US Premiere which will probably be in LA as it is immediately after Paris or early 2017.
      03-14-2016, 03:46 PM   #26
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
I would say earlier. Possibly on sale just after the US Premiere which will probably be in LA as it is immediately after Paris or early 2017.
Winning.. hate to say this but if the 550i or whatever the highest performance model is.. might be the replacement for the F80..

The M5 won't probably arrive till what 2018 as a 2019?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 12:48 PM   #27
Nordkeyz73
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i ZSP, Macan Turbo

Quote:
7er. This is the 5er.
So is the top 5er an 8 or 6? Please also say there's a manual option!
      03-16-2016, 08:24 PM   #28
AKRAPOVICOWNS
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

You can cleary see the hockey stick in scott's pic on the 1st page, for those wondering if it would have it.
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2016, 11:35 AM   #29
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRAPOVICOWNS
You can cleary see the hockey stick in scott's pic on the 1st page, for those wondering if it would have it.
Im not seeing it. If you're referring to the crease on the lower door, there is still hard camouflage under the graphics. It starts about 4" behind the front fender.

This isn't the best rendering, but the air breather and ankle line are somewhat close...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 12:01 PM   #30
AKRAPOVICOWNS
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiten
Quote:
Im not seeing it. If you're referring to the crease on the lower door, there is still hard camouflage under the graphics. It starts about 4" behind the front fender.

This isn't the best rendering, but the air breather and ankle line are somewhat close...
You might be right. And i hope you are.

But sweet baby jesus this rendering looks like pure crap, and unfortunately, it looks to be pretty close to the real deal, by looking at the mules. Sad days for bmw. But well, lets wait and see.
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2016, 12:56 PM   #31
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

But sweet baby jesus this rendering looks like pure crap, and unfortunately, it looks to be pretty close to the real deal, by looking at the mules. Sad days for bmw. But well, lets wait and see.
I was trying to be a bit PC, but yes that rendering is overall atrocious. It's the only one I've come across that reflects the lower door character line compared to the camo'd test cars though. I'm good at PS for photography, but useless at it to try a rendering of my own. I could probably manage a 3D model with the Catia Files I have for the car, but by the time I finish, the car will probably be out, not to mention a severe conflict of interest.

The G11/12 was previewed by the Concept Vision Future Luxury and it's been officially stated the Pininfarina Gran Lusso Concept Exterior is the basis for the G30 design. Add to that the recent Concept Compact Sedan for China market which is to be a more obtainable aspirational vehicle coupled with the 5er being the most popular BMW in that market. It's not coincidental.

I think the 5GT has a small chance of a Hockey Stick but I would wager against it.

I believe 1/2 and 5/6 will follow similar design details and then 3/4 will be influenced by 7/8/9.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 01:10 PM   #32
AKRAPOVICOWNS
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I was trying to be a bit PC, but yes that rendering is overall atrocious. It's the only one I've come across that reflects the lower door character line compared to the camo'd test cars though. I'm good at PS for photography, but useless at it to try a rendering of my own. I could probably manage a 3D model with the Catia Files I have for the car, but by the time I finish, the car will probably be out, not to mention a severe conflict of interest.

The G11/12 was previewed by the Concept Vision Future Luxury and it's been officially stated the Pininfarina Gran Lusso Concept Exterior is the basis for the G30 design. Add to that the recent Concept Compact Sedan for China market which is to be a more obtainable aspirational vehicle coupled with the 5er being the most popular BMW in that market. It's not coincidental.

I think the 5GT has a small chance of a Hockey Stick but I would wager against it.

I believe 1/2 and 5/6 will follow similar design details and then 3/4 will be influenced by 7/8/9.
The design of the g11 was frozen before the VFL was introduced, as per scott, so it wasn't really influenced by it.

I dont know where you took this gran lusso statement from, but the only similarity between this g30 and the concept, that seems plausible, are at most, some body lines, and even that i doubt so. This rendering you showed seems to depict very well the shape of the headlights, and to some small extent, a few body lines. But i agree that it looks really bad. Lets hope theres still some camo playing jokes at the headlights.

Now, as per scott again, the 6 will indeed be influenced by the VFL, as will the 8/9. He even posted this pic a while back depicting what could the 6-series look like:

Lets hope the new 5 comes out nicely...but gotta admit my hopes at this point aren't too high.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 01:40 PM   #33
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The design of the g11 was frozen before the VFL was introduced, as per scott, so it wasn't really influenced by it.

I dont know where you took this gran lusso statement from, but the only similarity between this g30 and the concept, that seems plausible, are at most, some body lines, and even that i doubt so. This rendering you showed seems to depict very well the shape of the headlights, and to some small extent, a few body lines. But i agree that it looks really bad. Lets hope theres still some camo playing jokes at the headlights.

Now, as per scott again, the 6 will indeed be influenced by the VFL, as will the 8/9. He even posted this pic a while back depicting what could the 6-series look like:

Lets hope the new 5 comes out nicely...but gotta admit my hopes at this point aren't too high.
It depends on how one interprets influenced by or previews/previewed. The concepts are usually done based off of production design sketches, so while yes G11/12 design was frozen before VFL was shown, doesn't mean that they had nothing to do which each other as the concept was visible before the production car. It also doesn't mean all elements make it to production nor does it mean all elements are limited to or will be included in various model types.

That rendering has a lot of incorrect detail elements, especially the front and the headlights. The created simply stretched and skewed F10 elements over a spy pic. Maybe I'll take a crack at one tomorrow if I have time.

The reference to the Gran Lusso has been said directly in a few interviews with BMW Execs and Designers and several magazines published articles a while back.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 05:56 PM   #34
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRAPOVICOWNS View Post
There is no "Hockey Stick" on the 5er Sedan/Touring. But there is a surface design element that highlights the Air breather without additional trim elements.
      03-19-2016, 06:03 PM   #35
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiten View Post

That is a very poor rendering as it does not include the more modern surface elements found outlining the headlights,bumper,glasshouse and Character line.
This M Sport does its best to show some surface details due to the lighting shining on the bodywork.
Attached Images

03-19-2016, 06:07 PM   #36
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

And here you can see the sharper outline of the grille connecting to a more sharper outline of the headlights.
Eliminating the more rounder features of the render.
But giving a clear impression that the 5er and the 7er are distinctively different cars with different ideas visually.
Attached Images

03-19-2016, 06:10 PM   #37
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26
Quote:

That is a very poor rendering as it does not include the more modern surface elements found outlining the headlights,bumper,glasshouse and Character line.
This M Sport does its best to show some surface details due to the lighting shining on the bodywork.
No disagreements there. It just was the only one that didn't have a "hockey stick" and many were still insisting it's there. Now that you've spoken and confirmed, a new round of better renderings is sure to come soon.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 12:51 PM   #38
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
No disagreements there. It just was the only one that didn't have a "hockey stick" and many were still insisting it's there. Now that you've spoken and confirmed, a new round of better renderings is sure to come soon.
I couldn't care less if there is a hockey stick or not...I'm just praying that we get a proper sports suspension option and not the crap that is offered on the F10. I had an F10 with sport package and adaptive dampers + ARS and it was awful. No resemblance whatsoever with my E60 with sport package and ARS which was awesome. Please BMW give us back the five we loved, the car that handles like a bigger 3 series and not wallow down the road with total isolation to the road like a small seven or Lexus...shudder.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 02:12 PM   #39
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice
Quote:
I couldn't care less if there is a hockey stick or not...I'm just praying that we get a proper sports suspension option and not the crap that is offered on the F10. I had an F10 with sport package and adaptive dampers + ARS and it was awful. No resemblance whatsoever with my E60 with sport package and ARS which was awesome. Please BMW give us back the five we loved, the car that handles like a bigger 3 series and not wallow down the road with total isolation to the road like a small seven or Lexus...shudder.
Overall, there will be many different suspension options on the G30, starting with steel springs and adjustable dampers, rear axle air, and 2 axle air. Of all the models in BMW's lineup, the 5er has the most ground to cover.

What will be offered in the US to start with has already been decided for the most part, but there is still time to make changes before the first order guides are locked in.

My prediction for first year:

530i - Standard Steel Spring with adjustable dampers, optional Sport Package with lowered ride height (-10mm) the latter separate or included with MSport. Integral Active Steering Optional.

540i/530e/540d- Standard Steel Spring with adjustable dampers, optional Sport Package with lowered ride height (-10mm), separate or included with MSport with no cost delete. Optional Adaptive M Suspension on MSport with rear Axle Air Suspension/steel spring front with firmer dampers and lowered ride height (-10mm). Integral Active Steering Optional.

550i/540e - Standard 2 Axle Air Suspension. MSport with firmer damper tuning, integral Active Steering Optional, Autobahn Package Optional.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 10:24 AM   #40
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRAPOVICOWNS View Post
There is no "Hockey Stick" on the 5er Sedan/Touring. But there is a surface design element that highlights the Air breather without additional trim elements.
Good, so will this have two different finishes like the hockey stick on the g11/12?

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 06:13 PM   #41
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmib View Post
Good, so will this have two different finishes like the hockey stick on the g11/12?
Yes on more luxury specified models there will be Chrome with of course Shadow Line option on the more sport oriented models.
      03-22-2016, 06:14 PM   #42
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

A new car with a new wheel option.
Attached Images

03-22-2016, 06:15 PM   #43
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

And an exposed front aerodynamics packet for the standard 5er.
Attached Images

03-24-2016, 10:02 AM   #44
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
SCOTT26 Any light you can shed here?

I can't believe that I'm starting to consider Mercedes over BMW....the new E43 AMG looks like it'll be pretty sweet. I really hope that BMW can recover some of that old suspension tuning magic. The F10 just was too much of a luxo barge.
Appreciate 0